Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850840 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1245 on: December 01, 2018, 03:00:50 am »

Interesting answers as usual, even if your answer didn't involve the main thought that I was pondering about (the "how do you think the existing feature makes sense from an in-universe perspective" thing). XP

Always amusing to ponder such things.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: December 01, 2018, 03:12:23 am »

Thanks for the answers!
Ha. Kind of expected Games weren't coming back on a whim. Thought it best to check though. :)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: December 01, 2018, 07:16:46 am »

Thanks for the answers Toady.

Im kicking myself now because i had a question (to be answered in a months time  :P ) that only entered my head to ask this morning rather than last night after sleeping on it.

Will fortress dwarves with the potential for evil scheming (please excuse the explicitly specific examples but necromancer/vampire being atypical villians) use retired or abandoned fortresses as a base, or is this immunized in world generation?

These are the kinds of things players i reckon could foster on site (maybe accidently) in terms of world building, as to note its quite similar to kruggsmash's illustrated youtube series. (any wondering where the inspiration for the question came there then ) Though of course the weaponization of 100's of goblin corpses from uncleaned up seiges would mean they have plenty of ammunition and maybe be able to skip to the end of their master plan of collection in the necromancer's case.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: December 01, 2018, 07:27:38 am »

Thanks for the Fof as always toady
I think I'm being completely honest when I say that I wouldn't have a problem waiting for 2020 if we actually got procgen tavern games. And I think I'm not the only one that'd love that
All mechanics that are intended to be implemented will take a certain ammount of time to do so, why not add tangible ways for dwarves to gain crippling debt now that the possibility of having gambling related crippling debt is being added?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1249 on: December 01, 2018, 07:34:58 am »

Thanks for the answers Toady.

Im kicking myself now because i had a question (to be answered in a months time  :P ) that only entered my head to ask this morning rather than last night after sleeping on it.

Will fortress dwarves with the potential for evil scheming (please excuse the explicitly specific examples but necromancer/vampire being atypical villians) use retired or abandoned fortresses as a base, or is this immunized in world generation?

These are the kinds of things players i reckon could foster on site (maybe accidently) in terms of world building, as to note its quite similar to kruggsmash's illustrated youtube series. (any wondering where the inspiration for the question came there then ) Though of course the weaponization of 100's of goblin corpses from uncleaned up seiges would mean they have plenty of ammunition and maybe be able to skip to the end of their master plan of collection in the necromancer's case.

The devlist does say this is the plan(it's under 'Treasure Hunter'), but I guess we don't know if it is going to come in sooner or later.

Like, some of the law/property framework stuff is going to be spent on not just letting civs generate starting scenarios but also have them have an understanding about why they wanted this hamlet here(so it can produce food), or why they wanted a temple there(because divine law), so there's a good chance more interesting non-town sites will get tackled then instead of now.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: December 01, 2018, 12:08:43 pm »

Yeah, tavern games really wanted here, too.
 Everybody would like to have it, but well...it means 3-6 months lost for something else more "useful" for the game.
But, as a "gaming value" this would be very good. I'm quite sure i feel like at least 75% of players here (Toady included!)

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: December 01, 2018, 12:58:03 pm »

Thanks for the Fof as always toady
I think I'm being completely honest when I say that I wouldn't have a problem waiting for 2020 if we actually got procgen tavern games. And I think I'm not the only one that'd love that
I'm okay with this, but only under the condition that these tavern games provide a moddable interface that would let us program whole games inside Dwarf Fortress.  :P

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1252 on: December 01, 2018, 01:27:24 pm »

Truth be told, some additions for various modding areas would actually be very welcome for the 2 year wait  :P
Definitely hyped for the villains update from the devlogs you've been posting along with the talk you did at the Roguelike celebration.

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: December 01, 2018, 01:27:51 pm »

Thanks for answers Toady! Wishing you a productive month.
Also i dont think that people wouldnt mind waiting a bit longer before the big wait to get the improved sieges into the game cause the idea of seing army on army battles is just too cool to wait for it to appear after the big wait. It will still be your decision to go for them or not, but if you still will be in a state of ambivalence then i suggest making a vote in forums

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: December 01, 2018, 02:03:23 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady!
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: December 01, 2018, 03:11:38 pm »

Truth be told, some additions for various modding areas would actually be very welcome for the 2 year wait  :P
Definitely hyped for the villains update from the devlogs you've been posting along with the talk you did at the Roguelike celebration.

Indeed, I'm still hoping the update will give me some good inspiration.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1256 on: December 01, 2018, 03:45:48 pm »

I am neutral towards developing this further or moving on to mythgen, I'm hyped for all the arcs, so cool stuff will always be worked on :)

I did however forget to say thank you for the answers. -_-

Thank you for the answers!
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: December 01, 2018, 07:20:57 pm »

Thx for the answers, although i was referring to the existing vampire cults  (I have been told those are a thing). It seems like you were talking about adding cults more generally.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to run a ransoming scheme out of an old minotaur maze ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: December 04, 2018, 02:52:36 am »

I don't have anything to add to PatrikLundell, really, even with the follow-up question.  We'd need a different example than a spherical world map, which isn't going to happen.  That old visualizer for the underground didn't help at all, so I'm not the one to be doing it, anyway.

Which visualizer are you referring to?

Edit: Thanks Knight Otu and DG.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:55:33 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: December 04, 2018, 06:01:36 am »

I don't have anything to add to PatrikLundell, really, even with the follow-up question.  We'd need a different example than a spherical world map, which isn't going to happen.  That old visualizer for the underground didn't help at all, so I'm not the one to be doing it, anyway.

Which visualizer are you referring to?
Probably the built-in visualizer from the 40d days. As I recall, it was rather bare-bones.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 389