Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851299 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2790 on: January 20, 2020, 10:35:48 am »

Probably already been asked/answered but when you return to it later, do you intend to add angry mobs to go after corrupt officials? Will we then be able to tell people about the corruption and incite them to do something about it?

Most random npc residents dont even care about invaders conquering their site enough to participate in an insurrection now, in adventure mode at least. How if at all has that changed?

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: January 20, 2020, 04:41:19 pm »

Probably already been asked/answered but when you return to it later, do you intend to add angry mobs to go after corrupt officials? Will we then be able to tell people about the corruption and incite them to do something about it?

Most random npc residents dont even care about invaders conquering their site enough to participate in an insurrection now, in adventure mode at least. How if at all has that changed?

Insurrection and eventual take over of the fortress was put of until after Steam, so possibly nothing at all.

VineFynn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: January 21, 2020, 05:33:08 am »

Are friendship and grudges depend on personal traits or they are totally random? Like dwarves with opposing personal values are more possible to become rivals than those who have similar.

In the past it was like this, dwarves who grudged each other took grim satisfaction when the other died and disliked speaking to them based to gaining negative score upticks in each of their relationships, humorless dwarves also found other comedians grating and annoying until they eventually became grudged, even if it wasn't reciprocated.

Its sort of telling that the fix to relationships would be more needed than ever, because its actually a big crutch of DF's gameplay for having the relationships in the fortress via turtling spiral out of control when too many dwarves are put in too much of enclosed space leading to Boatmurdered level disasters on occasion.

Perhaps dwarves need a "willingness to tolerate other people's nonsense" variable too lol

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: January 21, 2020, 05:34:23 am »

That's just the Tolerance facet, right?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: January 21, 2020, 07:26:56 am »

That's just the Tolerance facet, right?

Its not racially present if i remember correctly, only goblins have it (positive amounts of it). Here's the wiki for it but im quite sure the alignment of Dwarven values doesnt raise it up, it doesnt do anything particular either unless Toady would like to wade in and tell us something about it.

Unlike v0.34.11 most of them dont carry a effect, or have been removed and shifted around like liberalism (Rebelliousness) in response to attitudes to nobles. Its really unsure on whether to say the new screens introduced with the 44 tavern release were really finished in retrospect but the next version should hopefully polish things up.

Not to derail, but while on the topic, amongst their number is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which both seem relatively important to relationships than the current set not carried over in a clear form and are sometimes name for civ values instead.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:49:09 am by FantasticDorf »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2795 on: January 21, 2020, 11:35:54 am »

Insurrection and eventual take over of the fortress was put of until after Steam, so possibly nothing at all.

In reference to inssurrections they were talking about the current world activity insurrections, which have not been changed and still function the same. Not fort mode.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: January 23, 2020, 01:36:53 am »

So, in the world outside the fortress, religious leaders are causing strife, riots, vandalism and all sorts of bad stuff. But in-fortress listening to a sermon you disagree with is a "mild inconvenience". It's a bit contradictory. I assume this is a temporary compromise until stress is working well enough to add more bad stuff and in-fortress strife?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:39:06 am by Shonai_Dweller »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2797 on: January 24, 2020, 12:09:18 pm »

*stares at "omrak"*

That doesn't seem like it would be a df generated name, wait is it... karmo... oh!

Anyhow, hype. Especially really nice to see this last bit of exposition-mechanics being squeezed in, given how much worldgen work there has been.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: January 24, 2020, 05:37:15 pm »

Not sure if it was asked before but what will be the copyrights for game soundtracks? I'm asking because when the game is on Steam I'll start making a series of tutorials as i did before and i used DF soundtrack as background music for it. Will i be able to do it or youtube can potentially ban me for it?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2799 on: January 24, 2020, 05:39:53 pm »

Not sure if it was asked before but what will be the copyrights for game soundtracks? I'm asking because when the game is on Steam I'll start making a series of tutorials as i did before and i used DF soundtrack as background music for it. Will i be able to do it or youtube can potentially ban me for it?
As long as you are playing dwaf fortress, and as you are playing the game's music is playing, you should be fine. The issue comes when using it in unrelated videos.
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: January 24, 2020, 05:42:14 pm »

Maybe better directing this to someone at Kitfox. Doubt they read fotf and won't reply here anyway.
Does YouTube ban video game videos that use that videogame"s music? Wow.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2801 on: January 24, 2020, 09:02:47 pm »

Maybe better directing this to someone at Kitfox. Doubt they read fotf and won't reply here anyway.
Does YouTube ban video game videos that use that videogame"s music? Wow.

No , generally youtube doesn't do that.
I am an indie game dev!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: January 24, 2020, 10:30:48 pm »

Amusingly, instead of mentioning Omrak, a bug at first gave the report as the top villain having "played for sympathy using a shared belief in an unidentified creature"
Leave it to Dwarf Fortress to produce an accidental allusion to the New Testament.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: January 25, 2020, 07:47:43 pm »

Does the economy update for the next version mean that items in the game world will finally be made of metals that make sense? As in, mostly of iron/steel and not platinum or gold all the time?

EDIT: Why won’t DF use mapgen system similar to the one in Cataclysm: DDA? It’s very simple and results in hundreds of structure types, each much more believable than anything DF offers atm.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:35:48 am by FAA »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: January 25, 2020, 08:35:02 pm »

Does the economy update for the next version mean that items in the game world will finally be made of metals that make sense? As in, mostly of iron/steel and not platinum or gold all the time?

EDIT: Why won’t DF use mapgen system similar to the one in Cataclysm: DDA? It’s very simple and results in hundreds of structure types, each much more believable than anything DF offers atm.
Lime green for questions to Toady

On structures you really need to be more exact. What about structures should be better? What isn't realistic? Doubt Toady's going to go play CDDA and study their code just to answer your question.

(Of course, if you're going to write a lot, it's better off in the Suggestions forum).

And there isn't an "Economy update" in the next version (besides some abstract accounts for bribery and weapon upgrades). So, it'll work as it's always done probably.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:18:05 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 389