Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850899 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2340 on: August 18, 2019, 09:31:55 pm »

What's the current difference between world generation and world activation? As in, what stops with the former?

Will vampires and necromancers automatically be villains, or is villainy something that follows from personality traits?

Toady will only answer questions highlighted in lime green.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: August 18, 2019, 11:25:01 pm »

Is it going to be possible to send out your dwarves to build tunnels and roads (off the map), or will that have to wait until after the map rework?

What were the parameters for generating the dwarven language (i.e. seed)? Sorry to ask but it would kind of help to be able to err... "fill in" certain... missing words.

Will it be possible for, say, hostile religious cults to take a hold or carry out their conspiracies within your fortress with the upcoming release?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: August 19, 2019, 12:16:24 am »

Will it be possible for, say, hostile religious cults to take a hold or carry out their conspiracies within your fortress with the upcoming release?

I'm pretty sure that's the plan for when he get to fort mode villainy after the adventure mode parts he's working on currently. Exactly how much of that will come through remains to be seen though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: August 19, 2019, 02:23:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's the plan for when he get to fort mode villainy after the adventure mode parts he's working on currently. Exactly how much of that will come through remains to be seen though.
You can kinda do this already. You can do mulitple forts and set up roads and it'll be respected on the world map. Though there is a buffer zone between the two fort areas and that problem if I recall Toady has stated would presist to any off site creation.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: August 19, 2019, 05:19:57 pm »

Once i had a world with two continents separated by an internal see, a bit like the strait of Gibraltar, and i built a fortress to "connect" with an underwater tunnel, then i abandonned the fortress. I don't think armies or anyone "understood" that they could use the tunnel. (as an adventurer, I could, though ^^ ). So i'm not completely sure you can.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: August 19, 2019, 08:19:31 pm »

Once i had a world with two continents separated by an internal see, a bit like the strait of Gibraltar, and i built a fortress to "connect" with an underwater tunnel, then i abandonned the fortress. I don't think armies or anyone "understood" that they could use the tunnel. (as an adventurer, I could, though ^^ ). So i'm not completely sure you can.

I've heard that any site can be used as a bridge, regardless of what you build in it. Info is from some version between world activation (0.40.01) and raiding (0.44.01) updates.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: August 20, 2019, 03:01:46 am »

Yes. If you build a fortress in an "ocean" world tile you create a pathing connection across that strait (assuming, of course, there's land on both sides of the connection). I've used that to separate gobbos from the other civs (to avoid the gobbos taking over the world), building a bridge fortress on an ocean tile, retire immediately, and then build the "real" fortress on the gobbo side, with access to the other civs as well (both according to pre embark neighbor info and in practice in the form of caravans and visitors).
I haven't tried that strategy with mountains, but would assume it works the same.

Of course, if there's not an actual connection at the local level an adventurer would still have to swim of fly to get across: it's one of the disconnections between fortress and adventurer mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: August 21, 2019, 10:07:13 pm »

I assume when you get there, Fortress Mode will also be getting some kind of villain knowledge screen, right? Will it be possible for visitors to share their knowledge with the Fortress, somewhat like the info the Outpost liasion gives you? I assume there aren't any other detectives in the world for now, but it'd make sense to be able to get at a retired adventurer's knowledge and perhaps that of previous fortress inhabitants too?

No, it's not a Suggestion. Move along please.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: August 22, 2019, 05:16:21 am »

As you increasingly create features that every roguelike would want (a legit combat system, say), can you open-source those particular bits of code?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: August 22, 2019, 05:30:58 am »

As you increasingly create features that every roguelike would want (a legit combat system, say), can you open-source those particular bits of code?
N.....

Well OK, let's wait for the official answer (but that's probably the letter it starts with). But just think a moment, Dwarf Fortress combat system works because Dwarf Fortress simulates the physical bits and pieces of every creature in the game and knows the effect of hitting them with blunt and pointy objects. Pretty much no other roguelike does that, so the combat system code wouldn't really be of any use to anyone by itself. Most of the systems are connected in a way that makes sense to Dwarf Fortress and not much else.

So you could ask if Toady's going to Open Source the whole thing, but I reckon we all know the answer to that one.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:32:51 am by Shonai_Dweller »

acastells

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: August 22, 2019, 05:56:18 am »

We will see plots against our adventure mode party ? I mean, we are going to expose a lot of criminals so its logic they want to assasinate us.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2351 on: August 22, 2019, 06:24:41 am »

We will see plots against our adventure mode party ? I mean, we are going to expose a lot of criminals so its logic they want to assasinate us.
You should make your questions limegreen so they're easier to see :)

That said, this has been mentioned several times as one of the endgoals of the whole criminal organisation simulation, so yes :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Jack_Caboose

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: August 23, 2019, 07:35:55 pm »

Since a map rewrite is coming as part of the Big Wait, are there any plans to make sites less-hardcoded as a part of it? For example, having player-defined sites and buildings as options for civs other than hillocks, fortresses, etc., or the option to generate player-defined buildings similar to megabeast shrines that can have custom loot or creatures?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: August 24, 2019, 02:58:09 am »

Since a map rewrite is coming as part of the Big Wait, are there any plans to make sites less-hardcoded as a part of it? For example, having player-defined sites and buildings as options for civs other than hillocks, fortresses, etc., or the option to generate player-defined buildings similar to megabeast shrines that can have custom loot or creatures?
Given that DF will get procedurally generated races in more or less weird worlds, the map rewrite will have to allow for sites that conform to procedurally generated layout rules. However, whether Toady plans to eventually allow for the procedurally generated rules to be overridden by rules in raws can only be answered by him.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #2354 on: August 24, 2019, 08:53:48 am »

Meph's commercial tileset seems to be coloured by hand rather than using the classic tileset's automatic recoloring.

i'm hoping to create an extension of the classic tileset using unicode symbols, but i don't have the time or energy to make copies for all the different colourations of each symbol, so: will the new tileset features be compatible with the current release's automatic tile recoloring?
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 389