Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850299 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1590 on: February 14, 2019, 06:45:01 am »

Holy crap @ update.

I wonder how much of this we'll see acted out. Like, I can see riots looking like insurrections(all histfigs run around like headless chickens), but feeding people to beasts and preaching... I guess preaching could use the performance framework, and we're proly going to see formal executions this cycle still if the prisoners stuff is fully worked out. Hopefully we can ask histfigs about entities like religions and get to hear from them whether there's religious tension or not.

Are villains able to use chaotic situations like riots and insurrections as a distraction while they act out their plans(stealing/assassinating/marching the army into town)?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: February 14, 2019, 10:39:44 am »

You did it again, Toady, I'm amazed by the last devlog.

What exactly caused the persecution of the Occult Coven by Stodir? Did he actually hate that religious group in some way or was it just greed plus some random chance?

Can other entity types also become persecuted in ways like this? Corporations, monastic orders, etc? Is it strictly for religious groups for now or could some greedy ruler confiscate the possesions of a corporation, for example?

Some other things I was wondering about these new non-civ entities:
Are entities like corporations, religions, mercenary companies always linked to a parent civilisation or are they separate? When a mercenary company purchases equipment, do they get it from their parent civilisation? So, would a dwarven merc company have access to steel equipment, while a human one does not?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: February 15, 2019, 03:05:49 am »

Will we be able to see and visit ruins of a destroyed temple ?
Will we be able to "ask" something like "what is this destroyed building" ? to people ?
Will we be able, as an adventurer, to witness riots ? And will we be able to take part on it without messing with loyalty system ? (attackings citizens based on religious differences without turning the whole city against us)

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: February 15, 2019, 08:43:23 am »

Will we be able to see and visit ruins of a destroyed temple ?
Will we be able to "ask" something like "what is this destroyed building" ? to people ?

These are already in the game, right? I play adventure mode only very rarely, but you can travel to ruins and talk to your companions about them, no?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1594 on: February 15, 2019, 09:13:15 am »

Yes. I was about to say the same thing.

I had it once that I was traveling in this town, and it was a super small town, but it had a tavern, a library, a keep, a market, an active temple and a ruined temple... and two houses. It was a little weird, but it does confirm you can visit ruined temples in adventure mode already.

EDIT: I am trying to remember, has anyone ever seen a military invasion/raid on a town in adventure mode? I've seen insurrections before, which I imagine riots would look like, as well as ambushes and traveling armies, but never invasions and raids.

(Was also thinking the same thing about megabeasts, but then remembered megabeasts don't do adventure mode movement yet.)

EDIT2: It seems invasions usually just place camps around the city attacked?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 09:23:58 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: February 15, 2019, 12:20:14 pm »

Will religious riots like this be on the table for fort mode play, say if i make a temple for a human bard troupes most favored deity?
Why dont bard troupes have a patron deity? Thats totally a thing irl, for example in greek traditional theatre it was all dedicated to that one god...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1596 on: February 15, 2019, 01:48:18 pm »

Maybe patron deities are a myth and magic thing? Because as far as I recall the Ancient Greek theatre was tied into the festival for Dionysus, and there's fairs in worldgen(but no festivals for gods in particular yet, only have seen harvest fairs and coronation celebrations) which have specific poetry and performance styles tied into it, which in this particular festival's case would be three performances of the 'greek tragedy' style of play and the 'satyrplay' style of play.

That said, patron saints and gods are definitely a thing, but perhaps something for the suggestion forum?

CorkNite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: February 17, 2019, 02:17:20 pm »

I have some questions about one-way portals:
1. What kinds of creatures might they bring into the world? Will they be relatively normal, or completely alien?
2. Will megabeasts come out of the portals?
3. Will the portals bring items into the world? And if so, what kind?
4. What realms are these portals connected to? Are they afterlifes, or different dimensions entirely?
5. Will the player be able to open them in Fortress mode?
6. How will these portals affect magic and creation myths?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:59:32 pm by CorkNite »
I hate my username.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: February 17, 2019, 04:12:35 pm »

1. What kinds of creatures might they bring into the world? Will they be relatively normal, or completely alien?
4. What realms are these portals connected to? Are they afterlifes, or different dimensions entirely?

1. A portal may connect point in the same world, different world, and different "dimensions/realms", so anything from completely mundane to completely bizarre is possible. What will be implemented in the first pass (where one dimensional ones are implemented) probably depends on what Toady comes up with at the time, i.e. he probably doesn't have anything fixed yet.
2. Quite possible, and it may also be a god/eldritch horror that's tricked mages into releasing it into the world...
3. Some kind of item and resource yielding portals have been discussed in the past, I think. What you may get depends on where the other end of the portal is (and what's implemented in the first pass)...
4. See 1.
5. Yes, eventually. Whether that will be implemented in the first pass or not remains to be seen, but it would probably be implemented early.
6. It would presumably be the other way around, i.e. the portal magic available and the external "planes" portal may connect to depends on what magic and "planes" myth gen comes up with.

Also note that one way portals aren't anything special in themselves, but rather a special case of portals that's easier to implement than the two way version (as that would require DF to handle two locations concurrently, which requires extra work. An early two way portal implementation might work similar to raiding does currently, though, i.e. squads are just sent through the portal to do their thing and then return with a report [or fail to return...]).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1599 on: February 17, 2019, 04:25:07 pm »

1. A portal may connect point in the same world, different world, and different "dimensions/realms", so anything from completely mundane to completely bizarre is possible. What will be implemented in the first pass (where one dimensional ones are implemented) probably depends on what Toady comes up with at the time, i.e. he probably doesn't have anything fixed yet.
2. Quite possible, and it may also be a god/eldritch horror that's tricked mages into releasing it into the world...
3. Some kind of item and resource yielding portals have been discussed in the past, I think. What you may get depends on where the other end of the portal is (and what's implemented in the first pass)...
4. See 1.
5. Yes, eventually. Whether that will be implemented in the first pass or not remains to be seen, but it would probably be implemented early.
6. It would presumably be the other way around, i.e. the portal magic available and the external "planes" portal may connect to depends on what magic and "planes" myth gen comes up with.

Also note that one way portals aren't anything special in themselves, but rather a special case of portals that's easier to implement than the two way version (as that would require DF to handle two locations concurrently, which requires extra work. An early two way portal implementation might work similar to raiding does currently, though, i.e. squads are just sent through the portal to do their thing and then return with a report [or fail to return...]).

In DF talk toady specifically said he really wants to have afterlives and portals to afterlives. And not necessarily even one afterlife per world, each civilized creature might have their own afterlife dimension.

And this is in addition to having other weird planes you can go to.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1600 on: February 17, 2019, 10:32:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1. Is it planned to reword or remove the "You are a killer" bit when you ask people about your reputation in adventure mode? Being a legendary hero, or legendary hunter, or murderer, already implies you killed something, so why do the NPC's need to tell you "you are a legendary hero you killed x, you are also a killer you killed x", i've been playing adventure mode for years, and i've noticed that people who are new to adventure mode tend to misunderstand what that means , they think the NPC is being accusatory or some such when they say "you are a killer" (since people tend to think that is synonymous with "You are a murderer" when in the game that is not the case) but to the game this literally just means "you are capable of killing things". Why not drop that part, or reword it to something less jarring/redundant? Is there a technical hurdle? Or do you think its fine? Or do you plan to change it?

2. Any plans to flesh out the reputation system (or add new types of reputations, or display NPC reputations (other then enemy) in legends mode.) in general in the next few updates, such as displaying player reputation info in the Quest log?

And a more fun question:
3. Given how many patrons/donators you have now, how do you handle the logistics of drawing all those crayon drawings and writing all those stories? Is this writing basically a full time job for Zach at this point? The story bits you guys send out are all very well made, so he must put alot of thought into each And writing what could easily be hundreds of stories at a time must be quite the challenge.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:46:13 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 18, 2019, 12:25:11 am »

And a more fun question:
3. Given how many patrons/donators you have now, how do you handle the logistics of drawing all those crayon drawings and writing all those stories? Is this writing basically a full time job for Zach at this point? The story bits you guys send out are all very well made, so he must put alot of thought into each And writing what could easily be hundreds of stories at a time must be quite the challenge.
Evidence from Twitter that Zach's not locked in a basement by himself with a box of crayons:
https://twitter.com/theothertuklus/status/980606473259532288?s=09

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: February 18, 2019, 03:54:50 pm »

2. Any plans to flesh out the reputation system (or add new types of reputations, or display NPC reputations (other then enemy) in legends mode.) in general in the next few updates, such as displaying player reputation info in the Quest log?

You can see your repution in your thoughts screen, right? True that it should probably be moved to some easier to find place.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: February 18, 2019, 04:15:34 pm »

1. If a player is of a religion that is currently being persecuted would that show in play with them being harassed by their persecutors?
2. Seeing as mercenary companies can be religious might some of them set goals such as killing non believers or driving them out?
3. Would defacing an opposing religions temples be a possible quest priests might give the player in this coming update?
4. If the player adopts a disguise that specifies another deity as their object of worship might they be able to fool the established religion so they can avoid persecution?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1604 on: February 18, 2019, 10:32:37 pm »

[DELETED BY MYSELF]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:34:11 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!