Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851278 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1050 on: October 08, 2018, 01:29:37 am »

Yall can just add your favorite bodyparts and functions yourselves anyway. It wouldnt even be that difficult.
And keep your fun to yourself if you do...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: October 08, 2018, 01:59:37 am »

EDIT: And even with violence Toady has his limits, as demonstrated by the mermaid bone-farming debacle.
There's nothing preventing you from farming mermaids for fun.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: October 08, 2018, 03:42:29 am »

EDIT: And even with violence Toady has his limits, as demonstrated by the mermaid bone-farming debacle.

I do not see the connection to this discussion. Because of the violence? Because mermaids are sapient? There are other things players can do in DF that are just as violent and cruel.

AFAIK, the main reason that mermaid bone-farming was fixed was because it was very clearly a money exploit. From what I remember, the profit potential was huge. That, and it probably did not match what was intended. I can see how it could seem silly if mermaid farms became a typical feature of forts near the ocean rather than a rare oddity.

There's nothing preventing you from farming mermaids for fun.

Sure. But, without a money incentive, it seems pointless.

I suppose there's nothing stopping someone from modding mermaids to once again have a real incentive. However, as I pointed out, the same can not be said for modding in genitalia. Yes, we can mod them in. But without a connection to gelding/sterility... It would be weird if a creature still ended up fathering children after castration.

Yall can just add your favorite bodyparts and functions yourselves anyway. It wouldnt even be that difficult.

"Difficult" is a relative term. I'm not talking about modding gender-specific parts onto just dwarves, I'm talking about adding them to all civilized races and most mammals. That's a lot of raws, esp. to keep them all maintained between updates.

As far as I can tell, Genesis Mod was the only mod to do genitalia. And it was dropped a long time ago. Not even TomiTapio's OldGenesis has them. If it was "easy", wouldn't there have been others?

But, you're right: Modding in gender-specific parts is not hard. (Just a little tedious.) Though, as I said, it seems impossible to connect modded parts to gelding and sterility. And it seems weird and somewhat pointless without that.

I'm against that, because it would literally add nothing and Toady's time is best spent on other things.

I can't help but smile at this. :) You see, the same argument was used against adding in sexual preferences. I even think I said the same myself, almost word for word. It seemed pointless to me and I also thought Toady's time was better spent on other things. But there was quite a debate about this topic and, sure enough, it got added anyway.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 03:52:59 am by Thundercraft »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: October 08, 2018, 04:29:14 am »

Unlike with sexual orientations, Toady is actually aversed to adding genitals. Persistently trying to change Toady's personal preferences is like trying to stop a freight train by jumping in front of it.

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: October 08, 2018, 05:43:46 am »

Dudes no need to argue about wieners. I feel very sorry that i asked this stupid question and it got a debate in fotf thread which supposed to be used for questions, not arguing. Lets just get over it and start asking questions again.

In your presentation you said that we can send our companions to do mischief and that its similar to raid menu in fort mode. Will we be able to specify mischief (like send some guys on a raid/raze/stealing artifact mission) and how will they find the adventurer when they finished with their mission? Like if i send someone to form links i think that he should come back and tell about links that have been formed/mischiefs that he had done. So how will he find me in a big world map?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: October 08, 2018, 05:54:40 am »

Dudes no need to argue about wieners. I feel very sorry that i asked this stupid question and it got a debate in fotf thread which supposed to be used for questions, not arguing. Lets just get over it and start asking questions again.

In your presentation you said that we can send our companions to do mischief and that its similar to raid menu in fort mode. Will we be able to specify mischief (like send some guys on a raid/raze/stealing artifact mission) and how will they find the adventurer when they finished with their mission? Like if i send someone to form links i think that he should come back and tell about links that have been formed/mischiefs that he had done. So how will he find me in a big world map?
You can PM Toady to delete your question and all of the arguing about it.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: October 08, 2018, 06:04:30 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hm, nice question, hadn't even occurred to me. I'm interested in the answer. Maybe you set up a rendezvous point beforehand or they just return to the place that you gave the order to wait for you?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: October 08, 2018, 06:19:58 am »

Nor do I believe it is possible to induce sterility after the loss or injury of modded genitals.
I think it is now possible with the addition of geldables. The geldable organs presently are the guts, but I imagine the tags can be changed around and added to modded genitals.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:39:22 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1058 on: October 08, 2018, 07:38:44 am »

Minor correction - geldables are just a token added to the lower body on a caste-only basis for males of the vast majority of creatures, rather than an organ - if you were to add in a separate genital part that can be targetted and has that same token then severing them would actually induce sterility (if you notice, reanimated zombie torsos of male creatures have the male symbol surrounded by two X's - that indicates the creature either had its geldables removed, or the body part that had them was removed).

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1059 on: October 08, 2018, 11:55:02 am »

As far as I can tell, Genesis Mod was the only mod to do genitalia. And it was dropped a long time ago. Not even TomiTapio's OldGenesis has them. If it was "easy", wouldn't there have been others?
Wouldn't it be trivial though? This sounds like something you could literally set in the BDP or similar, and have it apply to all species that use said plans. And as ZM5 says, geld-ability literally is already compatible with extra organs. Why is there all this compassion about a feature being unmoddable coming from someone who hasn't even dug through the raws enough to understand that?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1060 on: October 08, 2018, 12:37:18 pm »

To be fair, it would actually be rather tedious to update it to assign to ALL male creatures, since in order to assign genitals properly you'd need to either rearrange the castes or add in a new tissue layer plan for them - if you were to just add them into the male caste as-is they would lack layers and everything would pass through them.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: October 08, 2018, 06:12:28 pm »

From your perspective, would it fall under the purview of goblin civilization (or, more specifically, any civ with the babysnatcher tag) to snatch babies from uncivilized peoples, or should they only take interest in civilized sites as is currently? Would be quite FUN to discover that the local Dark Fortress has salt water crocodile men, harpies, and heck, a small population of giants in their ranks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:09:23 pm by ShinQuickMan »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: October 08, 2018, 06:39:44 pm »

As long as you could play as said giants...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: October 09, 2018, 02:11:50 am »

From your perspective, would it fall under the purview of goblin civilization (or, more specifically, any civ with the babysnatcher tag) to snatch babies from uncivilized peoples, or should they only take interest in civilized sites as is currently? Would be quite FUN to discover that the local Dark Fortress has salt water crocodile men, harpies, and heck, a small population of giants in their ranks.

Sounds more like a suggestion to be honest, but yeah expanding the behaviour as time goes on i can see Toady doing, but until now they've swerved around questions, particularly saying things like making until the point where it may be viable to 'change perspective' and offer the non modded playability of other races and move away from the purely dwarven viewpoint, dwarf centricity will be his focus and the rest can hold off for now.

He wouldn't add any more particular goblin mechanics until they get their own little playable integration into the modes. But for now you can simply fumble with the RAW's a bit, add the fortress reliant code to make it on-par with dwarf mode or a little bit more unique in certain ways by yourself (goblins have different needs for one, you can go a step further and give them unconventional weapons and a noble power structure, even modifying things like religion & art basis by shifting modifiers)

• Or you can RAW in the ability to select them out of a list of dwarf, human & elf civ's as a adventurer and go out into the world as a goblin civilisation member with the objective to do redeeming heroic acts or more preferably to your political situation become a villainous conqueror and raiding pillager.

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: October 09, 2018, 11:13:13 am »

All questions here about the next update (or updates before the big wait).
1. When playing necromancer or vampire in adventure mode will we be able to promise our companions/random people secrets of life and death/eternal life to get them as our minions (if their goals are the same/similar with the promise)
1.1 Will we be able to turn our whole adventure party into vampires/necros with their agreement?
2. Will loyal adventurers that were with you through some fights with beasts/gobbos/etc. attack you if they find out that you are a vampire/necro?
3. Will we be able to do mischief in fort mode? Make agents, send them to elven forest and make them start a war with humans/do something else
4. You were talking about villains that have a goal but will there be villains without one? Villains whospread chaos/agony/pain? Force of nature Villains as they called. That category might fit demons or beasts
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 389