Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850875 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2160 on: June 15, 2019, 08:25:06 am »

Thanks for the answers, Toady!
The vanilla ones are all generally outcasts, since communities all kick them out for not aging after a time, and they often pre-empt that by leaving first, and see plots as required.

Is there a specific ethic concerning this? Will goblins and elves be invariably kicked out of human communities as a rule as a result of their extended lifespans being offensive to mere mortals?

That also brings to question, will goblin and elven necromancers become integrated assets to said goblin and elven communities, or is that kind of cross-interaction for much later releases?

I would expect the ethics involved to be unnatural resistance to aging, not the innate one of elves and goblins. Logically, that also ought to mean that goblin and elven necros wouldn't have to flee as long as they don't practice their art in a manner that would raise suspicion. However, I also suspect that the logic may not (yet) check for racial non aging protection against detection, causing goblin and elven necros to behave as ones from mortal races.

Also note that there aren't many goblin and elven necros because life extension isn't an issue for them, so the reasons for them to become necros would be the ones of "science" and power (and possibly some version of grief, with intelligent undead). However, goblins quite often have the goal of "rule the world"...

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: June 15, 2019, 09:55:26 am »

Regarding your concerns about healthcare, have you ever thought about relocating to a country without these kinds of issues (e.g. most of Europe)?
I imagine naturalizing to a nation, or receiving a green card to a nation will both be difficult for self-employed individuals, yes?

No need to acquire citizenship, if you're a resident (or even if you're just passing by) you should have access to most of the benefits in the home country (there's a reason some Brits go over to France for some medical tourism etc.). With a steady income and a citizenship from a friendly nation there's little reason to imagine the EU would deny him long term residence.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2162 on: June 18, 2019, 03:11:56 am »

I think there's also the issue with how the US handles taxing of our citizens on other nations' soil, and renouncing your citizenship to a grand total of 0 countries doesn't sound viable or safe of an option, either.
Visiting another nation to get treatment sounds like a nice idea for mitigating the cost of some worrisome conditions, but travel, which may sometimes have to be frequent in some cases, comes with it's own sorts of costs.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 18, 2019, 11:58:25 am »

There's also the factor of leaving behind friends and family who don't want to move. 

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 18, 2019, 01:08:24 pm »

If anything, Canada would be a more likely option due to proximity.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 18, 2019, 02:41:18 pm »

Will crime syndicate system and the bandit system be merged? Or will they be kept separate? TIA
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 19, 2019, 11:03:14 am »

And how much would it cost for Dwarf Fortress fans to pay full insurance for Threetoe and Toady? Apart from donations, perhaps a gofundme or some such thing could be held. Not that I could personally afford to chip in even a penny but there's the idea at least.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 19, 2019, 06:11:23 pm »

And how much would it cost for Dwarf Fortress fans to pay full insurance for Threetoe and Toady? Apart from donations, perhaps a gofundme or some such thing could be held. Not that I could personally afford to chip in even a penny but there's the idea at least.
I suspect anyone able and willing to pay the monthly costs of insurance for Zach and Tarn are already paying them monthly for making Dwarf Fortress. Just a guess though.

Also, the point is that monthly donations aren't a stable inflow of cash. Doesn't help if the economy collapses and half the rich donors die a couple of months before they suddenly need insurance. Thus the new business plan.

Now, if you're saying a Gofundme could raise enough money in one go to put aside and cover all medical costs for the rest of their lives, then sure you could do that. Gotta ask yourselves (and no doubt they would) if there aren't more worthy causes to donate that much money to though. What if they retire before getting sick? Do they have to give the money back? Not very reassuring.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:13:42 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 19, 2019, 06:47:21 pm »

How much money are we talking about here?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 20, 2019, 12:33:59 pm »

Given a mundane EMT transport to the hospital alone, with no in-transit treatment other than a vitals check, can push 1000 bucks...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 20, 2019, 02:06:17 pm »

Given a mundane EMT transport to the hospital alone, with no in-transit treatment other than a vitals check, can push 1000 bucks...

$300 to wrap a bandage on your arm, IIRC, billed separately from the doctor's fee.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:09:52 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 21, 2019, 05:35:06 pm »

But... I mean insurances doesn't mean you pay an x flat ammount per month or year (in monthly payments anyway) and that covers almost anything, or at least the basic stuff? That's how it used to work here.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 22, 2019, 12:11:20 pm »

But... I mean insurances doesn't mean you pay an x flat ammount per month or year (in monthly payments anyway) and that covers almost anything, or at least the basic stuff? That's how it used to work here.

Assloads of people in the US are uninsured because variously, either the payments are still expensive as fuck, or else the coverage is insufficient. People who end up qualifying for medicare are about the only ones that can get anything resembling decent coverage without paying an arm and a leg (and from experience with relatives that have to use it, wrangling medicare to not deny random shit for arbitrary reasons, actually be prompt about literally anything, get doctors that accept it, etc is a constant struggle).
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 24, 2019, 08:29:46 pm »

that covers almost anything, or at least the basic stuff?
All the affordable insurance plans won't pay for anything, mostly they just throw in a few coins if you cry enough.
They usually don't cover everything involved in a treatment either. For example, covering the surgery, but not the anesthesia or the operation room use. Covering hospital stay but not nurse service and post-op medication.
To top it of, after you went through all your trouble and got a top-notch plan they will tell you that one of the providers involved are not included in their service network and you get stuck with the full bill of the individual service.

I thought Brazil had it rough.
In a time before time, I had a name.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 25, 2019, 11:43:17 am »

Sorry for the barrage, I just had a lot of pet thoughts recently.
1) Did villains end up with plots to steal pets?
2) Can you give animals to people in order to earn their favor?
3) If people see an animal they like is hanging out with you in adventure mode, will their improved mood make them any more amenable to talking with you or traveling with you?
4) Before the big wait, will people talk more about their favorite animals, colors, foods, and art styles?

Right now you can parse out if somebody likes a tone of music based on their responses, which is WILD, but it's hard to get much of a personality picture in adventure mode even with extended interactions since they don't need to eat or anything.

5) Can you ride a horse that isn't yours? If you jump on a horse that isn't yours, what does the horse think? What do people of the village it belongs to think about it? What about if you didn't tell it to leave but just sat there, just having landed on someone's horse? Is that like being seen in sneak mode?
6) If you start with a bunch of cows with your adventuring group, are they all pets, or can you just have a herd's worth of food to live off of through the barren winter months?
7) Where does it draw the pool of embarkable adventure mode animals from? Could that pool be expanded through the concentrated efforts of the player, either in adventure mode or through domesticating in fortresses?
8 ) Can adventurers enact the cattle raid style missions they can currently do if they retire in a fort?
9) What if, hypothetically, an adventurer leapt onto a dragon? What if it'd been tamed by a fortress, or was a dragon of a group not at war with the player's civilization? What if it *hadn't* been tamed by a fortress? What does the dragon think about all this and could it ever end well for the player with an extremely good animal handling roll and some foreplanning?
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 389