Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 163

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 447347 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2265 on: July 28, 2019, 08:23:04 pm »

I don't think any of the current megabeasts have the [EVIL] tag, so I doubt it personally.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: July 28, 2019, 10:01:08 pm »

I do not think any do either. But it'd be pretty neat if a modded megabeast with that tag could spread evil based on its spheres too.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: July 29, 2019, 01:40:14 am »

Swapping between Hearth person and Peasant is currently the only way to "select" your starting town in Adventurer (it skips to the next random town each time until you get someplace close to where you want to be). Presumably that's no longer functional with the new background profession selection? Will you add a location selection to the new interface? Or do you prefer Adventurers to always start somewhere randomly within their selected civ?

zakarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: July 30, 2019, 07:57:50 am »

Toady probably answered this before but here goes nothing:
Can demons start plots? Will they? If yes, in what conditions? would they have some special advantage to tempt people and make agents?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: July 30, 2019, 09:28:07 am »

I'm pretty sure any sapient creature belonging to an entity can start a plot (though I might be wrong).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Beakromancer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: July 30, 2019, 11:54:36 am »

Now that I think about it, titans associated with evil regions might be able to spread them, but that begs the question:
Will certain creatures or entities be able to spread good regions?
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: July 30, 2019, 12:03:25 pm »

Toady almost certainly would've said something about that in the last devlog, so again I'm going to say no.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: July 30, 2019, 01:01:40 pm »

Well, no vanilla entities currently host creatures with the [GOOD] tag, and I think there have been mentions of the possibilities of modding the spread of regional aspects before now. Might have been my wishful imagination though.

Renarin21

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: July 30, 2019, 01:13:23 pm »

For the Myth and Magic Update, let's say there is a world where humans are created by a precursor race, and worship them. If another race, say the dwarves, are descendants of these precursor gods, will the humans revere dwarves, or generally be more prone to viewing them as religious figures? If humans are unaware of this mythic connection, but then they become aware of it, will their attitude concerning dwarves change?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: July 30, 2019, 05:18:02 pm »

Thanks for the previous answers!

About the intelligent undead -

Do they look like corpses / talking zombies? If not does that mean you can only raise someone who recently died? Or does the spell repair their body during resurrection? 

Could I go as an adventurer to my ruined/retired fort, resurrect all my favorite dwarves and start a fort of semi-immortal undead?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • whip cracking mad overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: July 30, 2019, 11:15:45 pm »

I think that the answer to this is no.

[Regretfully, in my opinion, since this moves away from sandbox play and towards setting the world as opposition/problem to overcome - the great hero purging evil at the end of a sword or the great villain enthralling all who surround them (or perhaps we can find a safe little niche and avoid it... just maybe...).  Or to put it positively  ;D how cool would it be to actively spread good and have demons, necromancers and other assorted nasties flee before waves of unicorns, sunshine and fluffy wamblers.  But that would be another gaming paradigm, more along the lines of the player actively making the world...]

In the longer term it shouldn't matter since with the Myth and Magic update (coming soonTM) it is spheres that will be spreading (or not) and the old good and evil biomes will be defunct.  Evil spreading is just the test case/initial prototype for all this (and Toady has probably accurately? judged the sorryness of the current crop of DF players before inflicting this upon us).

My two cents.  Happy to be corrected as usual.  :P

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: July 31, 2019, 12:03:04 am »

Spreading good could get into a philosophical argument about how "good" it is to shoulder out indigenous varieties of plants and animals with good aligned versions as the sphere of influence grows.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2277 on: July 31, 2019, 03:30:57 am »

I personally kinda see good biomes in the same way as the Hallow from Terraria. It's the "good" equivalent, except its still not particularly good (I suppose a better way to describe it would be "fey") - its just as dangerous as the evil regions (atleast in Terraria, in DF, maybe not so much since the good regions are less fleshed out, unless you use mods), what with unicorns freely goring people to death and the like. So spreading good biomes would still not actually be the good thing to do.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: July 31, 2019, 11:02:05 am »

Spreading good could get into a philosophical argument about how "good" it is to shoulder out indigenous varieties of plants and animals with good aligned versions as the sphere of influence grows.
I personally kinda see good biomes in the same way as the Hallow from Terraria. It's the "good" equivalent, except its still not particularly good (I suppose a better way to describe it would be "fey") - its just as dangerous as the evil regions (atleast in Terraria, in DF, maybe not so much since the good regions are less fleshed out, unless you use mods), what with unicorns freely goring people to death and the like. So spreading good biomes would still not actually be the good thing to do.

I mean if there's always some potentional perverse benefit to doing so you might want to, supernaturally ideosyncratic 'demons of light' and other light magic associated entities like that being more of a annoyance than primordial unicorns are potentially. Some benefits like extension of your life for the longetivity sphere but the areas being patrolled by bloodthirsty magical sentinels.

Others might contextually be annoying, like a sphere of music making insufferable sound which makes it hard to sleep, there's a bunch of suggestions of spheres here.

Will there be sphere created semi/mega-beasts where appropriate emerging with the wildlife (within world costing), or will they always be resorted to world generation?

I was kind of hoping to have a greater muck monster for the evil biomes pop up when the conditions were right, or inversely to the quotation, maybe a Phoenix spontaneously appear over rebirth good areas to add some danger setting things on fire with the halves of a roc and a dragon together.

I think that the answer to this is no.

Without a proper reply from Toady, until its all sorted out, i think evil biomes as they are will just be 'Primordial' until least after the changes to world generation are put in and a clean slate to make the world as they want it. But i mirror your opinion that spreading good biomes at this stage doesn't really have a purpose outside of being there for modders.

Potentially some interaction with angel vaults or shrines I abstractly think of having a higher potential chance of hosting some couter or alternative influence but thats just my own speculation.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2279 on: July 31, 2019, 12:08:57 pm »

To be fair, considering we'll probably be waiting a few years for the magic update, it'd still be a useful thing for modders to allow spread of good/savage regions through certain caster types.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 163