Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850936 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1635 on: February 22, 2019, 06:35:23 pm »

1. Can you list all the new types of buildings we will be seeing in large human sites in this next release?
2. Will special owned buildings be exclusive to massive sites like cities or can smaller sites like towns have them as well? I ask this because it takes a lot longer for cities to form than towns during world gen.
3. If our player adventurers can join mercenary organizations and said organization owns a building will our adventurer gain permission to sleep in that building?
4. Will buildings owned by organizations contain items related to the type of organization that owns the building? For example would a building owned by a mercenary order contain spare weapons and armor?

1. Trade outposts, guild halls, town-towers, shrines. Temples, libraries, markets and taverns already existed. So did keeps. Monasteries/Merchant forts/Bandit forts/Castles are new sites which can contain these things. There might be more coming depending on what will get done with prisoners.
2. There's only towns and hamlets, terminologically speaking. :p I suspect the owned buildings and shrines might pop up in hamlets, and the rest in towns. I suspect this because towns are created by worldgen as a nexus for several hamlets to trade with, so there's a lot of money there. On the other hand, some of these new buildings are controlled by entities other than the site government... hm...
3. I'd think so, that's how it works for heartspeople, no?
4. I think this would happen too, sites are already pretty good about tracking the kind of resources they ought to have, such as towns having the proper products(ever visited a market?), and necromancer towers being filled with books.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 22, 2019, 06:40:48 pm »

I personally hope we get slightly more detailed and realistic dungeons out of this cycle at some point, to go with the dip into law enforcement. In fact I think that's been alluded to by Toady before, if I'm not misremembering.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1637 on: February 22, 2019, 06:59:00 pm »

I hope then mostly detailed than realistic. Most real life oubliettes I've visited were simple drafty rooms with chains that may or may not be under water during winter. :D
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: February 22, 2019, 07:11:00 pm »

Which is more-or-less what a lot of player dungeons in fortress mode already amount to. You're right, let's go with the "detailed" part. :P A fantasy game like DF ideally prioritizes what would make a better story over what would be realistic anyway.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:28:52 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 22, 2019, 08:18:41 pm »

What sort of details do you have in mind for dungeons?  Bone piles and torturous instruments?  The only elaborations I imagine are like those from the Act I Jail dungeons under the Rogue Monastery in Diablo II.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1640 on: February 22, 2019, 08:35:08 pm »

What sort of details do you have in mind for dungeons?  Bone piles and torturous instruments?  The only elaborations I imagine are like those from the Act I Jail dungeons under the Rogue Monastery in Diablo II.

Remember to make your questions lime green, i fixed it for you ^^
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 23, 2019, 12:40:47 pm »

What sort of details do you have in mind for dungeons?  Bone piles and torturous instruments?
You mean like bagpipes? :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 24, 2019, 08:01:50 am »

Who do people actually give their money to when they buy real estate that didn't belong to anyone in a city? Does it go to the site government's coffers?

A while ago in this devlog (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html#2018-12-07), you talked about how the infrastructure of a site can affect and change the population. Do you have an ability like this planned for libraries in the short term, too? For example, them being able to change the moral values of the site population based on what kind of books are stored in it?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1643 on: February 24, 2019, 10:50:02 am »

I am wondering if that may not already be in? Given that value changing books are really really rare in worldgen. All the libraries I've been to at the least were filled with academic books, never found a poem, history or value arguing book.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1644 on: February 24, 2019, 12:15:04 pm »

I am wondering if that may not already be in? Given that value changing books are really really rare in worldgen. All the libraries I've been to at the least were filled with academic books, never found a poem, history or value arguing book.

Ive seen plenty of value changing books
I am an indie game dev!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 24, 2019, 06:34:35 pm »

I think it probably depends more on the creature than on the book, and how easily their personality allows them to be influenced by new ideas.

Or at least that's what would make sense to me, honestly have relatively little idea how this stuff works. :P

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1646 on: February 24, 2019, 08:43:47 pm »

So where did your inspiration for necromancers becoming obsessed with mortality before becoming necromancers, and the fact that they get it off a slab come from? "Now you will know why you fear the night" is a direct quote from conan the barbarian , so i'm sure this has a place it comes from as well.
I am an indie game dev!

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: February 25, 2019, 06:36:33 pm »

I know that books can change an individual's values, but I doubt there's currently any site population scale influencing going on. It would be really great though. I really love the idea of potentially influencing a foreign civ by exporting a bunch of propaganda books to them. Like sending "it concerns the worthlessness of nature" books to the elves or "all leaders must be toppled" kind of stuff. That's why I'm wondering if libraries are going to get that ability to influence the population like the religious buildings are able to.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: February 25, 2019, 08:43:00 pm »

I know that books can change an individual's values, but I doubt there's currently any site population scale influencing going on. It would be really great though. I really love the idea of potentially influencing a foreign civ by exporting a bunch of propaganda books to them. Like sending "it concerns the worthlessness of nature" books to the elves or "all leaders must be toppled" kind of stuff. That's why I'm wondering if libraries are going to get that ability to influence the population like the religious buildings are able to.
Well...how realistic is that though?
The religious buildings are representative of priests, monks and other assorted preachers spreading the good word ("Praise suicide!"). Do librarians do the same thing on a massive scale? Revolutionaries, maybe, who would direct people to libraries, but we don't have them yet (besides diligent adventurers) and probably won't until the society/politics update.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: February 26, 2019, 07:32:42 am »

Well...how realistic is that though?
The religious buildings are representative of priests, monks and other assorted preachers spreading the good word ("Praise suicide!"). Do librarians do the same thing on a massive scale? Revolutionaries, maybe, who would direct people to libraries, but we don't have them yet (besides diligent adventurers) and probably won't until the society/politics update.

We have insurrections at the moment and they are pretty violent.  In answer to your questions, realistically the librarians do the same thing as the clergy, but they aren't as aware of it.  Accidental advocacy should be a thing for authors, actually that is an idea for a thread.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 389