Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850282 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2295 on: August 02, 2019, 02:57:04 am »

You mentioned that the subjects of magical experiments could join populations. Through this, is it possible to introduce non-procedurally generated races into the world? Say I make Race X, and make an interaction so that a wizard type will focus on creating Race X in large numbers (or at least just create them in general), with the intent of seeding the world with this artificial race. Would that all work smoothly? Also, as of now there is a way to have non-necromancer wizards live in towns. By not giving them a "rais undead" flag, they'll hang out in civilizations and even end up ruling them. Could that also have an impact on the spread of Race X?

They probably join civs in the same way animal people, gorlaks and plump helmet people civilize. So your new race would need whatever tag makes that work right now (local_pops_produce_heroes?)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:00:07 am by Shonai_Dweller »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: August 02, 2019, 03:13:51 am »

5. With proc gen creatures finally roaming the world at smaller-than-titanic sizes, is there going to be any place in game to see the creature size number? [/color] Even picking animal people adventurers is a challenge right now. If I'm a bluejay person coming across a bright green N, which started out as a kea, but is small overall I've already got a pretty difficult time making a threat assessment even before I even know if its size has changed in the transformation.

This has been suggested. An argument has been made that a size number would break immersion.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155144.0

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2297 on: August 02, 2019, 04:14:26 am »

On a more serious note, is the time limit for summoned creatures a hardcoded part of the interaction or will that be definable?[/color]
In the reply, he said: "If the summon doesn't have a timer, they are just a person/animal/etc., though they don't have cultural links and so forth. "
So I guess it might be doable, but who knows.

Ah, hm. Still kinda confused on how it'll play out in actual gameplay, since I presume the summoned undead lieutenants (in order to perform their jobs effectively) don't have OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, as that'd make them auto-hostile to the people they'd interact with...but then, if they also have no civ links or relation to the person who summoned them, wouldn't they just stand idly by if someone were to attack the summoner? I remember that from doing some experiments with reanimated minions that don't have OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, they disappointingly wouldn't really attack anything (short of auto-hostile creatures like berserk werebeasts or megabeasts) even if the reanimator was attacked, so I was kinda wondering if this'd also be the case here.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: August 02, 2019, 04:20:44 am »

5. With proc gen creatures finally roaming the world at smaller-than-titanic sizes, is there going to be any place in game to see the creature size number? [/color] Even picking animal people adventurers is a challenge right now. If I'm a bluejay person coming across a bright green N, which started out as a kea, but is small overall I've already got a pretty difficult time making a threat assessment even before I even know if its size has changed in the transformation.

This has been suggested. An argument has been made that a size number would break immersion.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155144.0
Yeah, the argument was basically that size absolutely does need to be addressed, in a way that's easy for a player to see quickly, but that it would be better if that weren't an immersion breaking number (the same way most other things like weapon speed,  damage resistance of a dorf's neck and such aren't shown even though internally they're all number based calculations).

A absolute new DF player doesn't know (at first) what a size 300,000 demon means, but he does have a fair idea of how dangerous something described as "20 times bigger than a [player_character_race]" is.

Either is better than "large", which we have right now.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:22:54 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: August 02, 2019, 04:42:41 am »

Will we see our lands transformed into evil lands if an evil force installs itself near our fortress ? Will this process work after worldgen ?

I suppose it's a "yes", but just to be sure.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2300 on: August 02, 2019, 07:16:54 am »

Thanks for all the answers!

Hm... It's a good thing we don't have haunted objects yet, knowing this game, the haunted cabinet will start plotting world domination and get put down the instant someone identifies it as a cabinet.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: August 02, 2019, 10:55:51 am »

How many souls do the amalgamated giants have? Do the amalgamations contain all the souls of the victims used, or are they considered to have died?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #2302 on: August 02, 2019, 12:35:13 pm »

Collections of citizens can also be amalgamated into monstrous giants.
If he ever finds a way to implement boats that he's happy with, we're going to end up with ascii versions of Necrofex collosi... probably as an unexplained accident.

it'll be wholesome to see them out in the worlds.
... I'm not sure that's quite the right word for gargantuan-scale body horror, but I'm not complaining.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: August 02, 2019, 01:51:31 pm »

Collections of citizens can also be amalgamated into monstrous giants.
If he ever finds a way to implement boats that he's happy with, we're going to end up with ascii versions of Necrofex collosi... probably as an unexplained accident.

... I'm not sure that's quite the right word for gargantuan-scale body horror, but I'm not complaining.

I would do the first thing intentionally the moment I can. Because hell to the yes on Necrofex colossi.

Beakromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: August 02, 2019, 02:09:28 pm »

Will magical experiments have different traits depending on what creatures they were made from? For example, a creature made from elfs being at peace with wildlife.

EDIT: A better example would be a creature made from dwarves needing alcohol.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:51:32 pm by Beakromancer »
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: August 02, 2019, 02:13:16 pm »

Will magical experiments have different traits depending on what creatures they were made from? For example, a creature made from elfs being at peace with wildlife.

Seems like a bit of an oxymoron, a creature made through death magic (and ostensibly being opposed to life in general because of that) being at peace with at least some of the very things it'd have been made to kill.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: August 02, 2019, 02:31:34 pm »

You mentioned that the subjects of magical experiments could join populations. Through this, is it possible to introduce non-procedurally generated races into the world? Say I make Race X, and make an interaction so that a wizard type will focus on creating Race X in large numbers (or at least just create them in general), with the intent of seeding the world with this artificial race. Would that all work smoothly? Also, as of now there is a way to have non-necromancer wizards live in towns. By not giving them a "rais undead" flag, they'll hang out in civilizations and even end up ruling them. Could that also have an impact on the spread of Race X?

Along those lines: Could a necromancer hide in plain sight in a civ by only raising intelligent undead minions?
  If the humans or whatever can't recognize rotting flesh or gaping wounds in a person running around a necromancer with intelligent undead minions would look more like an organized crime ring, gang, or if they are clever enough a performance troup, guild, or cult.

Unrelated question- Are aquatic megabeasts planned for some point? I imagine they are an addition for when boats happen, but it would be cool to have Kraken or monstrous whales drag themselves out of the sea to attack a coastal fort, or lurking in the shallows to ambush.

Thanks for the answers, the last few weeks of dev notes have been very exciting!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: August 02, 2019, 03:58:19 pm »

The game already has numerous creatures that could be made into aquatic megabeasts somewhere down the line (sea monsters, sea serpents, giant sperm whales, etc.). But yeah, probably won't happen until boats, and we're likely to be waiting for those for a long while yet.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: August 02, 2019, 06:56:51 pm »

A flash of teeth and ripping steel as the axelords get to work trying to reduce this many headed writhe of bodies into lunchmeat.

Are dwarves fearful of these magical experiments/roughly average to the effect of fighting the undead, or will they cut them down with as much regard to their attitude to battle as wildlife or other sentients?

Experiment doesn't infer that they're actually un-alive, just possibly dorf-centipeded to send alcohol into one dwarf's stomachs when they inexplicably somehow consume a flagon or barrel of booze, then through multiple bodies, then a tantrum throwing sober dwarf sown in there at the end somewhere unable to drink the consumed alcohol who punches the dwarf head at the top with whatever control they have of one arm of the body.

Erm less satirically and more practically they might just get ressurected by a necro or arrive already undead with them if i understand correctly without any further elaboration.

Can 'magical experiments' be revived by necromancer zombie summoning? That sounds messy potentially to have a amalgamated monster of many limbs split off into arm-zombies. Also quite !!fun!!

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: August 03, 2019, 12:30:24 am »

With the villain update, if a goblin from a goblin civ obtains the title of king over a human or dwarven civ through a coup and intrigue, will that civ then start to act more similarly to a goblin one because of the goblin king's values, which originate from a goblin civ? For example, will a human/dwarven civ that is ruled by a goblin from a goblin civ be more likely to declare wars?
Do war declarations, etc depend on the values of the actual ruler or does diplomacy right now depend on the civ's average values instead?
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 389