Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851319 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1395 on: January 08, 2019, 05:54:35 am »

There was a schedule of sorts. But it all went pear-shaped when Toady discovered that villains need religion. So now it's anyone's guess. Best to wait until tomorrow's devblog to estimate where we are. We're now in an unscheduled release break (not the Big Wait but...something else. Up to 12 months max from last July I suppose).

"A good few decades from completion of the game" is about as accurate a guess as any.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:57:47 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 08, 2019, 07:46:18 am »

Hang on... Are you saying there is some sort of rhyme and reason to when we can expect a devblog? I know the FOTF is montly, but i just went and checked for devlogs daily, hoping for an interresting read...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 08, 2019, 08:11:44 am »

I would also like to know this

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 08, 2019, 08:47:13 am »

Only a year for the Big Wait is an extremely optimistic guess. Personally I don't think it will be less than 3, as it's called "Big" for a reason, rather than "normal, on the short side". When it comes to the dev log postings, there's sort of a logic of roughly once per week, but it has been as short as 3 days and as long as almost a month in between posts, so it varies wildly. It largely depends on what Toady's doing, as an entry listing a number of dead end approaches that didn't work out isn't particularly interesting, if it's been such a week, and at the other end of the scale Toady'd rather continue on what he's doing than break off from it to write a log entry (which I can fully sympathize with).

As to Romi's question, the answer is, as mentioned, that we don't know (and Toady likely doesn't either, but at least he knows where he's aiming currently, but he usually won't tell, as his aim is rather typical for SW development, so it's better to say nothing and adjust than to disappoint people [some of which take a vague guess as a holy promise, and get rather upset when the guess was off]). I'd recommend starting a fortress now, as that will get you back into it (if you can handle the current stress system, that seems to be quite stressful for a number of players). Also, I'd expect the next release to be a bug fest, as there is going to be a whole pile of new things in it, which typically results in the rapid discovery of a number of serious bugs when the release gets into player hands (those will get fixed reasonably quickly, but that's another week or two [or more] until it's reasonably stable again).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 08, 2019, 09:02:19 am »

Hang on... Are you saying there is some sort of rhyme and reason to when we can expect a devblog? I know the FOTF is montly, but i just went and checked for devlogs daily, hoping for an interresting read...
It's essentially weekly. Has been for years. Travel and Christmas (and food poisoning) generally cause a break. End of the month is a fotf reply and Bay12 Report so they tend to be combined. It's not a definite thing but that's basically it.

Patrick. I said a year from last July for the current (Villains) update at most. Not the Big Wait. We're not in the Big Wait yet.
I mean, I hope it's shorter, but we seem to have stumbled into a whole unscheduled development Wait right now.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:09:39 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: January 08, 2019, 11:05:49 am »

for gaming the release date of "the Big Wait"

--> http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172494.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: January 08, 2019, 02:09:10 pm »

@Shonai_Dweller: My comment wasn't actually aimed at your post, but rather FantasticDorf's quote of an unspecified source. I agree it's rather likely Toady is aiming at entering the Big Wait well before a year has passed for the Villain semi-arc.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 08, 2019, 04:23:30 pm »

@Shonai_Dweller: My comment wasn't actually aimed at your post, but rather FantasticDorf's quote of an unspecified source. I agree it's rather likely Toady is aiming at entering the Big Wait well before a year has passed for the Villain semi-arc.
Oh, OK, I see
With post release clean up releases, stress and other things to deal with, I think it'll be close.

Well, it's all good really. Just reinforces that Toady is free to work on the game as he likes and isn't being held to some corporate schedule to rush out a half-finished product he's not happy with.

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: January 08, 2019, 07:09:29 pm »

I have been away for a long while. Is there any estimate on when the next update is coming (beside soon) and what it will entail?
I'm betting on March-April, depending on how much trouble Toady runs into post-worldgen.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: January 08, 2019, 10:38:31 pm »

Glad to see an update on Zach's surgery, Toady. Here's hoping for the best. :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 09, 2019, 12:15:11 am »

Well, gotta ask this one (just regarding the villains release):
Fortress Mode coups? Yea? Nay? Maybe?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 09, 2019, 09:08:26 am »

Shonai, as in a group of dwarves seizing power by occupying the noble positions? I think that seams fairly out of the question, seeing as nobles are basically appointed by the player right now. Maybe there could be done something with the monarch or the baron, but unless its a game-ender, i doubt it.

Unless of course your talking about gaining control of another site in Fort mode by arranging a coup, that seems plausible.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: January 09, 2019, 10:01:45 am »

Well, gotta ask this one (just regarding the villains release):
Fortress Mode coups? Yea? Nay? Maybe?
Shonai, as in a group of dwarves seizing power by occupying the noble positions? I think that seams fairly out of the question, seeing as nobles are basically appointed by the player right now. Maybe there could be done something with the monarch or the baron, but unless its a game-ender, i doubt it.

Unless of course your talking about gaining control of another site in Fort mode by arranging a coup, that seems plausible.

Im not sure, the trouble is only alluded to but taking other disruptive behaviours into consideration might (with no certainty) include lever pulling sabotage. I hope we can villianously plot a casus-belli to attack our own civ's sites under a alluded "good reason" as human civilisations do to consolidate power over the rest of the segmented civ sites or maybe kill the monarch in the hopes of passing the succession of a artifact/position to someone related in our fort and not being found out for doing it.

Saves me the effort of making a suggestion thread i guess.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1408 on: January 09, 2019, 12:14:56 pm »

Or maybe a coup could end up with the game informing you that a different group has taken over the fortress with the implications for military/nobles/etc. The player is the will of the fortress, not so much the will of its government, so you could just have a coup where the player stays in control but that maybe the majority of the coup's effects go to the dwarves themselves.

A pretty typical coup would be your evil councillor taking over the kingdom in the distance, though, I guess one of the trickiest things right now is to have the player care at all about a change of government, especially as the game just cannot handle loyalty cascades quite well.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: January 09, 2019, 01:56:13 pm »

Demon lords are included in the villain plans if I recall, right? If so:

Is it possible that with coups being a thing, demon rulers of human civs could become common enough that I might finally see one? For instance, it seems like now the possibility is open for a demon to actively plot a human law-giver's downfall rather than simply waiting until a vacancy opens up like they do now.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 389