Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850373 times)

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2385 on: September 02, 2019, 11:42:30 am »

Woops I have another last minute question or two.

As of right now, rumors get cluttered up with "so and so was attacked by small animals" and the histories are full of "so and so attacked so and so, though the latter escaped unharmed." In the coming releases, will dishonest assassins be bribeable, and will they return with the rumor that they attacked their target, but they got away? I know lies would be extra code, but these rumors are already spreadable.

Also,

To what extent are the endless conversation topics about being attacked by animals that immediately run away used? Will telling these stories to the elves make them mad, under the hood somewhere? Do companions use these attacks to determine if you're taking them towards glory or death effectively enough? And are any filters planned before the big wait?

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: September 02, 2019, 02:55:57 pm »

With all these new fancy intrigue mechanics, do you reckon that adding in proper secret societies won't take too much effort down the road? As I see it now, the main thing that's missing is having them have motivations beyond generically amassing power, and letting them form a more formal hierarchy as a direct evolution of the current agent networks and such.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: September 02, 2019, 05:06:37 pm »

Is this the presentation Kitfox said would be up tomorrow (september 2:nd)(link to statement), or is it another one?

Also, it seems Tarn's beard is back. I suppose the intricacies of adding villainy called for an extra surge of dwarf power.
That's tomorrow.

There's was PAX livestream interview today too  Maybe it was a few hours ago?

The RPS interview w/ live DF game panel was held at the Sphinx Theatre, so it wasn't livestreamed (PAX only has Twitch live streams for the Main, Hydra & Raven Theatres and PAX Arena). RockPaperShotgun will probably publish the video or transcript later.

Here's the Twitch VOD for today's presentation if you haven't seen it yet: https://player.twitch.tv/?video=475872864&t=02h (timestamped @ start of the panel)

Toady's FDG keynote was on Wednesday, Aug. 28. So far I haven't found a recording of that event. I also tried searching for recordings of other FDG presentations and past conferences, and there doesn't seem to be any.

If people started using either colors, this thread may start to look like checkered vomit.
youmeanlikethis?

You vomit.
You retch.
You retch.
You vomit.
You retch. (x11)

But yeah, like that

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: September 02, 2019, 05:08:05 pm »

Will warehouses/trading companies, mercenary companies, guilds and new religions will be relevant in fortress mode (in the form of visitors, religions getting founded at your fort, merchants establishing trading posts, building shrines, etc.)?

Are bandit forts, monasteries or mercenary headquarters considered sites that you can raid, loot, raze or conquer?

Why were castles pulled out?

Can the fortress player make alliances with other civs?

Can intelligent undead arrive as migrants or visitors?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: September 02, 2019, 05:30:41 pm »

Are bandit forts, monasteries or mercenary headquarters considered sites that you can raid, loot, raze or conquer?

Why were castles pulled out?

Can the fortress player make alliances with other civs?

Yes (devblog)

Castles were pulled? Was that something from the interview yesterday? They were meant to be part of the new building additions like monastries and bandit camps.

You don't play a civilization yet (that'd need an entirely new mode). You are a site belonging to a civ. So not at all likely.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:33:41 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: September 02, 2019, 05:34:14 pm »

I think they were just asking why castles were pulled originally. I certainly hope they haven't been scrapped for the upcoming release, I've been looking forward to seeing them along with the other new buildings.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:39:51 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: September 03, 2019, 03:13:04 am »

If I recall castles were originally pulled because Toady felt that the procedual generation of them just wasnt very interesting, and the classic item of Dungeons and it interconnecting with other sites underground sites was proving to time consumming. So instead of having boring castles, that may have been needed to be completely torn out, they didnt include it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Nibblewerfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: September 03, 2019, 07:46:12 pm »

How do adventurers turned into animals by bad dice rolls not starve to death?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: September 03, 2019, 09:55:58 pm »

I imagine the eat command isn't disabled? Why would it be?

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: September 03, 2019, 11:37:28 pm »

Do you need hands to access containers? I've never lost both hands and survived so I've never tested it myself.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: September 03, 2019, 11:43:30 pm »

Actually this gives me one thought
Would cursed adventurers after turning into an animal and back heal their lost limbs like the werecreatures?

Nibblewerfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: September 04, 2019, 12:40:16 am »

You can only eat food that is in your inventory or being held by a grasping part. I suppose you could wrestle food out of someones hands with your mouth? You can drink water from streams so you wouldn't die of dehydration at the least.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2397 on: September 04, 2019, 02:21:25 am »

The mouth wouldnt even be usable for wrestling so, yeah. You'd need to just have it in your inventory, but that would require some kind of change to how transformations work so you don't immediately drop everything you carry when you transformm.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: September 04, 2019, 02:23:51 am »

The mouth wouldnt even be usable for wrestling so, yeah. You'd need to just have it in your inventory, but that would require some kind of change to how transformations work so you don't immediately drop everything you carry when you transformm.
I think you would anyway if you transformed into an owl.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: September 04, 2019, 03:49:07 am »

Unless you're turned into a shrew (complete with the reduction in body size) you won't stare to death during a 12 hour transformation.

Actually this gives me one thought
Would cursed adventurers after turning into an animal and back heal their lost limbs like the werecreatures?
Probably not. I'd expect a basic attempt to preserve injuries into corresponding injuries in the new form, with things returned to the previous state when transformed back. By "basic" I mean major limb/sensory functionality that can be translated with some kind of ease, but not bother with fiddly details (translating arms and legs into legs or legs + wings would be reasonable, but lost digits translated to wing functionality would be harder). I'd also expect injuries sustained while transformed to be carried back using the same limited logic. Things get tricky when there isn't a suitable easy translation (such as 6 or 8 legs vs 4 limbs, or e.g. antennae vs tongue/nose).
If a shape change single time "curse" would restore lost limbs I'd expect a flood of (probably adventurer only) people trying to get cursed to suitable shrines.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 389