Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850180 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2070 on: May 16, 2019, 04:29:23 am »

It ought to be possible to get goblin civ instruments from goblin civ performers. Such performers are currently common spies embedded in performance troupes (it's probably a bug that every member of a civ reports back when leaving, but as it stands, these members are effectively spies without hiding their identity beyond being performance troupe members). You can get their instruments by executing the embedded spies, steal their instruments, or by accepting performance troupe petitions (not recommended currently, as offsite performance troupe members visiting the fortress later arrive as bugged "friendly" units).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 16, 2019, 05:09:04 am »

And as the world bands together, putting aside old prejudices, the poor old kobolds are left to face the zombie apocalypse alone. Just because no-one understands what they're babbling about. How cruel.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 16, 2019, 12:53:35 pm »

And as the world bands together, putting aside old prejudices, the poor old kobolds are left to face the zombie apocalypse alone. Just because no-one understands what they're babbling about. How cruel.

Hey, at least there'll be a surplus of corpses they can loot for shinies. Not entirely a raw deal, if you ask me. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #2073 on: May 16, 2019, 03:50:22 pm »

You mentioned villains having a chance to follow through or not on their power-sharing promises to their minions - will the minions  be able to act on thwarted aspirations? 

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 01:16:52 pm by WordsandChaos »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 18, 2019, 04:41:40 pm »

little bit of a callback question to the prophets and religious work of this arc, while i was explaining this to someone else asking about diverse migrants to help them with their suggestion thread It struck me that the current fortress prayer method of using (no-specific-denomination) might end up mass attracting potential migrants already visiting in other areas of your civ if foriegn long term residents are allowed to pray, possibly leading to annoying build up like the adventurer spam a few versions ago.

Its a common thing that cross species migration can happen if enough citizens simply enter the civ to stay (rarely if never normally except in following point), like for example hundreds of 'slaves' made fast citizens after goblins go on a civ conquering rampage and displace them all virtually. Funnily enough quite like your elf vs zombie mountain halls fight in the recent devlog, just a snowball effect, the dead making more undead and goblin raids making more goblin(ish) raiders.

Are varied migrants called by faith actively disabled/enabled in fortress mode; and would these general faith sites vs specific ones break anything later in background w.g hazarding a guess?

bieux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: May 21, 2019, 03:00:41 pm »

Totally unrelated to the most immediate upcoming features, has multiplayer been analysed before as a possible feature to be added? What conclusions were drawn about the requirements/likellyhood/desire to add such feature?

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: May 21, 2019, 03:12:37 pm »

Semi-related to FantasticDorf's question above, but referring to the previously noted lack of pushback by demons and druids on organized religions converting those in their sphere for goblins and elves respectively. Is tackling this in the works for the initial release or has it been pushed to a related release after the main villains release?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: May 21, 2019, 03:18:40 pm »

Totally unrelated to the most immediate upcoming features, has multiplayer been analysed before as a possible feature to be added? What conclusions were drawn about the requirements/likellyhood/desire to add such feature?
Toady said it's not going to happen.

There have been a few threads about trying to pull it off with DFHack, but it would be a lot of work and experienced programmer time is in short supply for the community.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 21, 2019, 06:36:35 pm »

Toady said it's not going to happen.

There have been a few threads about trying to pull it off with DFHack, but it would be a lot of work and experienced programmer time is in short supply for the community.
DF isn't an RTS, i.e. its controls rely on automatic pausing while actions are taken, both to allow the player to make decisions in an intelligent (i.e. non time pressured) manner, and to avoid the mess resulting from sending orders on targets that cease to be valid or are replaced by unintended targets for a myriad reasons (the mess is the things DF would have to deal with: player mistakes aren't factored in here).
In general, multi player and pausing are features that are hard to have present at the same time, so games having multiplayer modes typically are lackluster affairs in single player mode, as many features that are useful to a single player are sacrificed on the continuous (usually accelerated) time altar.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 21, 2019, 06:41:16 pm »

Semi-related to FantasticDorf's question above, but referring to the previously noted lack of pushback by demons and druids on organized religions converting those in their sphere for goblins and elves respectively. Is tackling this in the works for the initial release or has it been pushed to a related release after the main villains release?

Its been said in the devlogs in the that druids are a bit more prominent now to decide how their religions are run on elf-sites, and that while toady was preetty sure demon worship was still a thing from the old days, he'd appreciate whatever tinkering modders could do to rectify it. (image attached, look to January's FotF reply thread + devlogs for that time)

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 21, 2019, 06:44:55 pm »

Its been said in the devlogs in the that druids are a bit more prominent now to decide how their religions are run on elf-sites, and that while toady was preetty sure demon worship was still a thing from the old days, he'd appreciate whatever tinkering modders could do to rectify it. (image attached, look to January's FotF reply thread + devlogs for that time)

I remembered the druid thing because I was looking at the associated devlog when I typed the question. I must have missed that particular answer or didn't remember it. My bad. ???

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 23, 2019, 01:11:04 am »

So are these new civs basically goblin civs lead by a released demon? Or actual full-on hell civs packed with demons and a couple of goblins thrown in? Do they create the initial goblins?

Um, spoilers...ah too late. Don't think anyone cares... :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:13:24 am by Shonai_Dweller »

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 23, 2019, 02:04:11 am »

you mentioned that one of these new intelligent undead was killed defending its tower from an attack by another necromancer. Does that mean that necromacers aren't always on the same side, and undead can be made to attack each other now?

Currently I think raised zombies will ignore anything that's also undead, so vampire adventurers can just stroll right into a tower unimpeded. If they're taking their group affiliation into account now, I imagine this will change.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:11:14 am by golemgunk »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 23, 2019, 03:42:53 am »

you mentioned that one of these new intelligent undead was killed defending its tower from an attack by another necromancer. Does that mean that necromacers aren't always on the same side, and undead can be made to attack each other now?

Currently I think raised zombies will ignore anything that's also undead, so vampire adventurers can just stroll right into a tower unimpeded. If they're taking their group affiliation into account now, I imagine this will change.
Remember worldgen works differently to actual in-game interactions. Just look at all the non-goblin poets who go to live in the local Dark Pits to study under the poetry masters there. Try that in-game and see how long you last...  :)

Fair question though. Would be nice to see a little more unity between worldgen and in-game.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2084 on: May 23, 2019, 03:48:12 am »

1. Is there any difference between the different kinds of intelligent undead, or are the different names just there for procedural flavor and to give the player a hint to who raised them?

2. Does the computer-controlled dwarves breaking into hell mean that they get access to adamantine? If they do, how is this handled, considering fortress mode wagons have a seemingly endless supply of all kinds of metals, and I have a hard time imagining players should get access to adamantine without the risk of mining it themselves?

3. New goblin(?) or at least demon-lead civs being born excites me, as that would indicate a change from the current status quo where civilizations only die out instead of being created. However, how about the other forces of evil? Are big enough undead empires considered full civilizations (showing up like that on the c-screen etc.) or are they still considered only expansions of one necromancer's villainous network?

4. Do elves eat the undead? Or, rather, the dead undead that they have just killed?
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 389