Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850543 times)

a52

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes crows for their intelligence.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1095 on: October 21, 2018, 09:36:00 pm »

Will the event knowledge system be reworked any time soon? There are a lot of cases where, say, a location is mentioned to an adventurer, and it doesn't transfer to the adventurer's talk menu, the adventurer's log/status screen, and/or the legends screen (with legends not revealed by default).

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1096 on: October 21, 2018, 09:40:15 pm »

Will the event knowledge system be reworked any time soon? There are a lot of cases where, say, a location is mentioned to an adventurer, and it doesn't transfer to the adventurer's talk menu, the adventurer's log/status screen, and/or the legends screen (with legends not revealed by default).
Sounds like you should make a bug report.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 21, 2018, 10:01:29 pm »

Hey, I get that deities in general won't be worked on until the Magic Update, but at some point before that could you at least fix it so that Adventurers from an Elven civ have a way to satisfy the need to pray? Cause right now praying doesn't work for Elven adventurers even though they have religion. It's cause of the different worship system I think.
The thing is, are force worshippers even meant to pray? There's no point in taking the time to add a temporary 'let elves pray' placeholder to get around a minor bug that you can easily workaround (reduce need to pray in character creation) if it's just going to be removed in the next development arc. Everyone has their pet bugs, there's really no point in posting hundreds of 'when will you fix xyz?' demands here.

If it's not been reported, report it. If it's a major crash bug it'll get looked at. If it has nothing to do with current development, it probably won't be prioritised (might get fixed, but so might any of the other hundreds of bugs on the tracker).

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 22, 2018, 02:30:18 am »

Will we see an overhaul of military invasions before the big wait? Right now they invasion mechanics are more than a little wonky, with armies arriving in small groups over a period of weeks before finally gathering and launching a weird and anticlimactic attack on the site that the player can't really do much about. That's my experience with it anyway. Will this change at all in the future? And also, will the previously mentioned adventure mode military improvements (adventurers leading armies for example) be implemented either?
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: October 22, 2018, 07:14:12 am »

I keep hearing people mention merchant caravans, where is the source for this being added soon?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: October 22, 2018, 07:19:15 am »

I keep hearing people mention merchant caravans, where is the source for this being added soon?

When in doubt, check the devlog

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 22, 2018, 07:21:09 am »

I keep forgetting that exists...

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: October 22, 2018, 08:54:07 am »

:o It's not your homepage?

a52

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes crows for their intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: October 22, 2018, 06:31:13 pm »

Sounds like you should make a bug report.

Currently working on a huge list of experiments to test information transfer between npc + adventurers, adventurers + legends, etc., which I'll probably post both on the forums and the Mantis BT. But it obviously wouldn't be worth it if the system was already planned to be rewritten/in the process of being rewritten.

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 24, 2018, 01:18:30 pm »

I have some questions about new devlog (as usual at this point, sorry if im overflowing you with questions).
Will trading companies be able to open a branch warehouse in our fortress? If so will multiple companies be able to do it? Will this be the same with religion? What would be our benefit from letting them open a warehouse in our fortress? Will they build it themselves or we will have to construct it for them?

Also this one is kinda offtopic and i think its been answered here before but can Toady put screenshots in devlogs? Or site's engine wont allow it? It would be fun to look at forgotten beast warehouse administrator picture. Or at any picture related to the new things being made (especially when it comes to the big wait)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1105 on: October 24, 2018, 01:36:20 pm »

I am pretty sure the engine(is it anything but raw html+css?) allows screenshots, but I think he just can't be bothered most of the time :p He did show screenshots of stuff in previous devlogs, the towns come to mind.

As for the rest, my best guess is that he hasn't figured it out yet: The dev cycle is currently in the 'stick stuff into worldgen that the villain ai can gnaw on' so there hasn't been much gameplay stuff yet(beyond flavor text).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: October 24, 2018, 02:57:08 pm »

Also this one is kinda offtopic and i think its been answered here before but can Toady put screenshots in devlogs? Or site's engine wont allow it? It would be fun to look at forgotten beast warehouse administrator picture. Or at any picture related to the new things being made (especially when it comes to the big wait)

Here are a few devlogs in the past with screenshots: 1, 2, 3. There is a lot more screenshots in pre-2012. Mostly for map-related features, but there are also ones non-map related (example). I personally hope to see more visual examples in the future too, to gain a better understanding of what to expect in practice, specifically for map features.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 24, 2018, 05:24:34 pm »

2 questions:

When you talk about silly additions, what do you mean?   My experience with previous additions is that the silly stuff is normally caused by weird interactions between recently fleshed out systems and systems that are still placeholders.

As Dwarf Fortress gets more complex, how do you check for bugs?  It seems too complex to exhaustively search the event space, but just turning it on and seeing what pops out seems likely to miss things.  Maybe I should specifically ask how you came to check what happened to the trade warehouse when the fortress got hit by a forgotten beast?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 24, 2018, 08:57:17 pm »

2 questions:

When you talk about silly additions, what do you mean?   My experience with previous additions is that the silly stuff is normally caused by weird interactions between recently fleshed out systems and systems that are still placeholders.

As Dwarf Fortress gets more complex, how do you check for bugs?  It seems too complex to exhaustively search the event space, but just turning it on and seeing what pops out seems likely to miss things.  Maybe I should specifically ask how you came to check what happened to the trade warehouse when the fortress got hit by a forgotten beast?
"Silly" additions just meant that, as usual, he was taking things a little too far. Adding so many interactions to the world to support his villains. Merchants, religion, crime, etc. But as he said, that helps produce a deep meaningful system.

Please keep being silly Tarn (fix stress too, sure, but silly is good).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:59:27 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 24, 2018, 11:53:22 pm »

You mentioned in the 10/23/2018 devlog post that a forgotten beast attacked a fortress. Was this in worldgen? To my knowledge, forgotten beasts don't come out from underground during in worldgen in the current version (0.44.12). Or was this during post-wg fortress mode?

edit: removed green coloring because it was addressed
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 02:17:38 am by Hinaichigo »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 389