Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851313 times)

Killermartian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1320 on: December 17, 2018, 02:52:15 am »

Quote from: Death Dragon link =169696.msg7900991#msg7900991
Looks like they can at least have a temple in a holy city of another religion, looking at the maps of Rainy Sect and Fenced Faith.
I wonder if sharing a city is gonna create conflict between different religions. I'm guessing that would have to wait for the status update after the magic update though.
Im definitely interested in seeing if this could create something resembling a crusade.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:55:03 am by Killermartian »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: December 17, 2018, 12:19:38 pm »

Im definitely interested in seeing if this could create something resembling a crusade.

And now I'm wondering how interaction between pantheons and regional forces will look like in that scenario.

Suppose that would be "Dii vult" in this case? :3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: December 17, 2018, 01:38:01 pm »

How accurately do you plan to make the map rewrite simulate geology? The 3 yards to one vertical block scale would make it unlikely for dwarves to get to magma, so I'm assuming not that accurately, but can we expect to see proper geological folds and igneous intrusions, with accompanying rock types, as well as the sorts of structures on the surface that one would expect to see due to erosion? How about glacial deposits? Would geological ages be included in the pre w.g. myth stage?

I just wanted to note that the current setup is less "doesn't simulate Earth geology well enough" than "fantasy setting doesn't run by the same physical laws".  The best available info is that the DF world is a more or less artificial construct of fairly recent age (certainly by geological standards); approximately designed to look similar to a natural planet on the surface by the god(s) or meta-godlike entities that created it.  The whole question of why / how the world appears to a thin shell of rock over a slade (scrith) foundation perilously suspended over (or floating on) an infinite pit of demons and hellfire is troubling at various levels if you think about it much. 

Among other things, there is no current in-game evidence of subduction, sea-floor spreading centers, or even such Victorian ideas as planetary cooling crustal shrinkage.  The topology is created in an initial state, gets a few volcanic hot-spots punched through, gets eroded a bit depending on settings and local rainfall, and that's what you end up with.  The DF world may well be a temporary stop-gap by the god(s), and as presented would fall victim to the erosional problems of classical steady-state

Regarding glacial deposits, some of the sedimentary layer arrangements found in the lowlands can be interpreted as such, although there is no specific mechanism for large-scale glaciation (or any other non-steady-state major changes). 

In any case, the upcoming Myth arc will radically change the way the worlds work; one of the examples from the talk was "fragments of the Cosmic Egg", and various other popular takes like "a disk supported on the back of seven giant olms" are likely to come up.  The "geology", if one can even call it such, of such fantasy worlds is likely to be even less Earth-like, and ideally strongly connected to the myths of the world's creation at all but the lowest-magic levels. 

That said, I'd love more interesting geology, realistic or otherwise.  Intrusions / dykes, 3D ore veins, and so on would be a real improvement that would be useful in a variety of world systems. 

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1323 on: December 17, 2018, 02:27:32 pm »

I guess what would make religions properly scary if they could carry and impress ethics on believers, as well as the high priests having the ability to change these ethics and the like. That would make a high priest villain super scary, but I also have the feeling this is all firmly in the scenarios arc. (Because by the same measure having villains in a civ government and having them change laws during play is scary too)

Alas, we'll proly just have to do with the high priests selling all those temple instruments to spoony traveling bards.

I have to admit I am also kinda looking for more geological features if only because some real life features are quite odd, like hot springs, geysers, oases, weird gas vents, buttes, funny finger mountains like in meteora, or even just things like mud flats and proper working river behaviour(Though, I guess the latter would need some more intensive map rewrite to handle liquids better and allow for 1/7th layers of mud and the like).

But I dunno, I just like wandering around in adventure mode, and am really looking forward to the weirdness coming in the myth arc, it just doesn't need to be magical specifically. :p
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: December 18, 2018, 02:47:02 pm »

1. Seeing as investigating villainous plots will be a new activity in the villain fleshing out update I am wondering how easy or hard it could potentially be to discover said plots. In the examples you have given the player finds out about the plot dealing with local troubles but will it also be possible to learn about plots by just walking around in town ease dropping on people? For example could you learn about a plot being conducted by the civilization's spy master by just hanging out around the castle in the center of town?
2. With religious structures getting more variety will we start seeing monasteries on the side of major roads outside of a civilization site?
3. On a similar note will smaller civilization sites like hamlets and hillocks now have the possibility of including small religious structures like shrines?
4. Currently one special purpose some religious structures can have is being a catacombs, with all the new kinds of religious structures will new kinds of religious structures with special purposes come into being possible? If so can you name a few.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: December 18, 2018, 03:26:54 pm »

1. Seeing as investigating villainous plots will be a new activity in the villain fleshing out update I am wondering how easy or hard it could potentially be to discover said plots. In the examples you have given the player finds out about the plot dealing with local troubles but will it also be possible to learn about plots by just walking around in town ease dropping on people? For example could you learn about a plot being conducted by the civilization's spy master by just hanging out around the castle in the center of town?

That was covered in the recent talk Toady did i think if initial plans for staged/convenient clues fell through (the same one wherin he discussed villians and how they broadly operate)
2. With religious structures getting more variety will we start seeing monasteries on the side of major roads outside of a civilization site?
3. On a similar note will smaller civilization sites like hamlets and hillocks now have the possibility of including small religious structures like shrines?
4. Currently one special purpose some religious structures can have is being a catacombs, with all the new kinds of religious structures will new kinds of religious structures with special purposes come into being possible? If so can you name a few.

Suggestion territory that isn't really that far linked into the current development work or development questions and may just warrant a 'I haven't thought about it' response but would be nice anyway. I think you could well say that Toady will improve the little off-beaten track sites in the future but actually manifesting the invisible ones without the pre-ordained 'lot spaces' in existing settlements like asked in a previous question would be a whole other seperate issue to address with the site rework/rewrites.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: December 18, 2018, 03:35:26 pm »

Didn't Toady outright say in a recent devlog that all civilized sites now have the potential to display religious art and shrines in certain areas?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: December 18, 2018, 04:38:58 pm »

Didn't Toady outright say in a recent devlog that all civilized sites now have the potential to display religious art and shrines in certain areas?
Yes. Latest devblog discusses monasteries, shrines and their statues and religious art in a city (commissioned by the very religious ruler of the town).

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: December 18, 2018, 04:52:02 pm »

Well, I tried, I'll wait till next month before asking more questions or until I have more material to work with.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1329 on: December 18, 2018, 08:21:31 pm »

Well, I tried, I'll wait till next month before asking more questions or until I have more material to work with.
Aw, don't be sad, FantasticDorf is primarily answering your questions because it helps cut down the amount of questions Toady has to answer at the end of the month, no more, no less.

I'm personally very curious how the game conceives of small shrines. Like, what will they look like? Will it happen that a shrine gets removed and replaced by something else than a temple, etc. But I guess all of that will have to wait until the release :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: December 20, 2018, 05:30:02 am »

I feel like im throwing out questions left right and centre this month, sorry in that i don't mean to drown you queries Toady.

Q: If we are moving past the bulk raiding/interactive civ screen arc, will you be keeping it synchronized and updated with other features you are working upon for villians onwards?

Figuring that right now we can't actually see rumored areas and sites like kobold caves unless they are revealed in other ways explicitly (answers varying from, using advanced world parameter to cheat viewing the cave, using a hearthsperson adventurer to explore on civ's behalf before embarking, or letting them steal a book to get a rough rumor co-ordinate even though this doesn't reveal the site after)

If its not a little bit too sly in saying, the function of a scout might be needed for the oversight if any villian in fortress mode you want to do anything to disrupt or break the agent network amongst your own dwarves can just hide in a lair or shrine and become untouchable while it spreads all over corrupting your population.

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: December 20, 2018, 10:54:54 am »

making questions limegreen

Hello!

Is any form of sincretism planned soon either in form of outright melding of religions (of the same god or otherwise) or in the form of inclusion of some elements of a religion in others?
I mean, the number of resurrecting sun-gods that have their birthday on the 25 of december in our world is surprising.
And in your example of insignificance from 12/13/18 Current Development feed:
"Take these two religions, the Romantic Faith and the Adorable Creed, founded within five years of each other a century ago in the same dwarven fortress by two different prophets of the birth god Zefon. Each has only a single priest, the aged dwarf prophets preaching their own version of Zefon, but they've had impact throughout the area"
Wouldn't the (chance of) melding the two prophets efforts have the potential of generating interesting emerging stories?

On the other hand:
Will there be any form of heresy included? Centrifugal forces inside religions, due to doctrinal or power sharing issues or both? If yes, will there be he chance of escalating and composing conflicts in it, getting to a reconciliation or to genocidal violence, or any point in between?

Thanks and Cheers everybody!
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1332 on: December 20, 2018, 01:16:39 pm »

Fantasticdorf, are you asking whether or not rumours your dwarves hear in the tavern will be added to the civ screen? I'm asking because I sometimes have a little trouble figuring out what you are writing in your posts and I don't quite understand what you're asking there. -_-

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: December 20, 2018, 01:49:24 pm »

Fantasticdorf, are you asking whether or not rumours your dwarves hear in the tavern will be added to the civ screen? I'm asking because I sometimes have a little trouble figuring out what you are writing in your posts and I don't quite understand what you're asking there. -_-

I was plainly stating that rumors and game information are seperate. You can know where a artifact is, but not see or reveal the site it is residing within without other non-related steps (touched upon in the hyperlink topic), to put it in a simplistic set of terms. Such as being able to see the location of a vault slab, but not 'Explore' the vault site seperately in a raiding squad.

I know news and rumors tracks rumors when you hear about them from visitors and arriving histfigs, and im not criticising that.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: December 20, 2018, 04:38:44 pm »

I was plainly stating that rumors and game information are seperate. You can know where a artifact is, but not see or reveal the site it is residing within without other non-related steps (touched upon in the hyperlink topic), to put it in a simplistic set of terms. Such as being able to see the location of a vault slab, but not 'Explore' the vault site seperately in a raiding squad.

I know news and rumors tracks rumors when you hear about them from visitors and arriving histfigs, and im not criticising that.
Yes, but what is your question?
Will this ever be fixed? Well, yeah, Toady acknowledged the issue that no artifacts are hidden on the day the artifacts release hit and everything will be fixed someday. Or is it, will you fix this before the Big Wait?
Really sorry, I dont mean to come off as snarky, but as the 2nd person to wonder what your question was, the chance of it being misinterpreted through a haze of New Year swamp whiskey come fotf time only increases.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 389