Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851544 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2235 on: July 25, 2019, 05:25:20 am »

That new devlog is really exciting - I fully support the bogeyman change.

Question about the "summon" interaction that was mentioned - how will they work exactly? Will the summoned creatures innately spawn with armor/clothes (if intelligent, anyway) and will they be loyal to the caster who summoned them? Would there also be a possible time limit on how much they linger, as well as a limit on how many could be summoned at a time?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:35:34 am by ZM5 »

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: July 25, 2019, 05:49:19 am »

This recent Dev Blog excites me!

"Evil that spread now fades away over many years if there's no new activity in the region. The primordial evil areas don't fade. Certain demons can now spread evil from their towers (or disaster forts), and the properties of the evil areas are related to the spheres of the demon. That is, a blight demon might kill vegetation, while a deformity demon can spread evil creature populations and wormy eyeball grass and so forth. "

With that part of the blog mentioned above, will there be tags related to the ability for demons to spread their evil from their towers/forts? Like a tag that allows/disallows a demons that controls a specific, and custom Dark Fortress using Race from spreading evil?

And with these new "abilities", does that mean theres more to play with for custom secrets? :D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 02:28:31 pm by Fatace »
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: July 25, 2019, 05:51:05 am »

Wow, awesome to see more pre-mythgen magic. While I'm mostly relieved about the bogeymen change, I have to admit that part of me is probably gonna miss the little troublemakers.

So what's the deal with these magic divination dice? They certainly sound interesting, but the devlog was a bit vague on the specifics. Maybe you'd care to elaborate a bit on what they are and how they work? Unless it's a surprise, of course. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:55:29 am by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2238 on: July 25, 2019, 06:09:13 am »

I forgot, regarding the dice - is their cursing going to be a hardcoded thing or will it be possible to add raw-defined boons/curses from them?

There was also the bit about the undead lieutenants having a push-back ability - is that another new interaction function or a non-syndrome dust attack?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: July 25, 2019, 06:38:36 am »

Question about the "summon" interaction that was mentioned - how will they work exactly? Will they innately spawn with armor/clothes (if intelligent, anyway) and will they be loyal to the caster who summoned them? Would there also be a possible time limit on how much they linger?
What about modding them? Whatever\wherever they are.  ;D

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: July 25, 2019, 09:41:16 am »

Is new stuff going into the interaction examples folder?
Are only demons able to spread evil from towers, or raws creature be given the power to do so?
Are undead lieutenant powers also raws-able?
Apparently dice can curse you into a different form. What types of creature can you turn into?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2241 on: July 25, 2019, 10:29:53 am »

Question about the "summon" interaction that was mentioned - how will they work exactly? Will they innately spawn with armor/clothes (if intelligent, anyway) and will they be loyal to the caster who summoned them? Would there also be a possible time limit on how much they linger?
What about modding them? Whatever\wherever they are.  ;D
Oh whoops, I fixed the post. I blame the heat wave.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: July 25, 2019, 10:47:57 am »

Wow, awesome to see more pre-mythgen magic. While I'm mostly relieved about the bogeymen change, I have to admit that part of me is probably gonna miss the little troublemakers.
after the set up of civil/playable bogeymen with just the entity animal tokens.

kinda worried if the modding potential for creatures that use the bogeyman token is now shoved to one region and or one randomly generated creature that needs to show up?

though regional/timed summoning interactions seems like a fun concept where creatures can just pop up out of thin air. really don't know about the bogeyman changes given uhh on one hand it might make playable bogeymen either a straight up raw dump custom creature file or dfhack thing and not entity animal token domestication thing the site just does, but having said region where the 'cackling' summons and kills them be in one area means if someone gets past the hurdle of making them playable in the new update they won't have to fear the night twice as harder than a normal adventurer
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2243 on: July 25, 2019, 11:09:12 am »

kinda worried if the modding potential for creatures that use the bogeyman token is now shoved to one region and or one randomly generated creature that needs to show up?

though regional/timed summoning interactions seems like a fun concept where creatures can just pop up out of thin air. really don't know about the bogeyman changes given uhh on one hand it might make playable bogeymen either a straight up raw dump custom creature file or dfhack thing and not entity animal token domestication thing the site just does, but having said region where the 'cackling' summons and kills them be in one area means if someone gets past the hurdle of making them playable in the new update they won't have to fear the night twice as harder than a normal adventurer

It might be the heat wave getting me as well, but I can't get my head around that question. My guess is that it is supposed to be parsed something like this:

Will the new changes to boogeymen that restrict them to certain evil biomes affect all creatures with the [BOOGEYMAN] token? Or just the generated ones? Will we be able to choose whether to restrict a modded creature, and if so, are there any further moddable options (restricting to only GOOD biomes, only biomes connected to a certain sphere etc.)?

(I'm sorry if I misunderstood a part. Still, even if that wasn't what that question was supposed to be I still want the answer to this one)

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: July 25, 2019, 12:19:43 pm »

Now that bogeymen are restricted to specific regions, are you going to make it possible for them to show up during fort mode?

Do you plan on making these dice based divinations possible to happen in player forts, or is that pushing too far into the actual magic update for now?

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: July 25, 2019, 03:53:01 pm »

I'm honestly not too sorry to see the bogeymen restricted, though I will admit I'm biased due to having had a number of adventurers with some promise die to them. The regional effects and the new summoning powers are very exciting to me though. And I do have a couple questions.

With these changes to demons and goblins civs, will it (soon) be possible for playing as adventurers from goblin civilizations without modding? Or are there some other things that are a priority before that? Cause I'm at least partly wanting to make some adventurers who serve the demons leading the goblins with the new plotting system.

Any ideas what effects on the environment the various demonic spheres will have aside from those listed in the devlog? Anything that would be particularly drastic? Would a demon with the sphere of torture have a regional effect of inflicting constant (but just manageable) pain? Would the domain of a demon of lies whisper falsehoods into the inhabitants' ears? Will misery demons cause depression? Anything like these?

EDIT: A couple more questions:

With the expansion to polymorph-like abilities mentioned in the devlog, are these specifically expansions to transformations? And if so, what sort of changes are you planning on?

This one is more about organized religions and the prevalence of various religions in towns. But is there going to be a changed or added personality facet that influences the zealousness of a historical figure's/post-gen figure's beliefs? Or is it still going to be up to chance that a certain person has a certain level of belief?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:08:39 pm by EternalCaveDragon »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: July 25, 2019, 04:09:31 pm »

I like how this makes the type of demon leading each Goblin civ more important. Death demon overlords seem especially intimidating, being able to fill their tower with undead lieutenants with their own powers.

Can a particularly poor roll of the dice in attempting divination curse the adventurer permanently, or is it all temporary effects?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:11:29 pm by Egan_BW »
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: July 25, 2019, 04:47:45 pm »

What are some of the lucky dice roll blessings that you mention in the Steam update?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:19:13 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: July 26, 2019, 04:00:04 am »

It might be the heat wave getting me as well, but I can't get my head around that question. My guess is that it is supposed to be parsed something like this:

Will the new changes to boogeymen that restrict them to certain evil biomes affect all creatures with the [BOOGEYMAN] token? Or just the generated ones? Will we be able to choose whether to restrict a modded creature, and if so, are there any further moddable options (restricting to only GOOD biomes, only biomes connected to a certain sphere etc.)?

(I'm sorry if I misunderstood a part. Still, even if that wasn't what that question was supposed to be I still want the answer to this one)
seems like you got most of the question, but it mostly wondering if the bogeyman spawn in state which I usually call 'the cackling' for clarity is going to be restricted to just where the nightmare demon and the nightmare sphere? like given how demons hang out with goblins forts it would likely means dark towers who are notoriously known to be fps killing experiences will just have bogeymen spawning in. this set up would probably make dark fortresses even more of a place no one will just go to out of fear of extreme slowdown.

on a different topic is there anything in the future for cavern exploring for adventurers? since all this talk about surface problems remind me that there no incentive to draw folks to the caverns in the recent update.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: July 26, 2019, 05:56:05 am »

Primordial evil (our current, naturalised evil for generic evil tag monsters) and spherical evil are seperate concepts in the devlog as i understand it, bogeymen having their raws opened up might need to ignore the fact that fortresses are constantly bathed in light, until such a faculty or day/night and lighting is added, or to explain that its exonerated by the corruptive ground letting them manifest for as long as they like.
  • Very much depends how it's implemented @Rumrusher, if a sphere corruption and [Evil] is enough to actually manifest, the biome would be completely optional if supported like that. That's my running assumption on how Toady is going to implement wide swathes of monsters, as unlanded normal animals just don't exist in the world without a biome.
Will we have more UI warning information and pop'ups for players when embarking upon a corrupted land of what kind of sphere it is? Especially since in theory a fortress close to a tomb could come under range of a corruption spread offsite probably needs to know, if there aren't any noticable effects if reprecussions come up later. Like blight spheres killing crops etc.

This might have amusing/immersive implications when the creatures in [FORCED_SPHERE:DEATH] (as a example of explicitly needing a sphere instead of primordially existing, and receding when the corruption goes away) start appearing around necromancer towers and mummy crypts rather than explicitly just death-demon towers.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 06:05:45 am by FantasticDorf »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 389