Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850747 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2325 on: August 09, 2019, 08:11:41 am »

Wasn't there the example of a world made out of pieces of cosmic eggshell affecting map mechanics?

fakedit, found a reference:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: August 09, 2019, 11:11:07 am »

"beta testing"
Huh, with paid beta testers or volunteer testers from the community?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: August 09, 2019, 11:34:30 am »

"beta testing"
Huh, with paid beta testers or volunteer testers from the community?
No idea. Comment is on this week's Steam update.
But they have to come up with something. Can't release a paid game on Steam and hope for the community to bug report the first version out like usual.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: August 09, 2019, 02:12:58 pm »

Wasn't there the example of a world made out of pieces of cosmic eggshell affecting map mechanics?

Yes, but this only means the map logic has to be capable of handling cosmic egg shells and the like, i.e. provide a mechanism for those to be placed on the map (as well as to grow the map around them, when appropriate), and it's quite possible Toady will define them in his usual way, i.e. such that they can be generated procedurally using a set of rules for the outcome. However, this just means the mechanism to place such things has to be present, not the capability of actually generate any of them (and, in fact, the mechanism to place them doesn't have to be present either, only the hooks required to do it).
I'd expect such a mechanism to be capable of using multiple generated inorganic materials (and possibly organic ones too, and probably ordinary ones as well, such as e.g. gold metal [as well as gold bearing ore]), together with rules for how to place it (a big shell, a cube, shattered pieces of different sizes, etc.). While the resulting map engine may be capable of placing cosmic egg shells on maps, the "current" world wouldn't generate them.

AliceRed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: August 09, 2019, 05:40:07 pm »

Yes, but this only means the map logic has to be capable of handling cosmic egg shells and the like, i.e. provide a mechanism for those to be placed on the map (as well as to grow the map around them, when appropriate), and it's quite possible Toady will define them in his usual way, i.e. such that they can be generated procedurally using a set of rules for the outcome. However, this just means the mechanism to place such things has to be present, not the capability of actually generate any of them (and, in fact, the mechanism to place them doesn't have to be present either, only the hooks required to do it).
I'd expect such a mechanism to be capable of using multiple generated inorganic materials (and possibly organic ones too, and probably ordinary ones as well, such as e.g. gold metal [as well as gold bearing ore]), together with rules for how to place it (a big shell, a cube, shattered pieces of different sizes, etc.). While the resulting map engine may be capable of placing cosmic egg shells on maps, the "current" world wouldn't generate them.

Didn't Toady mention that he plans on having things like the Underworld be replaced with procedurally generated, unique environments in future versions of the game? Alongside more distinctive magic/fantasy environments on the surface ground like MythGen-unique cities, structures and locations, as well as presumably other dimensions once the off-map stuff starts being worked on. Perhaps the map rewrite has to do with setting up these elements.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: August 10, 2019, 03:03:54 am »

Yes, the map rewrite will enable new versions of the Underworld (and caverns), and it's intended to address a number of shortcomings in the current implementation, as well as enabling a number of new things (such as multiple view ports and other dimensions). One of the problems with the current implementation is that when you load a mid level tile you load all of it, i.e. all levels down to and including the underworld, when there are a lot of cases (in particular for adventure mode) where you only need the surface and possibly a bit down if there's a dwarven settlement.
Toady has already mentioned that multiple viewports won't be in the first Myth & Magic release, but the rewrite will still provide the foundation for it.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: August 14, 2019, 05:06:58 am »

Could you give more detail on the exact mechanisms behind tantrums/depression/stumbling around and the resulting insanity? (Not talking about strange moods, which are already extensively detailed) Like, what are the exact stress thresholds to reach, successful rolls to pass, relevant personality traits (beyond the already known propensities), effects of mayoral consoling, and so on?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: August 14, 2019, 01:50:34 pm »

With the myth release, will the prayer system in adventure mode be changed so that when you talk to your deity in a high-magic world, the deity might actually respond (whether by physically talking back or through some sort of "sign")?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:53:32 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: August 14, 2019, 09:13:21 pm »

With the myth release, will the prayer system in adventure mode be changed so that when you talk to your deity in a high-magic world, the deity might actually respond (whether by physically talking back or through some sort of "sign")?
Yep. This was explictly stated some time ago. Along with different planes which can be planes for each deity.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: August 14, 2019, 09:46:33 pm »

Could you give more detail on the exact mechanisms behind tantrums/depression/stumbling around and the resulting insanity? (Not talking about strange moods, which are already extensively detailed) Like, what are the exact stress thresholds to reach, successful rolls to pass, relevant personality traits (beyond the already known propensities), effects of mayoral consoling, and so on?
Be aware that stress is not working as intended. Intended thresholds and what's actually going on are two very different things probably.

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: August 14, 2019, 10:09:16 pm »

Is there any index of asked/answered questions? Maybe sorted by topic, or at least in an easy UI to skim until you find what you're thinking? The forum's search function isn't great, and the thread is huge now.

Anyway, what I want to ask Toady is:
Will we ever be able to make foreign weapons such as pikes, morning stars, lashes etc. in our fortresses? Maybe a way for the group (or maybe just individual dwarves) to learn how to make them somehow?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: August 14, 2019, 11:20:03 pm »

Is there any index of asked/answered questions? Maybe sorted by topic, or at least in an easy UI to skim until you find what you're thinking? The forum's search function isn't great, and the thread is huge now.
No. I asked about this before and even thought about putting something together. Toady prefers that, besides the official info on the Dev pages, info here (and elsewhere) is subject to change so shouldn't be laid out officially. Search works OK. Just takes a while (remember it's not just one thread).

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: August 14, 2019, 11:50:03 pm »

Anyway, what I want to ask Toady is:
Will we ever be able to make foreign weapons such as pikes, morning stars, lashes etc. in our fortresses? Maybe a way for the group (or maybe just individual dwarves) to learn how to make them somehow?
If it seems reasonable for the dorfs to be able to do it, the answer is yes. Broadly Speaking Brother Adams have talked about Civiliation Knowledge and dorfs being able to learn other Civlization sercrets and being able to spread it. This is what in part the books are for.
It hasnt been spoken how civliativation on a whole learns. But invidual dorfs will be able to, eventually. And there been talk about apprentices before. Though ToadyOne is a hems and haws at adding more jobs/roles, as the more them they are, the more dorfs are needed to run about the fort.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: August 15, 2019, 04:07:56 pm »

It is possible at the moment under specific circumstances. 

A dwarf with a preference for a foreign weapon (it happens, though rarely) who enters a strange mood as a weaponsmith will almost certainly make an artifact weapon of that type.

But I take it your question was more about making them on demand in the mundane sense like native weapons.  Prior to the myth and magic update I suspect that the answer is no.  After it, the list of weapons regarded as 'native' for a given race will likely be procedurally generated.  I don't think there are any plans to allow races to learn how to (generally) make foreign weapons - could be a topic for the suggestion board, though.  ;)

seht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: August 18, 2019, 09:06:17 pm »

What's the current difference between world generation and world activation? As in, what stops with the former?

Will vampires and necromancers automatically be villains, or is villainy something that follows from personality traits?

Edit: Ty Helmet Man, my global dark userstyle greys all text, I never had a clue about the color coding lol...

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 10:14:31 pm by seht »
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 389