Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851382 times)

Jack_Caboose

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2580 on: November 16, 2019, 01:34:23 am »

Just a quick question - As the mythgen update will add artifacts with actual effects, how far will this control extend in terms of mods? Would it be possible to, for example, have a library of user-defined artifacts (with set names, effects, materials, etc) that will be guaranteed to show up in a world?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: November 16, 2019, 03:02:46 am »

Just a quick question - As the mythgen update will add artifacts with actual effects, how far will this control extend in terms of mods? Would it be possible to, for example, have a library of user-defined artifacts (with set names, effects, materials, etc) that will be guaranteed to show up in a world?
An editor is planned for Mythgen (maybe not right away), so you can make fixed worlds to exact standards, sites, historical figures, artifacts, etc. So, I'd imagine a fair amount of flexibility through that. Doubt the relationship between that and random worlds has been worked out fully yet though. Would be fun to input exact artifacts that someone will make someday into otherwise random worlds. But probably difficult to realize.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 03:04:50 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2582 on: November 16, 2019, 06:11:23 pm »

Any plans to increase the depth of the Adventure mode "Bard" playstyle? Social skills are getting alot of new mechanics and I was wondeirng if theres any plans to further improve the performance aspect of this? Rather then just the social part.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Tentacle Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: November 17, 2019, 07:17:52 am »

(ban dodge and replies removed)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:58:15 pm by Toady One »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: November 19, 2019, 12:10:08 am »

Adventurer investigations is still ongoing, right? What's the plan for when you finally track down a villain at the top of the network? How will the player know? I imagine someone playing the new interrogation game for hours while the villain adamantly denies working for anyone without ever realising they're telling the truth. Some pay-off would be nice. Not just, well he's dead, did I win? Did I miss a clue?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2585 on: November 19, 2019, 01:29:17 am »

Any plans for improving the currently existing structures like catacombs and dungeons? Will villains hang out in those places if they don't have somewhere better to hang out? Any additional plans for improving them, such as making catacombs more "undead filled" rather then a maze of non-animated corpses skeletons and sarcophagi with the occassional mummy for example could intelligent undead move in down there??

Since some evil biomes spread now could they then overtake a human city/town and inadvertently fill up the catacombs with undead in that way. Could it destroy the town making it a ruin with catacombs filled with undead? Or perhaps be a vector for a new “slay the undead in the catacombs” agreement. Much like the current attack the tower trouble.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:13:29 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

ultimatedumbdumb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: November 19, 2019, 08:52:32 pm »

Guys does toady plan to make building like rimworld where you can just for example order a bed to be created without using workshops.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: November 19, 2019, 09:53:59 pm »

Guys does toady plan to make building like rimworld where you can just for example order a bed to be created without using workshops.
The manager lets you do that already. Just order a bunch of beds.
Dwarves themselves will still use a workshop though. Rimworld folk just build stuff whevever they like? Hmm.

Changes mentioned by Toady regarding workshops involve changing them to zones, somewhat like the Locations now. So presumably you'll be able to add tools, extra people, I guess that might lead to apprentice systems and such. That'll break all sorts of things though so won't happen until the Big Wait (when breaking stuff is allowed, apparently).

Use Lime green text if you want to ask a direct question to Toady.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:55:33 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

ultimatedumbdumb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: November 19, 2019, 09:57:15 pm »

The manager lets you do that already. Just order a bunch of beds.
Dwarves themselves will still use a workshop though. Rimworld folk just build stuff whevever they like? Hmm.

Changes mentioned by Toady regarding workshops involve changing them to zones, somewhat like the Locations now. So presumably you'll be able to add tools, extra people, I guess that might lead to apprentice systems and such. That'll break all sorts of things though so won't happen until the Big Wait (when breaking stuff is allowed, apparently).

Use Lime green text if you want to ask a direct question to Toady.
Thank you

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: November 22, 2019, 04:19:53 am »

Do the plans/current work for fortress mode Villainy include any standing measures the overseer can actively set up to stop, or at least complicate, plots, rather than passive measures in the form of reports to the justice screen that the overseer might potentially notice before the criminal has left the fortress?
I'm thinking of things like guards that actually stop thieves/assassins from accessing restricted areas, rather than just note that they stole/murdered the artifact/monarch (while asleep in the bedroom), and anyone raising alarms (rather than just filed a report) when an outsider is seen carrying off an artifact (that hasn't been given away, of course, although I wouldn't mind if some dorfs would eventually be grumpy about that as well).

Obviously investigations would be active, but they'd have to be based on indications, and so doesn't fulfill this need. The fortress has long been short on standing means to protect against (visiting) vampires and spies (I've never actually seen a "real" spy, but plenty of goblin civ performance troupe members reporting back, as seen by invaders bypassing traps).

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2590 on: November 22, 2019, 07:13:45 am »

Oof yes, like not completely impenetrable, but this IS Dwarf Fortress, so properly fortifying something or the other does seem in line with the game's primary goals :p Would actually make the fortress guard useful.

I have seen spies, but that was like, a very weird situation; I'd put myself in some weird tundra isle(it was caled the bearded isle, can you blame me?), opened a tavern, and people came in over the haunted glacier to find information about random artifacts.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: November 22, 2019, 07:38:30 am »

Artifact hunters aren't spies. They're completely open with what their objective is, although the ones I've termed "infiltrators"* cause a mess when one of them leaves and returns to sneak in and attack, in particular since their hordes tend to come shortly after the tavern opens, and then thin out over time as they gradually change to other military types (mercs and cavern litter) on later visits.

*Have to come up with a new name, as Toady will use it for some villains.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: November 22, 2019, 09:14:14 am »

I love the artifact thief deciding to go visit the tavern after getting his artifact.  Fleeing the map is probably wiser, but it paints an awesome picture.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: November 22, 2019, 10:55:19 am »

It sounds like the release is still an eternity away.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:47:51 pm by thvaz »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2594 on: November 22, 2019, 11:51:13 am »

Artifact hunters aren't spies. They're completely open with what their objective is, although the ones I've termed "infiltrators"* cause a mess when one of them leaves and returns to sneak in and attack, in particular since their hordes tend to come shortly after the tavern opens, and then thin out over time as they gradually change to other military types (mercs and cavern litter) on later visits.

*Have to come up with a new name, as Toady will use it for some villains.

I gnerally call all Artifact hunters "questers" in the current version as tahts what toady calls them, because they actually get tasks from lords to retrieve artifacts and slay beasts and travel the world map to gather info and gather info about it like a person in d&d would. (They even go to taverns and such outside of your fort and it simulates that as you play and you can intercept them on their quest in adventure mode) They aren't really spies s much as NPC Ai adventurers trying to gather info to complete their quest. Much like player adventurers.

Infiltrators as in the upcoming version are then completely different.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quester
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:03:04 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 389