Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850210 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2250 on: July 26, 2019, 07:16:41 am »

Wow, awesome to see more pre-mythgen magic. While I'm mostly relieved about the bogeymen change, I have to admit that part of me is probably gonna miss the little troublemakers.
after the set up of civil/playable bogeymen with just the entity animal tokens.

kinda worried if the modding potential for creatures that use the bogeyman token is now shoved to one region and or one randomly generated creature that needs to show up?

though regional/timed summoning interactions seems like a fun concept where creatures can just pop up out of thin air. really don't know about the bogeyman changes given uhh on one hand it might make playable bogeymen either a straight up raw dump custom creature file or dfhack thing and not entity animal token domestication thing the site just does, but having said region where the 'cackling' summons and kills them be in one area means if someone gets past the hurdle of making them playable in the new update they won't have to fear the night twice as harder than a normal adventurer
Will the new changes to boogeymen that restrict them to certain evil biomes affect all creatures with the [BOOGEYMAN] token? Or just the generated ones? Will we be able to choose whether to restrict a modded creature, and if so, are there any further moddable options (restricting to only GOOD biomes, only biomes connected to a certain sphere etc.)?

Primordial evil (our current, naturalised evil for generic evil tag monsters) and spherical evil are seperate concepts in the devlog as i understand it, bogeymen having their raws opened up might need to ignore the fact that fortresses are constantly bathed in light, until such a faculty or day/night and lighting is added, or to explain that its exonerated by the corruptive ground letting them manifest for as long as they like.
  • Very much depends how it's implemented @Rumrusher, if a sphere corruption and [Evil] is enough to actually manifest, the biome would be completely optional if supported like that. That's my running assumption on how Toady is going to implement wide swathes of monsters, as unlanded normal animals just don't exist in the world without a biome.
Will we have more UI warning information and pop'ups for players when embarking upon a corrupted land of what kind of sphere it is? Especially since in theory a fortress close to a tomb could come under range of a corruption spread offsite probably needs to know, if there aren't any noticable effects if reprecussions come up later. Like blight spheres killing crops etc.

This might have amusing/immersive implications when the creatures in [FORCED_SPHERE:DEATH] (as a example of explicitly needing a sphere instead of primordially existing, and receding when the corruption goes away) start appearing around necromancer towers and mummy crypts rather than explicitly just death-demon towers.

bogeymen don't have to worry about the whole light and indoor stuff when they are pulled from the cackling, as is any creature who has [NIGHT_CREATURE_BOGEYMAN] just act like normal (outside of their corpses have a small shelf life before vaporising), so far the bogeyman token just gives a special event where they could spawn from nothing at night, and instantly kills any creature with the token if the special event ends including those preexisting from world gen hmm also probably kills any pre-existing creature if they aren't closer to the adventurer when the cackling is active.

It's kinda why I kept talking about 'the Cackling' the whole time as it's the event(or well the end of said event) that kills bogeymen not the bogeymen themselves dying due to certain conditions.
so this is going off the assumption that bogeymen will just linger around dark fortresses (which would be favored as this envisions goblins arming bogeymen with armor and weapons thus making them the elite force to the goblin army) along with trolls and goblins and not just some night trap to halt adventurers from trying to solo a dark fortress.

though if both happen it means it's probably FUN to activate the cackling near the spire to quickly wipe out the bogey-army inside when you enter the spire, then all the goblins and trolls who saw their friends instantly die in front of them take emotional stress damage.

So far my issue is the chance of no bogeymen existing in a region due to a dice roll of world gen via demon selection not evil region than the shoving bogeymen to goblin sites so the common player could avoid them more easily and not just get assaulted on day 0.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 07:20:04 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: July 26, 2019, 04:14:43 pm »

1. Will other backgrounds besides hearth person in adventure mode confer a special status in your starting site?
2. How many of the background skills will eventually be usable in adventure mode?
3. Will demon towers exist for all spheres for purposes of region changing or just certain spheres? If only a few which ones.
4. Will our player adventurers be able to use magic divination dice?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2252 on: July 26, 2019, 05:08:56 pm »

4. Will our player adventurers be able to use magic divination dice?

Going by this bit, yes - "And, um, the divinations doing things sometimes. I went to a shrine, rolled a tin icosahedral die and it was a bad roll and I was cursed to be a snowy owl for a week. So I flew up to a nearby rooftop and pondered tangents.".

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: July 26, 2019, 05:16:10 pm »

There's also the fact that pretty much every form of magic already in the game can be accessed by adventurers (vampirism, lycanthropy, necromancy) so having divination be any different would be kind of arbitrary IMO.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: July 26, 2019, 09:16:25 pm »

Do or can summoned creatures have souls? Is it possible to summon something that becomes a permanent historical figure, talks to people etc without causing crashes?(a problem Ive faced with reanimated intelligent body parts)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: July 26, 2019, 09:29:26 pm »

Will there be a skill associated with Divination, or maybe some other barrier to entry like needing to get someone to tell you how to do it?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2256 on: July 27, 2019, 06:26:00 am »

How much effect do the gods themselves have on the divination? Or are their uh... structures still too barebones to do anything there? Are we also going to see stuff like card-reading, crystal gazing and entrails reading(proper necromancy :D), will necromancers in specific do necromancy? Do you have any plans for divinations themselves to actually predict the future, or will they primarily be communications?

For some reason when discussing future-reading magic I always imagined trances, so the dice caught me off guard :D

Oh, oh, oh, can histfigs observe and tell each other about divinations/game outcomes? Because a lot of stories start with an (un)lucky roll of the dice :D Did you manage to have histfigs themselves be capable of rolling dice?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 06:35:11 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2257 on: July 27, 2019, 07:46:04 am »

Are there any plans to change how ranged weapons work in adventure mode and in the raws before the big wait? By that I mean, being able to change the firing/reload speed on an individual basis, or being able to aim for specific body parts.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2258 on: July 27, 2019, 01:53:33 pm »

There's also the fact that pretty much every form of magic already in the game can be accessed by adventurers (vampirism, lycanthropy, necromancy) so having divination be any different would be kind of arbitrary IMO.

I second this.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: July 27, 2019, 02:32:33 pm »

Damn last blogpost spawned a lot of questions which is very cool!
1. What if npc or player steals the divination dice/s from shrine? Will they get cursed if they wont return the dice/s in some days later?
2. Do divination dice's count as artifacts?

Noventrice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: July 27, 2019, 05:46:23 pm »

What sort of activities prevent evil from fading from an area? Is it only evil activities such as evil clouds/rain? Could I theoretically be in an area as it becomes more good or does my presence there count as activity?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: July 27, 2019, 06:24:19 pm »

I think Toady meant the activity of evil creatures, and even then just those he's indicated to be capable of influencing the evil level of a region (which I think is currently limited to demons, necromancers, and intelligent undead).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Beakromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: July 28, 2019, 06:01:47 pm »

Will certain megabeasts be able to spread evil regions?
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: July 28, 2019, 08:23:04 pm »

I don't think any of the current megabeasts have the [EVIL] tag, so I doubt it personally.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: July 28, 2019, 10:01:08 pm »

I do not think any do either. But it'd be pretty neat if a modded megabeast with that tag could spread evil based on its spheres too.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 389