Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850117 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1185 on: November 19, 2018, 10:24:33 pm »

Well, it's easy enough to rationalize. Two weeks ago was the Zurich trip, so devblog by live Twitter feed. It's fairly common for there not to be an update when Toady's away. Then this week was...ah, yeah, must be that new Fun stuff that Toady said he wouldn't tell us about (how villains infiltrate the fortress and corrupt your bookkeepers). Yeah, that sounds convincing...
So that means we're not due an update until Thursday/Friday. Yeah. Stay calm. Stop hammering refresh...

(Toady was gushing about Ultima Underworld on Twitter a couple of days ago, and Liking related tweets just 10 hours ago, so nothing's seriously wrong).

--Edit
Oh, there we go. Jetlag, yeah I can totally get that.
"Only" religion and corruption to go.  :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:20:19 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1186 on: November 21, 2018, 02:08:56 pm »

Ah man, the longer I am playing adventure mode, the more dumb questions I get.

1. Friendships and similar links are made during worldgen and in fort mode. Will, if we expel a dwarf, this dwarf continue creating such links in the hillocks or wherever they are?

From the devlogs(08/18) and comments by a.o. rumrusher in the adventure mode forum, I understand that one of the reasons that adventure mode skirmishes tend to be a little lackluster is because most figures in adventure mode are pulled from the entity pops and are just answering questions from a flashcard, which is what leads to all the 'I know who my liege is, but I have no opinion on them and also can't tell you where they are' because they never met their liege being fresh histfigs, and so if they see the guy attacked it's like 'I have no real opinion on this person, but that fight sure looks scary' and then they run away. And all this linking stuff is to reduce that type of response (because it would make villains inciting trouble also pretty lackluster).

2. Is it planned to have the fresh histfigs make use of all these new positions and the like to guess at how they feel about an attack or a person? Like, will a fresh peasant, who follows the god of agriculture really religiously, recognize the priest of that religion and infer they have a link? Or a weaver recognize their guild representatives and try to help them when they're in trouble? Or is this only for preexisting histfigs for now?

3. Now that such links are more important in the world sim, will we be getting information about those links being made through the rumour system. Or, to be more blunt: Will the npcs now do proper gossiping instead of just scaring each other with stories about the dragon in the cave on the other end of the world? Because I've never come across for example, them telling each other so-and-so had a baby even though that is definitely something that happens in the world sim.

4. Do you think the upcoming system would already be capable of world war 1 diplomacy cascades where one thing goes wrong and several linked entities are suddenly at war with one another?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: November 22, 2018, 08:18:32 am »

A quick question from the Tea suggestion thread -

Will dwarves always be the primary protagonists of the game?  Will they cease to exist in no magic realms?  Will the name of the game change if Dwarves are deposed in such a fashion?  Bonus question - What can I do to make sure Dwarves are always in the limelight, because screw playin filthy humies.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 22, 2018, 09:07:22 am »

I recall asking similar questions in the past and having them answered. Dwarves, as well as elves, goblins, kobolds, etc. won't exist in extremely low-fantasy worlds (though presumably you could still mod them to be able to appear in them), and eventually all major civs will be playable. But no, the name of the game is unlikely to change any time soon since it's become so iconic.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:25:41 am by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: November 22, 2018, 11:11:02 am »

Adding to PlumpHelmetMan's answers: The sliders will also allow worlds that have all the recognizable races replaced by gradually odder races (in gradually odder worlds).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 22, 2018, 11:19:23 am »

And then you get to the world where your "dwarves" are maggot people digging around in the bowels of some world-sized creature.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: November 22, 2018, 11:25:14 am »

And then you get to the world where your "dwarves" are maggot people digging around in the bowels of some world-sized creature.
Watch out for that giant white blood cell...

Also, changing the game's name would cause confusion, so it's not wise to do that. The game has existed for 15 years now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:16:23 pm by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 23, 2018, 07:30:55 pm »

1. Will civilizations sometimes in times of war draft their citizens into the army?
2. If they do perform drafts might our player adventurers from those civilizations sometimes be drafted into the army?
3. Will the purposes of magic organizations include more things besides magic related stuff? For example in one world could a civilization have an army of war wizards?
4. If drafts are a thing that can be performed will our adventurer made hamlets eventually be able to draft citizens into our armies?

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 23, 2018, 07:46:34 pm »

Will modders be able to create new entities like companies or guilds or at least be able to modify the existing ones to customise the names of titles and stuff like that?
Will modders be able to restrict certain civilisations from being able to found organisation entities like those?

I'm sure this one has been asked before, but:
In the latest Threetoe story it says
"They often spent years in an unbroken trance, projecting their spirits into Osoai. In that place, where lost souls swam, time passed quickly, so that during what seemed like an hour spent there, a year passed on Earth."
Would these differing time scales between worlds actually be doable in DF? When you return to the normal world, you'd have to wait for the time progression to be calculated, which would surely take a long (real life) time. Did you think of any possible work around for this?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 23, 2018, 09:38:17 pm »

Quote from: Death Dragon
Would these differing time scales between worlds actually be doable in DF? When you return to the normal world, you'd have to wait for the time progression to be calculated, which would surely take a long (real life) time. Did you think of any possible work around for this?
It's been discussed in the past, yes. Skipping large chunks of time quickly, like in initial worldgen, seems to be an eventual goal (reinforced in this story, but also in the more mundane goal of "settle down, retire, play as your descendents".

To paraphrase Toady, tehnically it's really difficult and won't be something to address on a whim. But, not impossible and may be attempted one day.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:45:06 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Townsey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 24, 2018, 04:00:46 am »

In adventure mode, will creatures raised using necromancer abilities be treated as pets? Perhaps even making them mountable? Edit: I am talking about the next update which will introduce pets and parties to adventure mode, not about the long-term magic stuff
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:07:08 pm by Townsey »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 24, 2018, 04:49:59 am »

In adventure mode, will creatures raised using necromancer abilities be treated as pets? Perhaps even making them mountable?

Its subjective and will really depend on how pernament and the circumstances necromancy will be after the magic system is put in, right now i think it treats them as 'implicit followers' since they're connected to you personally and in some bugs might attack the other people you're travelling with.

EI: You ressurect your lifetime friend's corpse, they would now either be your pet under your definition or if the magic had criteria to make soulless/soul-bound undead intelligent people he'd be your follower, but probably not both and would carry out actions to your whim he would not commit in life.

Question building upon the one above: Will interactions with megabeasts ever be the target of villian networks. ei:such as the said necromancer building forces or hiring agents to slay a dragon so he can command and ride it personally into battle through ressurection being the cataclysmic end-goal.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:53:34 am by FantasticDorf »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 24, 2018, 04:55:32 am »

In adventure mode, will creatures raised using necromancer abilities be treated as pets? Perhaps even making them mountable?
Above reply is for the long term, but do you just mean, "in the next release when pets are introduced"?

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 24, 2018, 10:20:25 am »

It would be absolutely amazing is this is part of the next update.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #1199 on: November 24, 2018, 11:35:58 am »

For religions in the world, how expansive will the framework for that be? Will it draw a distinction between a dominant/origin/umbrella faith and religious denominations/subgroups/sects/cults? Or is the plan to treat everything as an entirely seperate group?

Is there any plans to change how groups currently handle identity change? They currently seem to reinvent themselves anytime someone in charge kicks the bucket and is succeded by another member, which inadvertantly stops them from gaining a recognisable presence or legacy in the world due to the rate of turnover.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 03:07:08 pm by WordsandChaos »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 389