Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850206 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #990 on: September 26, 2018, 05:01:26 am »

I may have missed this, and I'm sorry if I have, but...

Are you planning on working on Guilds and/or Societies relatively soon, now that you're trying to create reasons for people to form relationships?
Might have to wait until Laws & Customs (~6 years).
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 27, 2018, 02:39:37 am »

Since this week will be fotf devlog ill cheat the system and ask
What is your progress with villain update for this week? :D

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 27, 2018, 03:54:07 am »

Since this week will be fotf devlog ill cheat the system and ask
What is your progress with villain update for this week? :D
I would laugh if he added a duplicate of the entire fotf answer at the end to answer your question...

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 27, 2018, 01:53:43 pm »

Are there plans to eventually allow for creatures with a child stage (such as insect larva) that are drastically different from the adult stage?

(Currently, this is impossible to do. But, considering the structure and description of the Purring Maggot, I have to wonder if it was originally envisioned to be the larval stage of a monstrous insect.)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 28, 2018, 03:32:26 am »

I may have missed this, and I'm sorry if I have, but...

Are you planning on working on Guilds and/or Societies relatively soon, now that you're trying to create reasons for people to form relationships?
Might have to wait until Laws & Customs (~6 years).

Maybe not entirely, there's usually always the founding elements that Toady tends to seed into their work and a 'society' of assassins/consorting night creatures like vampire covens and/or villianous folk to target people in plots may be a slight implementation of that to test co-ordinated internal actions and presence of a group inside a society.

They were adding upon the data structures in 08/18/2018 'ths devlog report to give some as they say "fleshing out and flavour" so people in town's aren't all on their lonesome.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 28, 2018, 04:54:57 am »

Are there plans to eventually allow for creatures with a child stage (such as insect larva) that are drastically different from the adult stage?

(Currently, this is impossible to do. But, considering the structure and description of the Purring Maggot, I have to wonder if it was originally envisioned to be the larval stage of a monstrous insect.)
Eventually is a long time. ;) I'm pretty sure I've seen this mentioned as being planned, but that transformations and the like can be tricky. Since these things are important for insects and other creatures to work, they should be planned. However, I can't find a definite mention that they are planned.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 28, 2018, 08:09:24 am »

From past comments, work on metamorphosis has always been waiting for magic, so it may not be far away (by Df standards). I wouldn't get my hopes up, though. It sounds complex and time-consuming enough to be set aside from the initial magic implementation.

From 2009 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21498.msg399576#msg399576
Quote from: Ampersand
Question for future creature polymorphism. Will it be capable of changing the morph of a creature at a given trigger?
Once it can handle the transition from, say, a tadpole to a toad, then there wouldn't be as many restrictions, but I'm not handling that for a while.  It'll need to tie in to hybridization, weird minotaur/centaurization stuff, and polymorph wound/inv retention, that kind of thing.  Probably an extension of the body part categories or something.

From 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg1047755#msg1047755
Quote from: JoshuaFH
In the future, will it be possible to create creatures that 'transform' upon receiving certain stimuli, or after meeting some condition? Like, a snake that transforms into a bird and back? Or a caterpillar that undergoes the various stages of cacoon to a butterfly?
There are a boatload of problems that I think were brought up, but it's something that'll likely happen as we move toward magic and also work out how things like metamorphosis and eggs and all that work out.

From 2011 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84398.msg2305361#msg2305361
Quote from: Neoskel
Were-critters involve temporary transformations into different creatures, with at least a tail being added to the body in most cases and lost upon turning back. Does this mean that natural metamorphosis will be available? Things like tadpoles gaining legs and losing tails when they change into frogs or mantis nymphs gaining wings as they become adults.
It'll start to lay some of the groundwork for that, but I'm not going to jump into that just yet.  Wounds don't need to be preserved as much, and there isn't anything gradually about it, so it's easier to the the werebeasts.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:20:48 am by DG »

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 28, 2018, 08:14:20 pm »

Why don't you integrate the quality of life features present in dfhack (toggling priorities, planning mode, sand presence on embark to name a few) into the base game?
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 28, 2018, 08:29:43 pm »

Time/opportunity cost.

Toady's response on graphics is probably fitting here (don't have link to it handy rn); it seems there's community effort on that already in hand so can leave it later.

(That's not to say something like it won't be done, such as with building renaming or management, just not a priority.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 28, 2018, 08:47:45 pm »

Why don't you integrate the quality of life features present in dfhack (toggling priorities, planning mode, sand presence on embark to name a few) into the base game?
Almost all of it is likely to get into the game eventually, (or not be needed due to the implmentation of other systems. Of course, they'll be systems made to integrate with the game and be future proof so probably quite different (if only internally) to the features Dfhack currently offers.

Toady's qol updates are often based on player suggestions. Dfhack team make qol updates based on what players want. It's the same thing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:52:35 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 30, 2018, 10:18:16 am »

Ah, okay. A bit annoying but it'll happen when it happens then I guess.
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 30, 2018, 01:53:22 pm »

0.43.01, if you'll recall, was an update that did nearly exactly this, implementing many features of DFHack's "workflow" plugin into the base game's j->m or u->m manager screen.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 30, 2018, 03:19:04 pm »

Bit of a self-bump here. I know that testing long-term mechanics is difficult for you due to the time required.  That said, are you aware of current issues with the new stress sytem? (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171185.0) Based on reports here & in Reddit, stress-reducing effects seem greatly underpowered compared to stress-causing effects.

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 30, 2018, 07:04:57 pm »

Will plots be able to come in multiple stages, say a person wants to be immortal and take over the world, would steal a necomancer’s slab, learn the secrets of life and death, then male an unstoppable undead army to take over the world?

On a related note, would plotters be ‘greedy’ and do opportunite things like steal a gold ring while carrying out a plot?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 01, 2018, 01:09:22 pm »

So, apparently, children can now be born out of wedlock. Can a modder modify the likelihood of such an event, possibly by a new ethic?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 389