Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850522 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #975 on: September 24, 2018, 10:19:28 pm »

Because it kinda fits with Squamous' questions:
When could NPC sites become moddable?
I think that if sites were moddable, you could ultimately save development time by essentially outsourcing the design work of NPC sites to community members who would probably come up with some interesting stuff. Of course, I know nothing about the code behind NPC sites, so I have no idea how difficult it would be to make them moddable, but could this potentially become more achievable after the map rewrite in the magic update?

Magic procgen civs will have procgen sites, I think.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 24, 2018, 11:00:25 pm »

I think that if sites were moddable, you could ultimately save development time by essentially outsourcing the design work of NPC sites to community members who would probably come up with some interesting stuff. Of course, I know nothing about the code behind NPC sites, so I have no idea how difficult it would be to make them moddable, but could this potentially become more achievable after the map rewrite in the magic update?

Do you have a source for this? They'll definitely need to be more generalized, but all I've seen from Toady is a statement that sites will eventually be more modular. I don't recall him giving a timeframe.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 24, 2018, 11:08:17 pm »

Do you have a source for this? They'll definitely need to be more generalized, but all I've seen from Toady is a statement that sites will eventually be more modular. I don't recall him giving a timeframe.
I don't remember.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 25, 2018, 12:35:47 am »

What kind of turn based Adventure mechanics are we going to see in the next release? I know we can use multi-move for most of it, but from what I've seen there are moves we can make, like actually moving to another tile, that can set off a turn. Will we get a way to hold off a turn until every member of our party has set their actions?

I plan on forming a D&D style party of my friends after I get comfortable with making parties in Adventure mode later on.
Lime green is the convention.

Adventurer Mode isn't turn based. Everything takes a specific amount of time to happen. If your speed is higher than normal then moving takes less time. You can see this in action by moving through a crowd of talking NPCs. If you crawl then they talk more during a single movement - if you sprint then they talk less per move.

I know Adventure mode isn't turn based itself, but with this new party mode being directly inspired by D&D, there could be allowances and modes made. We already have some leeway there with the multi-attack option allowing us to queue up moves in a single turn. All I'm asking is will there be more mechanics in place to let everybody in the party set their moves before actually committing them?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 25, 2018, 01:07:37 am »

Will night trolls be classified as villains?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 25, 2018, 05:55:04 am »

It doesn't seem particularly likely for the first pass. Villainous plots right now seem to rely on connections between civilized people, and night trolls either aren't part of civilizations in the first place, or leave civilization once forcefully converted. Eventually though, I imagine that they will be able to become villains (or more ambiguous figures, for that matter).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 25, 2018, 03:14:22 pm »

I look forward to a bug where a villain is turned in to a night troll spouse and proceeds to terrorize the world from their lair.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 25, 2018, 04:09:15 pm »

I look forward to a bug where a villain is turned in to a night troll spouse and proceeds to terrorize the world from their lair.
I see no bug, only emergent gameplay

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 25, 2018, 04:19:04 pm »

It doesn't seem particularly likely for the first pass. Villainous plots right now seem to rely on connections between civilized people, and night trolls either aren't part of civilizations in the first place, or leave civilization once forcefully converted. Eventually though, I imagine that they will be able to become villains (or more ambiguous figures, for that matter).
That said, how does a necromancer be a villain? They're mentioned in most of the villain update posts. These are the guys who hang out with zombies and spend centuries by themselves writing books in their towers, with occasional time-out to teach someone else the joys of such an existence. Not much different from a night-troll really.

What exactly are necromancers getting up to as villains? Do they have more outside interaction now? Hanging out in taverns making future zombie candidate false friendships and such?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:22:54 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 25, 2018, 06:19:19 pm »

That said, how does a necromancer be a villain? They're mentioned in most of the villain update posts. These are the guys who hang out with zombies and spend centuries by themselves writing books in their towers, with occasional time-out to teach someone else the joys of such an existence. Not much different from a night-troll really.
Ah, but unlike a night-troll a necromancer can pass for your ordinary Joe. It's rather harder for a one-eyed freak with non-Euclidean limbs to hang about inconspicuously in a tavern. Furthermore, I imagine a necromancer entity would treated from the out as a criminal network. You'd have the founder, with his various acolytes acting as lieutenants, all presiding over a network of mortal agents. The nonstop writing could replaced, or at least interspersed, with endless plotting to retrieve artifacts, "acquire" valuable specimens, or the like.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 25, 2018, 11:09:10 pm »

Ah, but unlike a night-troll a necromancer can pass for your ordinary Joe. It's rather harder for a one-eyed freak with non-Euclidean limbs to hang about inconspicuously in a tavern. Furthermore, I imagine a necromancer entity would treated from the out as a criminal network. You'd have the founder, with his various acolytes acting as lieutenants, all presiding over a network of mortal agents. The nonstop writing could replaced, or at least interspersed, with endless plotting to retrieve artifacts, "acquire" valuable specimens, or the like.
Maybe we'll see letter writing introduced. That way necromancers can stay at home and do all their scheming by mail.
They're represented with a night beast symbol Ñ right now, so I always imagined them as evil looking liche dudes who don't blend in well.

--

Another question:
Are elves getting any more positions?

They don't have many basic positions, unlike dwarves and the new variable position humans and goblins, so scheming network opportunities would seem to be fewer.

Although, maybe it suits the mood to have elves fairly resiliant to the rest of the world's scheming shenanigans (besides all those who wander far from the home tree to live the dream of being a naked troupe dancer).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:27:28 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 26, 2018, 01:57:41 am »

Will we be able to play villains?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 26, 2018, 03:39:26 am »

Yes. Isn't that in the devblog already? Has been covered in fotf at least. You can give orders to your party members, which can be of the villanous kind. So essentially you can set up a bandit camp and play warlord.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 26, 2018, 03:57:55 am »

Yes. Isn't that in the devblog already? Has been covered in fotf at least. You can give orders to your party members, which can be of the villanous kind. So essentially you can set up a bandit camp and play warlord.
Time to violence the entire world with style, then.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 26, 2018, 05:00:14 am »

I may have missed this, and I'm sorry if I have, but...

Are you planning on working on Guilds and/or Societies relatively soon, now that you're trying to create reasons for people to form relationships?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 389