Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850851 times)

FrankVill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1770 on: March 19, 2019, 05:26:30 pm »

1- What is the projection of the future regarding procedural art forms? Do you plan to add more details or improve what already exists?
It is not that I find it insufficient, I am really amazed with the current result.

2- Assuming that the first question you answered that there will be improvements / new features ... in what arcs would you develop them? And what would be its relevance in the development of the game beyond creating unique cultures with their own personality (more than enough, in fact)?

3- Will it include art forms for painting or sculpture as well? I guess the important thing is what is shown, but it would also be interesting to know if the style of the painting is Renaissance or impressionist, although that is already a suggestion.

4- If I were a composer who used the rules of a procedural musical form, would I be free to create several themes respecting the rules or is it quite restrictive?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: March 19, 2019, 09:21:11 pm »

when you get to embarks/scenarios and such and forts having a purpose, will that tie in with current villian/hero/historical figure motivations and schemes? i.e. could a powerful noble establish a military fort with the express purpose of increasing his power?  or a temple to increase his prestige or something?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: March 20, 2019, 03:37:34 am »

:
4- If I were a composer who used the rules of a procedural musical form, would I be free to create several themes respecting the rules or is it quite restrictive?

The data structure for music is that a piece generally refers to the musical form (but sometimes the form is used directly), so it should be possible for several pieces to be based on the same form (if I've understood what you mean with "themes" correctly). If, instead, the question is about copyright for real world attempts at creating DF based music I can't answer, but it would be useful to clarify the question if that's the case.

when you get to embarks/scenarios and such and forts having a purpose, will that tie in with current villian/hero/historical figure motivations and schemes? i.e. could a powerful noble establish a military fort with the express purpose of increasing his power?  or a temple to increase his prestige or something?

Quite likely eventually and in general terms. Embark scenarios will presumably explore as diverse set of starts as possible, but obviously won't be able to cover every possible variant. It's probably way too early to predict what's going to appear or not. I'm sure Toady has some kind of candidate list, but candidates will probably be tossed out if they cause too much trouble, and new ones can appear on a whim or as a result of emerging possibilities and suggestions. I doubt Toady would be willing to show any candidate list beyond what's on the dev page at this stage, though. People have an unfortunate tendency to read "promise" into the word "candidate" and get upset when "their" candidate didn't make it (but he's made a candidate list experiment with villainy, so maybe).

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 20, 2019, 06:16:15 am »

Hearing a specific music corresponding to procedural music form when the dwarves begin their party is like seeing procedural ASCII art when you look at an engraving description.

It's something i have LONG dreamt  of, but...well i'm unsure of it's feasible. I think it's a bit more doable now it can be outsourced.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1774 on: March 20, 2019, 10:50:38 am »

Someone did something like that and posted it to reddit. Their conclusion was 'is possible for music, will sound a bit weird to a lot of people without a composer sanding off the rough edges'.

For 2d art, the main problem is that there's no internal representation of what many objects should look like beyond their ascii representation. So even quite simple things, like the entity symbols, they can have a single tile representation, but without a bigger representation it's quite hard to depict a 'dwarf curled in a fetal position'.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: March 20, 2019, 11:04:38 am »

Well, when you see what (for instance) ultimaratioregum can do or in procedural general something like heredragonsabound or even Dwarf fortress about stories, i think it's possible to create innovative pixel art to depict things from a short description. Of course, it's a big project, but i don't think it's impossible.

XXX_ANUBIS_XXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 22, 2019, 02:02:05 pm »

Hey Tarn, any plans for implementing a justice/security system to go with Villains?
ATM, I can walk out with a towns entire warehouse and not be bothered by even a single concerned citizen. I'd imagine that under realistic circumstances, there would be a few guards on the warehouse, mayhaps with the ability to encourage them to turn a blind eye?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 22, 2019, 02:28:55 pm »

Hey Tarn, any plans for implementing a justice/security system to go with Villains?
ATM, I can walk out with a towns entire warehouse and not be bothered by even a single concerned citizen. I'd imagine that under realistic circumstances, there would be a few guards on the warehouse, mayhaps with the ability to encourage them to turn a blind eye?

You'll want to make your questions lime green so they're easier to pick out at the end of the month ^^

Also, the arc planned for after myth and magic one is planned to involve crime and punishment as well as property ownership stuff (and start scenarios), so most justice stuff will probably wait til then.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 23, 2019, 02:57:13 pm »

If you don't mind me asking; the circumstances of the Steam launch are troubling.  Do you ever go jogging, bike riding, etc.?

Healthcare is helpful when someone hits you with a truck while out jogging/cycling too. So, regardless of the answer he'd probably choose to go Steam anyhow.

It was because of a cancer scare, jogging wont save you from cancer.
One can get cancer no matter how healthy they are.
[...]
Insensitive question. I guess maybe you didnt know it was about cancer.

These responses seem bizarre to me, it seems like a knee-jerk reaction to defend Tarn and his decision from criticism when there was none. The question reads to me as Immortal-D simply saying "I'm concerned about your health, are you taking care of yourself and getting proper exercise?"  There is no implication that healthcare isn't important- everyone needs proper healthcare, and it becomes more important as you get older; everyone needs to eat healthy and to exercise (even with good healthcare), and it becomes more important as you get older. 

I survived cancer in my late 20s when I was in good health, but that doesn't mean that being in poor health would have made no difference. Preventative care like being active, eating well, avoiding risky behaviors like smoking, drinking, and a sedentary lifestyle are all extremely important for your long-term health and healthcare can't do that for you.

I hope the Adams are taking diet and exercise seriously because I wish them long healthy lives.
_______

I did have a question too, Tarn, I was wondering what your personal opinion is on some of the debates/ideas happening in the  Steam suggestions and tileset threads?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 23, 2019, 03:12:17 pm »

PTW
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 24, 2019, 03:08:02 am »

Tarn, I was wondering what your personal opinion is on some of the debates/ideas happening in the  Steam suggestions and tileset threads?
You're probably going to have to be more specific unless you're just bringing the thread to his attention.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 24, 2019, 11:06:21 am »

In the current version, patrolling guards already exist (at town keeps, goblin pits, etc.), and when a suspicious guard demands the player's identity, we can create secret identities to avoid conflict. The basic mechanics for a justice/security system are currently there and used in adv mode, they just aren't used for warehouses. Suggestions should go to the suggestion forum.

One of the bullets on the development page for Villains is "Better alerts and identity checks", under Hideouts and strongholds. Warehouses will be built by the new merchant/trading company entities (though I'm not sure if these merchant company warehouses are an updated or replaced version of current town warehouses, or a different structure function-wise). It's possible that extra map features will be added onto the structures because their significance got elevated (such as a form of security), but this wasn't implied.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:03:52 am by Doorkeeper »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 24, 2019, 04:23:48 pm »

Like this, for future reference:

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: March 28, 2019, 05:53:21 pm »

1. How much do you think Dwarf Fortress will cost on steam?
2. With the switch from ascii to graphics will there be any graphics for what a creature is wearing? I ask this because it breaks my immersion a little to see a creature visually wearing one thing then when I check on them with the look command I find out they are wearing something else.
3. Will steam mods for Dwarf Fortress need to have graphics?
4. Will there be any indicator on the steam workshop for if mods are incompatible with each other or will we just need to test it out by running the game and seeing if it crashes?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 28, 2019, 06:04:07 pm »

1. How much do you think Dwarf Fortress will cost on steam?
2. With the switch from ascii to graphics will there be any graphics for what a creature is wearing? I ask this because it breaks my immersion a little to see a creature visually wearing one thing then when I check on them with the look command I find out they are wearing something else.
3. Will steam mods for Dwarf Fortress need to have graphics?
4. Will there be any indicator on the steam workshop for if mods are incompatible with each other or will we just need to test it out by running the game and seeing if it crashes?

1. 19.99$
2. To some extent yes, the details are not yet set though (seems we'll at the very least have accurate sprites for armor and weapons). Meph and Mayday (the guys making the tileset) have a thread up in the modding section with more details/discussion/feedback on it if you're interested.
3. There'll be an option to use either tileset graphics or ascii for the steam version, so nope.

No idea on the fourth one.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 389