Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851401 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1170 on: November 16, 2018, 09:29:33 am »

I thought id follow up on the above question since the cult was brought up.

Will there be any rules on who can join particular night beast or enclosed villian network?

EI you must be willingly converted into a vampire to join a vampire cult's scheme or be recruited from many of the blood drinkers hiding away in civilisations with the associated secret handshakes that come with the job.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: November 16, 2018, 10:00:17 am »

Will there be procedurally-generated secret handshakes?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 16, 2018, 10:07:13 am »

Will there be procedurally-generated secret handshakes?

Ah yes, the coveted overhand pinky finger tussel, spinning around in a circle & while doing a headstand reciting the poem "The Lyres of Trussing"

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 16, 2018, 10:33:35 am »

^ Yes please. Toady should feel free to go just as far on this as he did with instruments and music styles :P
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: November 17, 2018, 08:59:49 am »

EI you must be willingly converted into a vampire to join a vampire cult's scheme or be recruited from many of the blood drinkers hiding away in civilisations with the associated secret handshakes that come with the job.

I thought non-vampires would be much in demand in vampire circles for nutritional reasons............ 

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 17, 2018, 09:42:27 am »

Will the villain update change how hearthperson quests work? Like the "cause trouble" quest for bandits is one people still aren't quite sure how to solve, so will it be replaced by more complex villain shenanigans?
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 17, 2018, 11:57:55 am »

Will the villain update change how hearthperson quests work? Like the "cause trouble" quest for bandits is one people still aren't quite sure how to solve, so will it be replaced by more complex villain shenanigans?

Bandit quests at least can be completed, it's "drive off group" that's broken: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9995
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FrankVill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 17, 2018, 02:51:58 pm »

Nowadays dwarfs only sleep or eat in order of their own needs. They donīt seem that day/night cycle have any influence on them. There is always a constant activity in every fortress.
1- In what arc do you plan to make that almost all dwarfs dream on the night and there was silence and quiet under the moon? and what previous requisits would the game needs to have by you could implement it?
2- How do you believe that it could affect at game rythm? I sometimes imagine the possible result and I think that any construction would be slower or something like this ( I am too accustomed to frenetic life style of dwarfs, ha ha)
3- Is there any future feature waiting for night dreams or this only would change the way of tell stories? (maybe vampyrs will become more interesting than now)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:53:55 pm by FrankVill »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 17, 2018, 05:21:55 pm »

Nowadays dwarfs only sleep or eat in order of their own needs. They donīt seem that day/night cycle have any influence on them. There is always a constant activity in every fortress.
1- In what arc do you plan to make that almost all dwarfs dream on the night and there was silence and quiet under the moon? and what previous requisits would the game needs to have by you could implement it?
2- How do you believe that it could affect at game rythm? I sometimes imagine the possible result and I think that any construction would be slower or something like this ( I am too accustomed to frenetic life style of dwarfs, ha ha)
3- Is there any future feature waiting for night dreams or this only would change the way of tell stories? (maybe vampyrs will become more interesting than now)

actually, they do sleep at night in adventure mode. As for fortress mode, there IS no day/night cycle to speak of. If you look at the date on the z-screen, you'll see why: the days are going by very fast. So dwarfs actually sleep once a month or so, rather then every night. Toady has previously stated that that time-discrepancy is unlikely to be fixed, at least not any time soon, because it is such an integrated part of the game.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1179 on: November 17, 2018, 05:27:10 pm »

Truly, the saddest thing about this is that no dwarf will be able to celebrate their birthday during fort mode. :<
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 18, 2018, 12:12:57 am »

Over the years there have been many suggestions for implementing a day/night cycle into fortmode, usually by extending how long an in-game year takes. From memory*, Tarn doesn't think slowing things down in fortmode to make room for day/night cycles would be good for gameplay/fun. The same sort of reason that the "realistic" mining suggestions gained no traction. An opinion can change, though, and as more and more features are added to fortmode that butt against the time discrepancy there will be more impetus to shift. When the game was mostly just about building stuff and fighting enemies spawned on the map edge it was easy to argue that slowing down time, and thus the building of stuff, served no fun purpose.

If worst comes to worst, for those of us who want it, we can just wait for all fortmode features to be put into adventure mode and then just pretend that fortmode doesn't exist.  :P

*a memory too vague to know where to find a relevant quote, so apply a grain of salt. I did find the one about not yet having an answer to the time discrepancy and that it will likely only get worse http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159164.msg7410016#msg7410016

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 18, 2018, 02:21:11 am »

There's always the possibility of abstracting the day/night cycle to take up a week or so.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: November 18, 2018, 06:58:35 am »

I don't remember a so long period without a devlog before. I hope everything is fine for Toady !

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1183 on: November 18, 2018, 07:26:42 am »

He had that talk in Zürich, meaning he went all the way to Switzerland. Maybe he did some sightseeing before coming back? If there's one place with lots of dorfy stuff it's in the Alps :)

Or he went sightseeing in the new adventure mode locations he was gonna poke at :p
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: November 18, 2018, 07:38:35 am »

There's been rather long stretches of silence before (unfortunately), although the last time we were warned about involvements in other activities.

Day/night cycles, normal eating frequency, etc. more or less require fortress dorfs to move at full speed, as well as a dramatic revamp of agriculture to provide those mountains of food (which probably requires stockpiles to be revised as well, so all that stuff can be stored). As mentioned, it also would make any fortress level activities take an eternity (or, rather, about 72 times as long).

Of course, you can introduce day/might visual effects that flicker on and off, but that doesn't provide any game play benefit.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 389