Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850962 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2145 on: June 06, 2019, 06:24:08 am »

The broader answer to "Will X be changed/polished/touched?" Is always yes as already pointed out.

The answer for "when?" whenever "X" is not directly related to current devlogs is almost always "some point in the nexr 10 years".

Stockpiles sure need rework, is happening now? Nope. Will it happen next after this release? Maybe, maybe not. Will it happen? Absolutely.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: June 06, 2019, 08:06:00 am »

Someone asked about stockpiles on the kitfox discord after steam release was announced, and while a slighly more specific question I hope it answers it somewhat. Basically, a major stockpile/zone/workshop rework (merging and improving them all) has been planned for a long time but seemingly still not planned to be tackled for the next few releases (depending on how hopeful you want to feel about the implied maybe there ^^). We're likely to see some improvements at least.

Quote from: Mishtal
Could you say a few words about whether (or not?) the accessibility improvements for the steam release will include any changes to things like workshops, zones, burrows, and the various selection methods?

E.g. Different ways of marking multiple tiles at once for various designation actions, workshops functioning different than zones / locations, that type of thing.
Quote from: Tarn
unifying all the workshop/zones/etc. was part of a larger project and might be a bit much, but doing different mousy rectangles and that sort of thing definitely in the mix.  there will be an uncomfortable point where we have to decide just how much we can bite off in terms of wider rewrites, tradeoff between the delay and the first impression
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:10:20 am by Manveru Taurënér »

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: June 08, 2019, 08:08:39 am »

I could be too early to ask but if a player-necromancer gathers a lot of zombies will AI civilizations attack him (ally to attack him)?
If so, will they try to deliberately kill necromancer to lower the threat or just fight wall on wall or it's too much for current AI to demand?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: June 09, 2019, 03:27:49 am »

I could be too early to ask but if a player-necromancer gathers a lot of zombies will AI civilizations attack him (ally to attack him)?
If so, will they try to deliberately kill necromancer to lower the threat or just fight wall on wall or it's too much for current AI to demand?

Player adventurer's can conquer hamlets but other civ's wouldn't care unless you were a real civilization entity, any "war" with you is by proxy of your home civilization as a valid target.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: June 09, 2019, 12:25:59 pm »

What about human outcasts?

KingEdwarf3890

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: June 10, 2019, 06:04:01 pm »

Yo Toady, I think I found a bug based on 1. your statements about intelligent undead, and 2. current werebeast game mechanics. If you have a werebeast and you slice it into pieces and resurrect them just before the full moon, you can actually get multiple whole bodies belonging to the same histfig, or at least you could last I knew. What if you took those bodies and applied the "intelligent undead" spell to more than one of them, wouldn't that crash the game?

KingEdwarf3890

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: June 10, 2019, 09:33:04 pm »

Forget my last message, I didn't know soulless undead used a different histfig. Still maybe make sure it doesn't crash tho. Also, last I knew there was some hard-coded thing where you couldn't resume playing as an adventurer if they got turned into a night troll or zombie while retired. I want there to be, at the very least, a way to work around that and play as a night troll before the Big Wait. It won't kill me if you don't have time, but please?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: June 13, 2019, 10:29:50 am »

Will adventurer mode party members be able to spar with one another non-lethally? Or will they at least be able to fight without wanting to murder one another?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2153 on: June 13, 2019, 10:57:26 am »

Forget my last message, I didn't know soulless undead used a different histfig. Still maybe make sure it doesn't crash tho. Also, last I knew there was some hard-coded thing where you couldn't resume playing as an adventurer if they got turned into a night troll or zombie while retired. I want there to be, at the very least, a way to work around that and play as a night troll before the Big Wait. It won't kill me if you don't have time, but please?

Are the intelligent undead soulless though? We know they retain much of their old identities, maybe this has to do with having souls. Either way it will be complicated as the normal raised undead still don't. The process will have to look something like this:

Have a live werebeast => Chop some limbs off => Reanimate the limbs into normal undead => Wait until full moon, the limbs regrow whole werebeast bodies => Smash the heads of these normal undead werebeasts, so that they die but still have intact upper bodies fit for resurrection => Use the resurrection interaction on those bodies => Have the game crash on you

Now that I think about it further though, this all depends on whether the bodies of former zombies are still considered to be of the original histfig or not - If the connection is lost then doing it will cause nothing. You'll have to be able to resurrect former zombies as well, so many variables are still up in the air.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: June 14, 2019, 06:35:36 am »

Zombies can only die by exposure (rather than say drowning) intact encased in ice or obsidanised (providing its quick enough to not disintergrate them) to make them suitable for double ressurection.

I dont think zombie werebeasts would work without the added application of magic, neither do i think sentient undead retain histfig interactions like still being able to breathe fire for ressurected dragons lucky enough to have the faculties they had in life despite being animal.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: June 14, 2019, 12:22:03 pm »

Related to the story you posted recently about Ustuth; since obviously assassination plots are now being carried out post-worldgen, do players have to worry about assassin's getting into the fort and killing our nobles? We don't get any special protection from those cases, right?

Assuming that's the case, do they show up hostile, trying to sneak in in ambush from the get-go? Or will we have to screen out other visitors?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: June 14, 2019, 01:39:53 pm »

Related to the story you posted recently about Ustuth; since obviously assassination plots are now being carried out post-worldgen, do players have to worry about assassin's getting into the fort and killing our nobles? We don't get any special protection from those cases, right?

Assuming that's the case, do they show up hostile, trying to sneak in in ambush from the get-go? Or will we have to screen out other visitors?

I asked about this some months ago:
"Do you plan on making NPC assassin do their deeds secretly in a fort mode fort, like vampires do? What I mean is, will they be able to kill someone and leave the fort, passing by other dwarves without anyone noticing that they are a/ were the murderer?
It would be a bummer if they automatically just turned into "invader" status after the murder because that would mean no assassin would ever leave a player fort alive, like the guys who try to steal artifacts."
Toady:
"I hadn't quite gamed out fort-mode assassination details; I think the way you describe is probably best, as a parallel to the "successful" assassinations from world gen.  Sometimes, the w.g. ones 'fail', but there's still a duel where the assassin wins; this would probably be analogous to the invader version.  Undetected murder probably involves them succeeding in their stealth rolls until they are adjacent to the target, and then rolling a good attack, which it would then fudge and just turn into a murder (like the fell mood) -- if they aren't sneaking (because they are a visitor or a citizen), they'd just need one stealth roll adjacent to the target to simulate the sudden attack, say, and then the good attack roll.  The automatic fell murder strike successes have always needed some sort of additional justification or material check, but we can ignore that for now."

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: June 15, 2019, 01:11:51 am »

Regarding your concerns about healthcare, have you ever thought about relocating to a country without these kinds of issues (e.g. most of Europe)?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2158 on: June 15, 2019, 05:46:41 am »

Thanks for the answers, Toady!
The vanilla ones are all generally outcasts, since communities all kick them out for not aging after a time, and they often pre-empt that by leaving first, and see plots as required.

Is there a specific ethic concerning this? Will goblins and elves be invariably kicked out of human communities as a rule as a result of their extended lifespans being offensive to mere mortals?

That also brings to question, will goblin and elven necromancers become integrated assets to said goblin and elven communities, or is that kind of cross-interaction for much later releases?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2159 on: June 15, 2019, 05:47:32 am »

Regarding your concerns about healthcare, have you ever thought about relocating to a country without these kinds of issues (e.g. most of Europe)?
I imagine naturalizing to a nation, or receiving a green card to a nation will both be difficult for self-employed individuals, yes?
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 389