Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850339 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1605 on: February 18, 2019, 10:33:55 pm »

2. Any plans to flesh out the reputation system (or add new types of reputations, or display NPC reputations (other then enemy) in legends mode.) in general in the next few updates, such as displaying player reputation info in the Quest log?

You can see your repution in your thoughts screen, right? True that it should probably be moved to some easier to find place.

I don't believe you can see your reputation in the thoughts screen.

EDIT:
no you cannot.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:35:59 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: February 19, 2019, 01:33:02 pm »

Huh, I was sure I had seen my reputations there somewhere in adventure mode, but I guess maybe I'm misremembering.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: February 20, 2019, 11:07:03 am »

Will rock salt ever become an edible item?
Not here at the moment

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: February 20, 2019, 04:25:32 pm »

Sounds more like a suggestion than a question.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: February 20, 2019, 06:36:42 pm »

That could be modded in relatively easily, via including a reaction to convert the boulder into some quantity of some other item that's compatible with cooking, and in turn give rock salt the [EDIBLE_COOKED] token to facilitate it. Note that if the form it's converted to is solid, there's no real mechanism to stop you from cooking nothing but salt...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1610 on: February 21, 2019, 08:49:01 am »

Wonderful, now we can have Harry Potter style 'oh god I inherited a house from my evil family'-'what does this locket do?'-'I dunno, proly something evil, just throw it away' plot setups.

Actually, this should go really well with the extending of night creatures. I recall proper haunted houses being discussed during the talks.

(Also very amused at the worldgen bug in the first paragraph)

Are only towers capable of being restructured, or also houses? Like, will we see opulent villas as well as opulent towers?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:53:28 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

neutrino431

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: February 21, 2019, 10:28:13 am »

What are the plans for knowledge?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:32:42 am by neutrino431 »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: February 21, 2019, 10:29:32 am »

I know we won't be able to tap directly into accounts ourselves, but will we be able to set an official to embezzling for us and receive things like bags of gems or local coinage as a representation?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1613 on: February 21, 2019, 11:27:27 am »

I know we won't be able to tap directly into accounts ourselves, but will we be able to set an official to embezzling for us and receive things like bags of gems or local coinage as a representation?

I woudnt put it beyond toady to let players open accounts.

And as a side note:

1.Will player adventurers be able to buy houses/towers/upgrade them after like the world gen folks can as of the recent dev log?
2.Even if not  how will those places and their upgrades carry into play, will the villains tower actually have all the upgrades they bought, will you give them proper maps, will a tower that bought a wall/fortification/dungeon/other upgrade of some kind actually have them for players to deal with (the villain has a tower with a wall so you have to climb the wall to get in the tower, for example)?
3. If they have maps, how much variation will there be so each tower has its own feel?

Is this a preclude to all your ideas for adventurer thievery one of those goals as stated in the dev page:
"Mansions/villas out of the way as well" for them to steal from
And for the merchant role as stated in the dev page:
"Renting/buying cottages and other properties"

Because if so thats amazing. Take all the time you need because whats coming is exciting.

Would be pretty neat to buy my own villa or tower...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:47:47 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1614 on: February 21, 2019, 02:13:21 pm »

Why dont demons go on a rampage throughout the world once you release them or at least do more then just hang around your site? And why do mummies disappear when you leave the site, wouldnt it be much more simulations/interesting if they actually stuck around? It just seems odd given the other features in the game which are far more simulationist and kinda clashes with the reality of the situation.
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: February 21, 2019, 04:51:28 pm »

Why dont demons go on a rampage throughout the world once you release them or at least do more then just hang around your site? And why do mummies disappear when you leave the site, wouldnt it be much more simulations/interesting if they actually stuck around? It just seems odd given the other features in the game which are far more simulationist and kinda clashes with the reality of the situation.
If something is missing it means it hasn't been made yet. Especially in Adventurer which is far less developed than Fortress mode so far.

Bad_Goblin

• Bay Watcher
  • Ergh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: February 21, 2019, 04:57:14 pm »

For the Myth and Myth Release will magic also be found in the form of runes? In many different fantasy settings dwarfs have a great affinity for "rune magic", will we ever see this in Dwarf Fortress as well?

If so, would this form of magic somehow be implemented into the engraving and magic skills? (In the sense that creating a rune would require knowledge in the engraving skill in order to carve the rune into an object, as well as the proper experience in magic to imbue power into the rune.) Or would "Rune Crafting"  have it's own skill(s) entirely to differentiate itself?

Lastly, What uses could rune magic have?
(For example: Could magic runes carved onto a weapon/piece of armor give said item special properties such as a rune engraved weapon now causing fire damage or have it deal harder hits in general? Could a rune engraved on a Helmet grant it a better chance at shrugging off blows? As another example, could engraving a rune on an object like a door make it so that it can only be opened by one with sufficient magical knowledge/skill? Or could magical runes be used as a form of "trap" engraved on a tile that could cause a lethal property to activate, for instance say, engulf the tile in flames if a specific creature (ex: a goblin or filthy elf) stepped on it?)

I might be going out on a limb or a tangent here that could quite possibly belong in the suggestions thread, but if something like this was ever implemented it could add a whole new depth for dwarfs interacting with objects as well as their environment.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:06:04 pm by Bad_Goblin »

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: February 21, 2019, 05:32:38 pm »

1)Will bandit groups (player or otherwise) be able to raid a shipment of embezzled goods from one site to another if they find out about the embezzlement, instead of either turning the villain in or blackmailing the person involved?

2)Can a group of bandits lie (since lying about identities is in) and say they're from a mercenary group in order to cause strife between two groups? 

3)How likely is it embezzled goods will be encounterable in sites where it's being delivered in play? 

4) Will players be able to show up to somebody's house with a horse strapped full of treasure like the Count of Monte Cristo and try to trade for their house before the big wait? If so will house owners take into account artifacts they don't know about in the cost? Will they take their furniture with them if you don't pay enough for it furnished or would that be too goofy?

5)Will villains stash their non-artifact abstract accounts in their houses in secret if their family doesn't know about how they got them?

6)Will villains that value family be more likely to tell someone they stole a cool artifact in their will? Will they be more likely to tell their family they have money or items without revealing its source if they don't trust them to bring them in on villainy?

7)Will more ostentatious villains dress their family and lackeys up fancier the way mercenary groups can equip others?

8)Will haunted furniture night creatures make it in before the big wait?

9) Will people on the street be talking about how "so and so really hit it off at the slots" even if we don't get gambling in play? Will people otherwise comment on unexpected windfalls, expansions being built on large buildings in town, or other signs of the ups and downs of local historical figure's fortunes?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: February 21, 2019, 06:04:32 pm »

For the Myth and Myth Release will magic also be found in the form of runes? In many different fantasy settings dwarfs have a great affinity for "rune magic", will we ever see this in Dwarf Fortress as well?

If so, would this form of magic somehow be implemented into the engraving and magic skills? (In the sense that creating a rune would require knowledge in the engraving skill in order to carve the rune into an object, as well as the proper experience in magic to imbue power into the rune.) Or would "Rune Crafting"  have it's own skill(s) entirely to differentiate itself?

Lastly, What uses could rune magic have?
(For example: Could magic runes carved onto a weapon/piece of armor give said item special properties such as a rune engraved weapon now causing fire damage or have it deal harder hits in general? Could a rune engraved on a Helmet grant it a better chance at shrugging off blows? As another example, could engraving a rune on an object like a door make it so that it can only be opened by one with sufficient magical knowledge/skill? Or could magical runes be used as a form of "trap" engraved on a tile that could cause a lethal property to activate, for instance say, engulf the tile in flames if a specific creature (ex: a goblin or filthy elf) stepped on it?)

I might be going out on a limb or a tangent here that could quite possibly belong in the suggestions thread, but if something like this was ever implemented it could add a whole new depth for dwarfs interacting with objects as well as their environment.
Rune magic has been asked about and mostly confirmed in this thread before. I think if you do a search for runes you should find a previous answer from not so long ago.

--edit
Oh, like this one to start with. There's others too I think.
4. Traditionally, wizard magic is a big no no for dwarves. Do you think we'll be able to make dwarf wizards anyway on our forts, if we want to?

Toady's reply:

4. It depends on what you mean and the settings for that world.  "Geomancers" and "Rune <X>ers" are common dwarf 'wizard' types that aren't closely linked to the more-often-used priest powers.  Then there's the more traditional links to magical item production, which is a sort of magic.  The more vanilla settings will lean this way, toward 'dwarfy' magics, I suspect.  Others will allow more arbitrary research and spell opportunities.  Even in the vanilla settings, doing things like exploring runes and the powers of the earth would be on the table as research-style possibilities.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:08:24 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1619 on: February 21, 2019, 06:15:33 pm »

1)
8)Will haunted furniture night creatures make it in before the big wait?

Haunted houses with haunted furniture have been planned since he first added night creatures, so at some point they will make it in, but i doubt he will get sidetracked and suddenly do another push on night creatures right before starting on the magic update so its unlikely. (It would be cool though, now that villas and such are  a thing)
(He talks about it on the night creature df talk)
http://www.bay12games.com/media/Dwarf_Fortress_Talk_14.mp3
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 389