Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851091 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2715 on: December 20, 2019, 08:58:02 pm »

Huh, that bit of the devlog totally escaped my notice somehow. But yeah, still wouldn't worry too much about it.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: December 21, 2019, 10:27:37 am »

Indeed. Even months before the Steam announcement, Toady was already expressing frustration at the degree to which he was dragging this cycle out. Don't think Kitfox has much (if anything) to do with it.

Id think the players are too, it has lead to some pretty important issues being unaddressed for a few versions. What is it, like a year and a half, little more since dwarves were completely oblivious (seperate issue in itself) to anything except massive mood infatuation but not much mechanical relationship growth to being haunted wrecks. (which fairly enough was unforseeable as a future problem at the time and was meant to be a effective fix to the issue)

Im not expecting a silver bullet by the next version as much as a developed assurance but its helpful to see a horizon eventually even if we have to wait for the extended steam release which going to a good cause kind of supplants the feeling that if it had not been the case we'd have the update in full and maybe a extra bit of flair presented to us already.

Vaguely seperate question for Toady: Since elves operate in their own religious system compared to polytheism with the Druid holding higher office than the Queen, they are obviously different than all the other races for the next version who mostly adhere to polytheism (and goblin demonic monotheism, but until that's fixed: atheism). Besides establishments for shrines will there be any kind of barebones recognition of druidism from a playable fortress's perspective should a player switch the religious system in the raws and desire to pray to the natural spirit of the mountains?

Its something i might probe into when the version with priests eventually rolls out, but i imagine they're probably far away from acolytes doing very important nature stuff (purportedly via the mass recreational consumption of hemp plants grown locally) in that one day, a fortress priest/druid might inherit a prominent nationally important noble role via mass support or private selection of successors.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:52:08 pm by FantasticDorf »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 23, 2019, 02:42:10 pm »

1. In a previous update you mentioned that animal people were some of the last holdouts to a necromancer's reign of terror. Are animal men going to receive any significant behavioral changes in the next update?
2. If randomly generated necromancers can create special undead, could we create our own necromancer types which could create unique types of undead? Would it be possible to start an adventure mode playthrough as an undead servant of a necromancer?
3. Could reanimating biome regions create special undead?
4. How exactly does a faction gauge the strength of someone they want to attack? You've mentioned before that civs will do this but what factors are at play here? Population, what metals they use, and what pets they have come to mind.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:35:05 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: December 23, 2019, 05:27:42 pm »

1. In a previous update you mentioned that animal people were some of the last holdouts to a necromancer's reign of terror. Are animal men going to receive any significant behavioral changes in the next update?
2. If randomly generated necromancers can create special undead, could we create our own necromancer types which could create unique types of undead? Would it be possible to start an adventure mode playthrough as an undead servant of a necromancer?

1. Necromancers (and demons) will create new kinds of beings in the next update, merging prisoners with the local wildlife. I guess this is kind of related to that. They can escape and later join civilisations just like animal people do now.
certain necromancers and certain demons can also magically experiment on or otherwise corruptly transform the citizens and livestock of cities that they capture. This leads to a variety of humanoids and quadrupeds and others (like little failed experiment winged blobs), some of which can escape into the wilderness and perhaps even rarely reintegrate into society (and thereby possibly become playable in adv mode and available as fort travelers and migrants.) Collections of citizens can also be amalgamated into monstrous giants.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 05:29:59 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2719 on: December 23, 2019, 06:24:20 pm »

He's talking about the world-take-over devlog, where a necromancer took over a small world, and the last vestiges of non-undeadness was a village of animal people. I personally figured they were part of a elven civ before all the elves went, but I guess the question is still valid.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: December 23, 2019, 06:45:42 pm »

He's talking about the world-take-over devlog, where a necromancer took over a small world, and the last vestiges of non-undeadness was a village of animal people. I personally figured they were part of a elven civ before all the elves went, but I guess the question is still valid.
Oh, that. Yeah, a quick look at one of my worlds reveals any number of villages made up mainly of a few animal people. It's not that rare. Doubt Toady's going back to worldgen for this upcoming release. It's already overdue.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2721 on: December 23, 2019, 07:00:03 pm »

I think all intelligent undead might be histfigs due to their being agents (position-holders?) within the necromancer crime network, and being individually raised by the necromancer, and you can't play existing histfigs. I imagine there being some bug in the first version though, where you are able to play as one of their kind due to there being a big enough population of intelligent undead infiltrators within a given civ.
The failed experiments should be playable in adventurer mode, if they escape the necromancer and then rejoin civilization.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: December 24, 2019, 08:53:27 am »

Oh, that. Yeah, a quick look at one of my worlds reveals any number of villages made up mainly of a few animal people. It's not that rare. Doubt Toady's going back to worldgen for this upcoming release. It's already overdue.

A keen memory is that Hyena-Men  v0.34'ish used to have their own little antagonistic routines to stealing livestock and if you embarked near enough to them, you'd see (my memory failing me here a bit) their tents and a little camp fire. They used to harrass my sheep all the while, killing and dragging the corpse off the map when i was starting out playing the game, and while its nice to have them (animalpeople ) included generally, i do long for those days again.

Animal people like flypeople (or anything else really) dominate through numbers even if they don't reproduce so for a lack of people its not suprising if all the animalpeople aren't nominated for military service (which is something i've been trying to get around), its still essentially a human settlement though staffed by animalpeople. So i dont think there's very much to read into that statement in reality.

Edit - No drastic change in the entity will probably occur outside of the Law Arc for recognising the site now dominated by Owl men for instance as a 'Owl Man Hamlet' with values and ethics dictated by the inhabitants i mean, compared to caretaker populations.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:06:49 am by FantasticDorf »

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: December 26, 2019, 11:31:35 pm »

Woops, thought of one more

6. To what extent does your shield protect your mount?

It'd be cool to ride at a fire breathing dragon, deflecting its fearsome breath, preparing to plunge a spear into its beastly heart. It'd be slightly less cool to then have all the fat boil off your horse.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: December 27, 2019, 12:01:05 am »

I don't know. It's already pretty lame that you can negate dragon fire with a piece of pine. Blocking yourself and your entire horse from it seems lamer still. I know, rule of cool, but we'll never all agree on what's cool.

If it was a magic anti-dragon plank of pine I'd have no objections.     

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: December 27, 2019, 02:01:47 am »

Woops, thought of one more

6. To what extent does your shield protect your mount?

It'd be cool to ride at a fire breathing dragon, deflecting its fearsome breath, preparing to plunge a spear into its beastly heart. It'd be slightly less cool to then have all the fat boil off your horse.
Yeah, careful of that one.
Toady thinks of answer...hmm..twiddles with numbers...Not at all! And it won't do much for you against dragonfire any more either.

Hopefully looked at in Better Sieges. Could do with that pre-Big Wait time to tweak some battle logic along with the other stuff.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2726 on: December 29, 2019, 12:05:00 pm »

More questions related to mucking around with books :D

- What determines whether a scholar will actually discover a topic at the end of their research? A coinflip?
- Why can bookbindings and codices not be decorated while scroll rollers can? Is it because the notion of a covering for the codex is missing?
- For many of the non-manual books, guides, chronicles, encyclopedias. I expected them to actually teach adventurers about the content(s), but reading them doesn't seem to do anything. Is this related to the rumour/knowledge split? Do these books do anything on the purest of mechanical levels, or is it mostly unimplemented?

EDIT: I just remembered this, it might be useful: Intel's profiller, VTune, used to have a license cost of 1K a year for use on windows, but nowadays is free there too(in addition to being free to use on Linux and Mac, proly because intel's trying to make up for the spectre/meltdown bugs). I figured you guys would find a use for that :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:14:58 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: December 29, 2019, 08:17:25 pm »

If an artifact gets stolen in an area a player adventurer is in, is it possible the player adventurer will be interrogated if they are suspected of stealing it? If so how will responding to an interrogation as a player adventurer work?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: December 29, 2019, 09:16:52 pm »

If an artifact gets stolen in an area a player adventurer is in, is it possible the player adventurer will be interrogated if they are suspected of stealing it? If so how will responding to an interrogation as a player adventurer work?
I don't think the justice system has been introduced to Adventurer yet (partly due to the problems of having fun while being in a cage). Right now, if people see you with their artifact they'll demand you put it back. Probably hasn't changed from that.

With parties as default now though, rescuing members from prisons and cages should be doable. Still, being interrogated by an NPC is quite a different system to interrogating an NPC.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: December 30, 2019, 03:11:41 am »

Do you have a gallery of family Lutefisk pics? The one with it dripping from your hands like some forgotten beast's poison was the best so far.  :)

--edit
Oh I see, it's a new scrumptious looking pic each time you click the link. The horror...the horror...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 03:13:49 am by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 389