Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850216 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2610 on: November 22, 2019, 11:10:45 pm »

(removed a ban dodge account (Tentacle Demon/DerMeister) and some replies - don't think it was anything crucial, hopefully)

Ayy good to know
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: November 23, 2019, 04:59:26 am »

(well, the first time, Ishas strapped the pick on his back and went to enjoy himself at the tavern, which I then changed.)

Well i dont know if this is a sneaky hint or not regarding whether any subtle changes to unit inventories are being implemented, because that kind of action doesn't really habitually happen, often preferring to keep things they interact with in hands and have a little freakout when they're holding a mug and a object in the other for instance they can't just hook on their belt or put on their person like a player adventurer can with generous inventory.
  • Very rarely ever swapping or putting on back weapons they're using (opaquely connected to armor layer room space or whether two weapons being stored clash it seems like), and reacting to a very specific situation like crossbowdwarves changing weapon to melee (which can be micro'd like sending them to a training range just to revert back to active crossbow-weapon but its unreliable and single type of weapon dwarves are preferred for novice soldiers).
"If the infiltrators (more to say also covering spies/questers) bring a outfit as part of their disguise or profession attire that's bulk (lots of things already attached and full Armor layer %, posing as a mercenary for instance) and wear the artifact on their way out, have you made any contingency to have them trade equipment or will they walk very slowly on their way out trying to wear a platinum helmet without taking the copper one they had on before off."

I would hope that a discarded helmet, and witness reports of the dwarf/agent wearing a stolen helmet would help piece together a unanimous decision from the kind of meta-data the player sees about ownership and the gui stuff being chucked around under the improved system. But i don't think anybody really knows yet at what stage dwarves will get suspicious of the agent's intentions.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:13:53 am by FantasticDorf »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2612 on: November 23, 2019, 09:41:03 am »

(well, the first time, Ishas strapped the pick on his back and went to enjoy himself at the tavern, which I then changed.)

Well i dont know if this is a sneaky hint or not regarding whether any subtle changes to unit inventories are being implemented, because that kind of action doesn't really habitually happen, often preferring to keep things they interact with in hands and have a little freakout when they're holding a mug and a object in the other for instance they can't just hook on their belt or put on their person like a player adventurer can with generous inventory.
  • Very rarely ever swapping or putting on back weapons they're using (opaquely connected to armor layer room space or whether two weapons being stored clash it seems like), and reacting to a very specific situation like crossbowdwarves changing weapon to melee (which can be micro'd like sending them to a training range just to revert back to active crossbow-weapon but its unreliable and single type of weapon dwarves are preferred for novice soldiers).
"If the infiltrators (more to say also covering spies/questers) bring a outfit as part of their disguise or profession attire that's bulk (lots of things already attached and full Armor layer %, posing as a mercenary for instance) and wear the artifact on their way out, have you made any contingency to have them trade equipment or will they walk very slowly on their way out trying to wear a platinum helmet without taking the copper one they had on before off."

I would hope that a discarded helmet, and witness reports of the dwarf/agent wearing a stolen helmet would help piece together a unanimous decision from the kind of meta-data the player sees about ownership and the gui stuff being chucked around under the improved system. But i don't think anybody really knows yet at what stage dwarves will get suspicious of the agent's intentions.

I thought npcs already sheathed and unsheathed weapons? Ive seen it n adventure mode. Which would mean visitors likely will do that.

Dwarf squads are probably more specific for reasons of player control. They wont act like NPCs

Anyways, if someone is seen wearing an artifact rumors get generated already in the current version, so i would imagine that would be one way of letting the player know whats up if the helmet was the artifact they stole.
(And it woul dthen probably be pretty easy for tarn to wrap steeling items generally into that system)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:48:39 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: November 23, 2019, 03:35:08 pm »

Do you think it will ever be feasible (post-mythgen, of course) for a player's various DF worlds to form a sort of "multiverse" similar to that of D&D? In the sense that different worlds generated within a single dataset could be connected in various ways and perhaps even have magical travel between some of them be possible? And if so, is this something you would actually have any interest in pursuing (which is perhaps the more important question)?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: November 23, 2019, 05:52:24 pm »

Do you think it will ever be feasible (post-mythgen, of course) for a player's various DF worlds to form a sort of "multiverse" similar to that of D&D? In the sense that different worlds generated within a single dataset could be connected in various ways and perhaps even have magical travel between some of them be possible? And if so, is this something you would actually have any interest in pursuing (which is perhaps the more important question)?
The portals will allow for a multiverse, so I see little point in connecting multiple multiverses together. Apart from that, it would take merging of the saves to create something coherent (once a tape worm character from one multiverse moves to another, all the info about tape worm characters, their culture, etc. would have to be imported an inserted into the save of the receiving multiverse, essentially causing them to have to merge), resulting in a horrendously bloated save (in current day terms: might be "normal" in 10 years).
A more fruitful offshoot would be to somehow control multiple universes within a single multiverse during world gen, or even generate new ones on demand (new massive ritual opening portal, for instance). However, the secondary universes would need to be kept down in size for the save to remains somewhat reasonable in size (the "world" being just a few world tiles, the history being heavily pruned, etc.).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2615 on: November 23, 2019, 07:18:34 pm »

The portals will allow for a multiverse, so I see little point in connecting multiple multiverses together. Apart from that, it would take merging of the saves to create something coherent (once a tape worm character from one multiverse moves to another, all the info about tape worm characters, their culture, etc. would have to be imported an inserted into the save of the receiving multiverse, essentially causing them to have to merge), resulting in a horrendously bloated save (in current day terms: might be "normal" in 10 years).
A more fruitful offshoot would be to somehow control multiple universes within a single multiverse during world gen, or even generate new ones on demand (new massive ritual opening portal, for instance). However, the secondary universes would need to be kept down in size for the save to remains somewhat reasonable in size (the "world" being just a few world tiles, the history being heavily pruned, etc.).

It also has to simulate whats going on in those as you play if Tarn wants to maintain consistency, (Since the world is simmed as you play now) the other world cant just "pause"while you are in the other.
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2616 on: November 24, 2019, 12:42:55 am »

One last question, more of a fun one. How much were you inspired by daggerfall? The impact on adventure mode is palpable. And in my opinion thats amazing.

Also when will you add openable/enterable windows in adventure mode so we can do a cat burgler style thing in order to enter the villains tower or something? by like climbing the wall then entering the window.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:31:45 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2617 on: November 24, 2019, 02:06:13 pm »

*Looks at window question* *Does a search*

Hot damn, no one actually asked about architectural windows since may 2014 (in the first fotf thread even), and then it was only whether they'd be treated like walls would for climbers to climb over and not into. ._.

*does more searches* Yeah, not in the suggestion forum either, I guess that's because people don't try out adventure mode enough, nor is there a reason to have airvents in fortress mode.

My gut says such windows are gonna wait till after the map rewrite, when sites slowly(?) get resurrected as that would be the best moment to decide how architectural features in site maps are gonna behave. I hope towers/castles get simple balconies to cat burglar into so you can at the least pretend to sneak your way into the villain's hide out.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: November 24, 2019, 08:59:29 pm »

Is something going wrong behind the scenes that causes the forums to keep going down?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: November 25, 2019, 09:52:22 am »

This issue has been raised several time, if i remember well. I even think there is a topic somewhere about it.
Main reply i think is that "forum culture" is something of the past. New people in 2019 don't invest so much in forum as they used to in 2009.
For instance, you could find a lot of "let's play" on the forum in the first years, but now you'll find it on youtube.

However, if you look at max visitor per day in forum stats, you'll see that it's not going down, so the main issue (if it is an issue) is about participation, not interest. (Edit : well maybe there is an issue with interest about DF, after all it's a 15 years very complex old game, but i don't think you can measure interest - or lack of - with forum participation).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:57:06 am by Inarius »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2620 on: November 25, 2019, 10:02:14 am »

This issue has been raised several time, if i remember well. I even think there is a topic somewhere about it.
Main reply i think is that "forum culture" is something of the past. New people in 2019 don't invest so much in forum as they used to in 2009.
For instance, you could find a lot of "let's play" on the forum in the first years, but now you'll find it on youtube.

However, if you look at max visitor per day in forum stats, you'll see that it's not going down, so the main issue (if it is an issue) is about participation, not interest. (Edit : well maybe there is an issue with interest about DF, after all it's a 15 years very complex old game, but i don't think you can measure interest - or lack of - with forum participation).

I dont know why that would have anything to do with the forum going down repeatedly. That answer would me more appropriate f someone observed less activity.
I am an indie game dev!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: November 25, 2019, 11:39:40 am »

Inarius' post left me scratching my head as well. However, I think it's caused by a misinterpretation of "forum going down", i.e. access to the forum being denied, with "interest in the forum declining", which I don't think it is.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2622 on: November 25, 2019, 12:32:31 pm »

yeah, all the question was about is 504 gateway denial we've been getting more often lately...?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: November 25, 2019, 12:39:31 pm »

Glad to hear that's not just me, because I've been noticing that increasingly often too.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: November 25, 2019, 12:49:15 pm »

(Maybe someone else knows the answer to this, but something I've been curious about.) Will a smaller range of intelligent animalpeople be generated in world generation, or is the plan to always have all kinds of animalpeople appear in every world generated? Seems like a smaller range of civilisation-tier animalpeople would make for more distinct generated settings.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 389