Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2919514 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1260 on: December 04, 2018, 06:05:05 am »

The one that was part of the game many versions ago. ninja'd

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: December 04, 2018, 09:10:39 am »

Thank you for answers and in-text citations.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: December 05, 2018, 03:08:24 am »

1. How will we see NPCs reacting to player plots? Say that my character decides to make a tavern their base of operations, and uses their companions to run various schemes targeting the ruler of that same city. If I get caught somehow, will people be sent to look for and possibly kill me? Could I be minding my own business in said tavern when a squad of goons burst in looking to take me out?

2. Will Night Trolls be able to partake in villain plots?

3. Say that I decide to start assassinating high-ranking authorities of a certain religion. Will this somehow effect the game world and cause other groups to show up and fill the gap?

4. If the pre-Big Wait adventure mode medical improvements make it in, what might they look like? Could there be a hospital site where you can lay on a bed and expect treatment from nearby doctors, for example?

5. Will we be able to conquer abandoned sites any time soon? Maybe it results in some sort of bugginess but I thought it was odd that you couldn't occupy sites with nobody in them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 04:32:10 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: December 06, 2018, 01:01:59 pm »

Crap ToadyThreeToe, I hope everything goes well! I lost my father in law this year to cancer and we could barely cover his basic expenses, pain relievers mostly. Thankfully you are covered and as long you keep getting checked and detect it early everything should be fine.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:53:46 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1264 on: December 06, 2018, 01:33:41 pm »

(just in case there was confusion, please note the ThreeToe icon in the log.  we are optimistic!  still scary though.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: December 06, 2018, 01:52:37 pm »

Definitly some confusion. I think we rarely look at the icon anymore, because it usually doesn't matter who posted the news. Unlike its something like this off course. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery, ThreeToe!
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: December 06, 2018, 02:57:52 pm »

Confusion? What do you mean by that? '<< ...  >>' Move along, nothing to see there.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: December 06, 2018, 04:35:20 pm »

I hope that surgery will turn out well! Get well ThreeToe and keep us updated on your status!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: December 06, 2018, 08:55:03 pm »

My best wishes for a complete and fast recovery for Zach.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: December 07, 2018, 03:42:51 am »

Best wishes, Zach.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: December 07, 2018, 07:27:08 am »

Oh hey, my first FotF-thread post, because i've got a few questions about modding and items built up:

1. Modded instruments can have a custom description, will it be possible for all items in the future?

2. In regards to Mythgen and items: Completely random worlds probably will have some bizarrely named equipment. How will it be communicated to the player that "zbfkl"s or whatever random jumbles of letters are infact, swords? This also extends to other things: As far as i know there isn't any indication in-game that a piece of armor is shaped, for example.

3. As part of mythgen, will generated sentient creatures in high-randomness worlds wear( and will it be possible to mod) clothing and armor worn on bodyparts other than what's possible right now, where it makes sense? For example: Tail armor, Wing decorations, even actual clothing worn on the ears if the creature's ears are big enough?

4. Cursed equipment( of the unremovable variety) is a fantasy staple, will MagicGen produce stuff like this? if so, can we also expect mundane stuff that can't be easily unequipped due to whatever reason?

5. Who will villians target with their plots and schemes? Will their personality affect what they do? For example, may some villians attempt to do shady things for the benefit of their civ?
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: December 07, 2018, 10:04:44 pm »

1. Modded instruments can have a custom description, will it be possible for all items in the future
Are you sure this isn't the case already? The wiki seems not very clear on that.
The problem about "in the future" questions is that the answer will be "Probably yes.". Toady is pretty planned out, so I assume there won't be any reworks or modding expansions until after the magic update in 5 years.

Orangefriedegg

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Shookith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: December 07, 2018, 10:36:44 pm »

1. Will dogs ever be able to be used for herding or have any interactions involving herding?
Along with other things
2. like smelling for creatures/things &
3. possibly to assist in plant gathering
and hunting(in ways other than just attacking such as:
4.Retrieving the kill
5.finding prey without attacking)
or for activities like
6.scaring birds(filthy thieving Keas) away
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:38:20 pm by Orangefriedegg »
Yes.

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: December 08, 2018, 03:40:52 am »

"Incidentally, Ashi's only involvement with Bunnygears was unleashing a werezebra on it, the current price of having a temple to profane. We'll improve this at a later date, he he he."
Does that mean new curses/blessings? :O

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: December 08, 2018, 04:35:11 am »

Oh hey, my first FotF-thread post, because i've got a few questions about modding and items built up:

1. Modded instruments can have a custom description, will it be possible for all items in the future?

2. In regards to Mythgen and items: Completely random worlds probably will have some bizarrely named equipment. How will it be communicated to the player that "zbfkl"s or whatever random jumbles of letters are infact, swords? This also extends to other things: As far as i know there isn't any indication in-game that a piece of armor is shaped, for example.

Are you sure this isn't the case already? The wiki seems not very clear on that.
The problem about "in the future" questions is that the answer will be "Probably yes.". Toady is pretty planned out, so I assume there won't be any reworks or modding expansions until after the magic update in 5 years.

I can't remember the last reply's content to this, but any suggestions in the correct subforum are helpful to the matter as currently its a continous problem so a well founded issue when additional effects are tied onto bizarre or poorly explained items by name, like a wand for instance for your question example.

I would personally wish the current music naming system was rescinded to a d_infig toggle (and some other things but that's my opinion) as it hasn't had any significant improvement input to clarifying the issue and modded staticname instruments didn't make it nessecary in the first place (even if a lack of variety and having to spend more time defining on entity.txt per civ like any other piece of furniture or tool if you wanted to give dwarves big organ pipes, elves little dainty string instruments and goblins some big leather drums and bone horns)

1. Will dogs ever be able to be used for herding or have any interactions involving herding?
Along with other things
2. like smelling for creatures/things &
3. possibly to assist in plant gathering
and hunting(in ways other than just attacking such as:
4.Retrieving the kill
5.finding prey without attacking)
or for activities like
6.scaring birds(filthy thieving Keas) away

Whether dogs recieve AI improvements is up in the air as nothing is really dedicated or thought about it right now unless Toady decides to do something between relevant updates, though you can feel free to share these in a suggestion thread which would be the better relevant idea since he reads atleast the outlying opening post of every one to mark down in notes for when the time is right.

Dogs are already helpful creatures in fortress mode, and for the next release you could have a pet dog as a adventurer too from the loadout to help you on your quest. Swapping out tags from other creatures where appropriate can expand what they can do currently though, like vermin hunting.

"Incidentally, Ashi's only involvement with Bunnygears was unleashing a werezebra on it, the current price of having a temple to profane. We'll improve this at a later date, he he he."
Does that mean new curses/blessings? :O

I doubt Toady would want to spoil the suprise of such a thing if it were true.  ;)

Interesting new devlog, i have two questions.

I haven't seen a megabeast ruler for a while in first or thirdhand accounts of game experience, but with things considered for the villian arc and the nessecary plotting of a demon or possibly cyclops (with intelligence and power tokens accounted) will living  in world religious icons of a cult have any importance to this new system, such as cyclops in power* building temples to themselves to expand influence or (followers/leaders/icons) somehow founding a mutual or one sided relationship with other related beings in spheres

* (after plotting some intricate steps to the throne like extortion and kidnap to be thwarted by adventurers or just plain duffing up and routing a town before settling their own monsterous government for desperate people and worshippers to migrate to)

Question no #2, i can't help but notice the parallel's to a Kruggsmash video in which he went over his mutual suprise how owl people migrated from the wild and joined one of his in world AI civilizations, with other factors like diety representation and relevant held beliefs* joining a civ that valued it and had a owlman faced god. Will factors like this reflect the outcome of how animal people are dispersed more actively?

* (owls often being a subjective representation of knowledge, though there are some other cultural variations, like saying pigs or hogs are attached to greed and excess, jackals or vultures to death and decay if you wanted a animal-headed egyptian like pantheon.)

It seems a bit of a bandying into the Law & Property arc if you ask me, the same way we took a fancy to the hilllock arc early in a strange tangental way, though adding token spheres onto particular animal people/animals is painless to achieve for the relevant effect of generating dieties that look like a particular form like mentioned in the above citation.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:02:24 pm by FantasticDorf »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 391