Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850547 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2355 on: August 24, 2019, 06:21:35 pm »

Meph's commercial tileset seems to be coloured by hand rather than using the classic tileset's automatic recoloring.

i'm hoping to create an extension of the classic tileset using unicode symbols, but i don't have the time or energy to make copies for all the different colourations of each symbol, so: will the new tileset features be compatible with the current release's automatic tile recoloring?
The new tileset is based on the changes that will be made to Dward Fortress in order to allow such tilesets to be used.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #2356 on: August 25, 2019, 09:52:38 am »

Meph's commercial tileset seems to be coloured by hand rather than using the classic tileset's automatic recoloring.

i'm hoping to create an extension of the classic tileset using unicode symbols, but i don't have the time or energy to make copies for all the different colourations of each symbol, so: will the new tileset features be compatible with the current release's automatic tile recoloring?
The new tileset is based on the changes that will be made to Dward Fortress in order to allow such tilesets to be used.

so, no?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: August 25, 2019, 04:32:14 pm »

so, no?
I wouldn't expect any loss of functionality, no. Just the option to override it for graphical sets. Not sure what you mean by "compatible" though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 26, 2019, 02:27:07 am »

so, no?
I wouldn't expect any loss of functionality, no. Just the option to override it for graphical sets. Not sure what you mean by "compatible" though.
As far as I understand, the new functionality will allow for a broader palette of colors, as well as a wider range of characters for character mode (i.e. replacement of the 8 bit code page functionality with something else [I think it's still unknown if it's going to be fixed width or variable width]), plus a bunch of other things. These things mean there are going to be changes, but, as Shonai_Dweller said, while current functionality probably won't be lost, that doesn't mean you won't have to adapt to make "old" functionality work the same in the new framework.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 26, 2019, 01:04:57 pm »

Not sure if any of these have been asked before so... if they have someone point me to them.

1. Will we be able to set plots in motion during fortress mode. Such as appointing a dwarf to something akin to a spymaster and having him go out on mission to create plots for us. Like assassinating the leader of the elves. Or tricking the humans into going to war with the elves.

2. Will we eventually see even more complex and crazy plots and schemes. Love to see some xanatos gambits show up in some grand evil plots someday. Or even plots learning of and taking advantage of other people's plots for their own gains. (Like some 'hero' finds out about a plot to kidnap the son of the king but instead of stopping it he secretly sets his own plot into motion to allow the kidnapping to succeed only so he may later go 'rescue' the prince and return him to gain respect and political favors.)

3. At this time the only reason anyone wants to learn a secret is because they want to be immortal. Will other the other reasons to learn secrets eventually get their day in the sun; like 'wanting to rule the world', etc.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: August 26, 2019, 01:47:35 pm »

Not sure if any of these have been asked before so... if they have someone point me to them.

1. Will we be able to set plots in motion during fortress mode. Such as appointing a dwarf to something akin to a spymaster and having him go out on mission to create plots for us. Like assassinating the leader of the elves. Or tricking the humans into going to war with the elves.

2. Will we eventually see even more complex and crazy plots and schemes. Love to see some xanatos gambits show up in some grand evil plots someday. Or even plots learning of and taking advantage of other people's plots for their own gains. (Like some 'hero' finds out about a plot to kidnap the son of the king but instead of stopping it he secretly sets his own plot into motion to allow the kidnapping to succeed only so he may later go 'rescue' the prince and return him to gain respect and political favors.)

3. At this time the only reason anyone wants to learn a secret is because they want to be immortal. Will other the other reasons to learn secrets eventually get their day in the sun; like 'wanting to rule the world', etc.

1. I believe the extent to which schemes can be carried out in fortress mode will have to await their implementation, i.e. Toady probably has a large list, but will inevitable have to draw a line well before the next year is through (and maybe even this year).

3. There will eventually be more secrets, but I think new motives for learning the existing one is a novel approach. It will be interesting to hear Toady's answer (it's not uncommon in fantasy to have the motive for seeking immortality simply to allow time to perform [perfectly legitimate or otherwise] research and acquire knowledge, for example, and I think those kinds of necro towers may already be on their way into the game).

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: August 26, 2019, 04:31:30 pm »

1. Will there be a chance that new races created by demon or necromancer could have inborn special/magical abilities?
2. Will more legit organizations such as site governments, merchant companies and mercenary companies also appear in the organization tab in the intrigue menu?
3. If the player joined a group present in the organization menu would they appear on the graphic?(Currently it is possible to join bandits and criminal groups at least at an entry level).
4. Will special buildings like guild halls also appear in generated human settlements?
5. Will any of the new special buildings appear in elven settlements?(Unlikely I know but I thought I'd ask.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: August 27, 2019, 02:20:57 am »

1. Will there be a chance that new races created by demon or necromancer could have inborn special/magical abilities?
:
Assuming you mean in the upcoming release (rather than in/after the Myth&Magic arc) the answer is most likely no. There's little point in cobbling together something that immediately (in DF time terms) will have to be replaced. For the long term, I expect various special abilities to appear in some generated races.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: August 27, 2019, 04:10:50 am »

:
Assuming you mean in the upcoming release (rather than in/after the Myth&Magic arc) the answer is most likely no. There's little point in cobbling together something that immediately (in DF time terms) will have to be replaced. For the long term, I expect various special abilities to appear in some generated races.
Well, if he's going to be testing out procgen critters in this release anyway, chances of also giving random innate powers a trial are fairly high. I mean, it won't be anything beyond what's already possible (poisonous bites, evil dust, fire breathing Fun, head-bumping power, etc).

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2364 on: August 27, 2019, 08:48:19 am »

Well, tbf, the lieutenants do get special powers, so it's not unlikely the abominations will get some of them as well.

I suspect the guidhalls and such are in the towns and elven settlements too, the fortresses were just mentioned as the current fortress generator is the most fiddly of the settlement generators. (elven taverns are under a big tree, elven shops are just a tree, so either of these would be sufficient framework for now)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Bydth

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent RAW editor, adept farming manager.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: August 28, 2019, 07:40:58 pm »

With the Improved Sieges subfeature, will the skills, attributes, and facets of histfig siege leaders affect the behavior of the invading forces?

Elaboration:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, while I’m here:
Take a look at:
 Accursed Farms, For old/weird/old&weird games and half-life machinima.
Broville v11: For being the most detailed Minecraft city ever.
Zero punctuation: For the roasting of one video game a week, with vulgarity, profanity, and hilarity.
Dwarf fortress: For- oh, oh, nevermind.

alan8325

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: August 29, 2019, 12:21:39 am »

Couple questions on the map rewrite:

1. Will we get multi-level furniture? For example, grand doors that are 2+ z-levels high and multi-block statues, similar to trees?
2. Will
be changed a proper plane of existence?

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: August 29, 2019, 12:59:33 am »

Will
be changed a proper plane of existence?

This is part of what makes the rewrite necessary, hell and other places are going to exist as separate planes as part of the myth & magic update.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: August 29, 2019, 01:02:34 am »

Hell/the Underworld in the current version of the game is merely a placeholder for a more generalized system. Planes of existence will be randomly generated with each world after mythgen, and some of them will undoubtedly be more hellish than others. So in a sense the answer to your second question is both yes and no.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: August 29, 2019, 02:12:00 am »

Couple questions on the map rewrite:

1. Will we get multi-level furniture? For example, grand doors that are 2+ z-levels high and multi-block statues, similar to trees?
:
There is going to be a multi tile mechanisms/traps arc some time after the Myth&Magic arc. This arc may include boats, unless those are introduced earlier (Toady is grappling with the mutual dependency between boats and economy). Things mentioned in this context are elevators, more elaborate traps using multiple tiles, multi level entrances, etc. One would assume the map rewrite is going to take these future changes into account by allowing for them to be introduced, ideally by having the framework in place ("ideally" in the sense that things often run into complications when you're actually implementing a feature).
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 389