Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851354 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2010 on: May 08, 2019, 05:42:55 am »

Mods are pretty plug-and-play as it is, yeah? Worlds even save their own copies of the raws so you can relentlessly change stuff and make new worlds with it without obliterating old saves in the process.

if two mods add reactions to dwarves then they are fundamentally incompatible with each other without manually finding the changes they make and merging them

This exactly is why a steam port might need to have a compiler to remotely check the fluidity and block faulty attempts or easy access to the raws to fix such a thing which should refer the player back to the forums, wiki or steam guide pages to seek advice.

I guess actual gameplay guides such as 'building your first windmill farm', getting to grips with minecarts etc might serve to be more popular.

game already has a compiler for the raws by any reasonable definition of compiler, it just doesn't support patching/overwriting/whatever of existing raw objects, instead just spitting out a "duplicate raw" error and going crazy

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 09, 2019, 01:41:10 am »

" There are bugs to wrangle - sometimes they take off and join performance troupes.". Dwarf Fortress bugs are always the best.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 09, 2019, 02:16:33 am »

" There are bugs to wrangle - sometimes they take off and join performance troupes.". Dwarf Fortress bugs are always the best.
I think Toady meant the the sapient zombies join troupes, although those are certainly buggy enough for bugs to have joined them :P

Regarding the latest dev log: It's an interesting "preview" of sphere influence logic to allow necro towers to change the evilness of their surroundings. Are you planning any counters to this (e.g. razing or conquering a necro tower causing the evilness to dissipate and the world tiles to gradually return to their base state) to avoid a gradual decay of the world into complete evilness as necro towers are created and stomped out?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 09, 2019, 04:07:51 am »

I assume not, but just in case, will we be able to experience the creeping evil biome in fortress mode if we embark on the edge of the evil and leave the tower alone for years?

Opening the map and discovering you're now the one good square in a sea of evilness is kind of fun too, I guess...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2014 on: May 09, 2019, 05:05:18 am »

Regarding the newest devlog's mention of regions slowly becoming evil due to necromancer influence, will that be a hardcoded thing linked to towers or will that be more linked towards the caster type itself, so that modders could make the region become good over time instead?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2015 on: May 09, 2019, 05:16:08 am »

Intelligent zombie lieutenants (with historical backgrounds!) are an exciting addition. Are they an automatic consequence of any corpse-raising interaction, or are they being restricted to the vanilla necromancers until the big magic rework? If they aren't restricted, is there a way to control the kind of names they are assigned depending on the interaction?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 09, 2019, 05:18:31 am »

Regarding the newest devlog's mention of regions slowly becoming evil due to necromancer influence, will that be a hardcoded thing linked to towers or will that be more linked towards the caster type itself, so that modders could make the region become good over time instead?
Ooh, I can just imagine the weird worlds I could get if my elven forest retreats were generating goodness while the dark elf sites are generating evilness and some tribe of monkeypeople are generating savagery all at the same time.

No room for poor old dorfs, but never mind about them.  ;)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2017 on: May 09, 2019, 05:58:11 am »

Aw, poor zombie lieutenants, cursed to never be able to join a performance troupe. All their dreams of stardom, *poof*.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 09, 2019, 07:08:38 am »

The intelligent dead have been a goalpost for a while, exciting stuff and it feels nice to have a non-steam related question.

Since the abilities of a necromancer become the abilities of the player generally when they become a necromancer themselves, will we be able to raise our companions and important NPC's as intelligent zombies if they die?

A comparison i guess can be drawn from is the 'RPG Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic' where a specific skill branch of magic could allow you to speak to dead characters (killed by yourself or others) with lots of custom NPC lines arranged for that occasion. I wonder if revived zombies will be more talkative with you in death than they were life about sensitive subjects.
  • On a whole other note, hamlets took over by the player inhabited entirely with the undead are probably a end result, spooky hamlets in range of towers i hope get a inclusion (which is also a talked about devlog/devchat thing)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: May 09, 2019, 07:23:04 am »

@Shonai_Dweller: It wouldn't be hard to write a DFHack script that produced Savagery and/or Evilness spreading (towards either end, as well as any other point on the scales [a bit like value influencing books, but with a yearly {or monthly/weekly...} effect]).
I believe the current version of the game has a version of this logic already, civs taming Savage world tiles during world gen history (I don't know if it's active in game play).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:09 am »

@Shonai_Dweller: It wouldn't be hard to write a DFHack script that produced Savagery and/or Evilness spreading (towards either end, as well as any other point on the scales [a bit like value influencing books, but with a yearly {or monthly/weekly...} effect]).
I believe the current version of the game has a version of this logic already, civs taming Savage world tiles during world gen history (I don't know if it's active in game play).
Yeah, I'll move on to DFhack scripts when I need to. This is probably something that would push me over to learning about DFhack. It fits my world's behaviour well.

I guess elves spreading savagery would also make a lot of sense. More giant animals to kick demon's heads in.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 07:56:53 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 09, 2019, 08:49:18 am »

1. Will creatures with a very high intrigue/divination abilities be biased towards responding to threats from the player's party more rapidly compared to AI entities, at least to a small degree, for plot purposes?

2. Will characters with a vendetta against a villain be able to offer to join your party if they find out you're directly fighting said villain?

3. Will villains be able to send agents to try and infiltrate the player's party itself, for example by pretending to be a bereaved party seeking revenge (like in 2.)

4. Similar to 3, will villains be able to try and sow discord within an entity by pitting important members against each other through false evidence and slander, up to and including the player's party?

5. Will agents of villains be able to stalk the party, interrogate people that the party has talked to for info, etc.

6. Will 'disposable pawns' be a thing for sufficiently ruthless villains? e.g. tying up loose ends by killing low-level members that have fulfilled their purpose if they know too much, setting up low-level members to take the fall for a crime, etc.

7. Will the villains do petty, not-entirely-rational villainous actions if they're particularly vicious, arbitrary and it aligns with their personality in general? By this, I mean things like:
a) Killing subordinates for minor or imagined slights, perceived failure in their duties, or if they're unhinged enough, just for the heck of it
b) Dolling out disproportionate retribution to entities that have cooperated with their enemies, like butchering and burning down an entire village just because some peasant in it let the heroic adventurers stay overnight
c) Making a spectacle out of eliminating their enemies, e.g. publicly parading and then executing them, intentionally assassinating them in a brutal fashion in public, killing them in front of friends and loved ones (if said friends and loved ones are also prisoners, but also possibly keeping hostages around just to do this later if the villain expects a direct confrontation in the near future)
d) Destroying artifacts of sentimental value to their foes, if said artifact isn't too useful to them, or even destroying highly useful artifacts out of spite if they feel that their loss is imminent

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2022 on: May 09, 2019, 09:17:09 am »

I wonder if revived zombies will be more talkative with you in death than they were life about sensitive subjects.

Hopefully the dead you raise have some increased trust/respect/loyalty for you, in which case that should act towards making them more talkative.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 09, 2019, 01:25:42 pm »

Are our adventurers able to be raised as intelligent undead, or is it world-gen figures only?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 09, 2019, 02:39:12 pm »

1. Will we have the new intelligent undead in the old saves, so existing necromancers can get rolling with this in their villainy?

2. Will we have the same zombie caps as adventure-mode necromancers?

3. Will we be able to get stone to build proper necromancer towers and expand our zombie caps?

4. Will we be able to integrate zombies into our dwarf forts and set a "zombie policy" for resident necromancers to follow?

5. Will we be able to push back the evil regions spreading out from towers?

6. Will the evil regions spread from towers also have evil weather and blanket re-animation effects, or will it just be a normal region with zombies?

Personally, one advantage of the old system (DF2010) was that there wasn't an un-counterable blanket re-animation effect from the biome, and there wasn't say, evil rain that made a mess of the map. The zombies and skeletons coming in from the side was just great. The gloom clouds are another matter - I really liked that addition.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:42:14 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 389