Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850872 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2760 on: January 05, 2020, 12:33:00 pm »

not sure if anyone asked this, but is there a way you can make the rate, and reload time on range weapons a token so we can edit and customize different type of weapons?

Given that there was a suggestion thread for it a few months back, probably not :D

btw, questions to toady should be marked (lime)green, so he can identify them as questions directly to him swiftly :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: January 05, 2020, 04:35:59 pm »

In which case, thx for the encouragement  :)

Not originally by me, just found those lying around and thought you could shed some light. That being so:

1. Do abstract entity populations have any impact on historical figure genetic profiles, or is it limited to the historical figures?

2. Do genes besides colour have dominance or recessiveness?

3. Are personality goals limited to one per creature?

(...Yeah, not entirely relevant, I know. But a lone copyeditor like myself just occasionally runs into something they can't quite seem to verify or fact-check on their own, really.)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:01:51 am by Silverwing235 »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: January 05, 2020, 11:50:31 pm »

Just a heads-up, Silverwing, your limegreen tag isn't, uh, limegreening. You missed the closing tag, to put at the end of your post:
[/color]

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: January 06, 2020, 12:11:24 am »

You don't need the closing tag; it's broken because there's an extraneous space in the tag. It should look like this:
[color=limegreen]
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2764 on: January 06, 2020, 04:37:53 am »

not sure if anyone asked this, but is there a way you can make the rate, and reload time on range weapons a token so we can edit and customize different type of weapons?

Given that there was a suggestion thread for it a few months back, probably not :D

btw, questions to toady should be marked (lime)green, so he can identify them as questions directly to him swiftly :)

It would be interesting to know some of the technical details as to why (not) though.
I marked your comment lime green Luckyowl, in case you don’t frequent this thread.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: January 06, 2020, 05:12:27 am »

You don't need the closing tag; it's broken because there's an extraneous space in the tag. It should look like this:
[color=limegreen]

Thanks to the both of you, but...
You know how some people would knot strings round their fingers by way of reminders for whatever? The mistake was deliberate in that sense.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: January 06, 2020, 10:07:17 am »

[color=limegreen]

Thanks to the both of you, but...
You know how some people would knot strings round their fingers by way of reminders for whatever? The mistake was deliberate in that sense.

I'm not sure I understand you here,

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2767 on: January 06, 2020, 11:29:31 am »

I'm not sure I understand you here,
Silverwing deliberately mangled the bbcode so that they'd remember to get back to it later when they felt confident with their question. It's the first time I have seen this way of handling it myself.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: January 07, 2020, 11:50:12 am »

Nice roundtable podcast by the way and a late thanks for the fotf replies.   :)

I was fascinated by the Wizard as id looked into gathering little tidbits for archaic RAW research, i doubt anything is left in place from the 2d version to use but your description but its very interesting to learn it was attached to a event like that. I would ask a question if i could think of one but it seems a bit arbitary according to its age and the way magic will change for the 'Big Wait' with the wizard tower and starting scenario fluff thrown in too.

Just to confirm, you're not going crazy and the RAW's are there in the string-dump and regular RAW files, but i think it might not have properly been realised/added given there's no recollection of elves causing Treants springing up on the wiki (and related) which is pretty heavily transcribed from forum information. Least not in recent memory.
  • Arrows particularly list their non-existant elf variants within fortress mode's stockpile listings, but i've never seen them in either mode up to current personally
Code: ("treants body plan") [Select]
[BODYGLOSS:CLAW_HAND:TRUNK:BRANCH_ARM:LEG_STUMP:ROOTS_FOOT]
Pity, they seemed to be really cool with a lot of thought put into them too. While the thought is still hot in our minds

Would you consider the concept of treant redemption towards your dwarves retired? Considering the small scope of summonable critters that may be manifested in the upcoming villian update & the big wait itself

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2769 on: January 07, 2020, 12:50:38 pm »

Arrows particularly list their non-existant elf variants within fortress mode's stockpile listings, but i've never seen them in either mode up to current personally
I have arrows and bows that I got from the elves in my current fort... noone knows how to use them, because, you know, exotic weapons, but I do have them. It's those things turning into spiked balls that isn't there right now...

I wouldn't be surprised if the treants are just waiting for myth and magic to make the elves marginally more interesting.

Are werebeasts also among the teleporting (mega)beasts, or do they actually path the world like visitors do?

EDIT: just to save everyone else's time, this was the previous quote on it:

migrants teleport, diplomats/liaisons teleport, merchant caravans coming to the fort teleport - the oldest calendar events.  Are those the only ones left?  All of the 'heroic' and religious and scholarly professions move as armies do (to the fort and otherwise), as do siegers/thieves now.  Ah, beast attacks (mega/forgotten/etc.) are still world map teleporters -- mainly because the FBs live underground and underground travel is still annoying.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:54:45 pm by therahedwig »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: January 07, 2020, 03:25:47 pm »

As far as the graphical release is concerned, you've mentioned that initially there will be no Mac version. Does that mean the Mac version will be put on semi-permanent hold, or will there be an effort to hit the three OS versions in some subsequent release pre-Big Wait?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2771 on: January 07, 2020, 03:40:31 pm »

Having some experience with steam, I suspect the problem is trying to get an executable that steam will download and put in the right place, give it the right permissions and won't have MacOS freak out because it isn't notarized or signed or whatever Apple has come up with these days. Linux has a similar but slightly different problem, placing the executable in the right location, giving it the right permissions to execute, and most importantly, making sure the right libraries are installed.

The thing about these things is that each requires OS specific knowledge, which is one of the reasons cross platform applications are not necessarily ubiquitous.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: January 07, 2020, 03:48:45 pm »

Yeah I think there was some explanation along those lines when it was last brought up, but I'd like to know what the intentions are about dealing with it.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: January 10, 2020, 06:14:26 am »

A question before i forget

Given the way that adventuring can reveal map features to your dwarves by expanding non-settlement knowledge of the world for the fortress mode world map, can we extract information about places from interrogated prisoners or is it restricted to related rumors only leading you to unmarked areas and tidbits of info about persons?

The kind of clauses we already have about invisible caves being un-raidable without a rumor leading players there apply for instance (without having the config off and seeing caves all the time), and the existing state of slabs and their guardians having loose oddly broadly known map co-ordinates.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:51:20 am by FantasticDorf »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: January 12, 2020, 03:19:53 am »

As far as the graphical release is concerned, you've mentioned that initially there will be no Mac version. Does that mean the Mac version will be put on semi-permanent hold, or will there be an effort to hit the three OS versions in some subsequent release pre-Big Wait?

From the reddit AMA, my impression is that he very much wants MacOS and Linux versions, but can't commit until the (development) Windows version is finished so he can actually test his procedures. This is in effect the current situation incidentally, he makes the Windows version and does what he can for MacOS and Linux afterwards, he's just so far been successful, even if it took a little longer like with the Linux version a few years ago.

TarnAdams
[The Great Toad himself[F,S] 138 points 10 months ago

We haven't 100% committed on this one for Day 1 just because the current build set up is sooooo bad, for both Mac and Linux. I can't even play it through my virtual machine (the window is too small), and my Mac Mini is 10 years old, and I need to make sure I can get Mac working as the OS updates (we've had trouble on newer OSX). We'll keep people posted on this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/b147yh/im_tarn_aka_toady_one_dwarf_fortress_is_coming_to/eij5hh5/

Hopefully better build environments come around before then.
Team Bug Fix!
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 389