Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851480 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2820 on: January 27, 2020, 07:42:23 pm »

When dwarves talking to each other is working what does that look like in the game? For example when walking past each other in a hall, is it sort of 'Unit1 greets Unit2', 'Unit2 insults Unit1' then they both continue on? Or is it more in depth like 'Unit1 mentions event/histfig/item to Unit2', 'Unit2 responds directly to mentioned thing', 'Unit1 says "it was inevitable"'?

Assuming they actually say things, does what they say depend on what their knowledge/opinions are of each other? Is this different from when they are specifically Socializing
?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2821 on: January 27, 2020, 07:56:33 pm »

When dwarves talking to each other is working what does that look like in the game? For example when walking past each other in a hall, is it sort of 'Unit1 greets Unit2', 'Unit2 insults Unit1' then they both continue on? Or is it more in depth like 'Unit1 mentions event/histfig/item to Unit2', 'Unit2 responds directly to mentioned thing', 'Unit1 says "it was inevitable"'?

Assuming they actually say things, does what they say depend on what their knowledge/opinions are of each other? Is this different from when they are specifically Socializing
?

If you play adventure mode you could see it. Its very in depth, they even do small talk about the weather. (And yes all the same conversations happen in fort mode as in adventure mode, or rumors wouldn't spread the way they do)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:58:15 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: January 27, 2020, 08:13:27 pm »

Will food spoilage make it to the game?

Many foods have spoiled and otherwise degraded without special stockpiles and attention to vermin for many years, did you have something more specific in mind?

clipped

Yeah, that should be fine! :)  Preferably you'd give credits in the description for the soundtrack, but Youtube shouldn't ding you for it or anything, especially if it's DF-based.

Welcome kitfoxgames! (Hi Victoria!)
Team Bug Fix!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: January 28, 2020, 01:17:02 am »

Will food spoilage make it to the game?

Yep.

Quote from: Flying Teasets
Will rock salt ever become an edible item?

Bumber: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg7933281#msg7933281
Random_Dragon: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg7933335#msg7933335

This has been on the table with, say, food preservation before, and recipes and all that.  So there are few angles and we'll get there when that stuff comes back into view, whenever that might be.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg7937883#msg7937883 from 2016
Quote from: Daniel the Finlander
Is food not rotting in stockpiles just a temporary feature? I've always thought that it was just a temporary placeholder until food preservation is expanded (with smoking and salting, for example), but I'm not so sure now because I didn't see anything in the dev notes.

We have some notes about food preservation, but it's not planned out.  Would probably help the farm situation as much as anything.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: January 29, 2020, 08:12:20 am »

Is there a plan for adding in further integration of plots and intrigues to adventure mode? Can we expect more plot-related goodness before the Steam release?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: January 29, 2020, 08:54:16 am »

Is there a plan for adding in further integration of plots and intrigues to adventure mode? Can we expect more plot-related goodness before the Steam release?
After Steam release according to the devlog.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2826 on: January 29, 2020, 09:07:30 am »

Will villain/plotting networks eventually seek non-adversarial means of acquiring certain goals? For example, providing certain services to acquire assets, working together with ideological or political allies to accomplish a mutually desired goal, or exchanging proprietary information or craft knowledge as a service?

It would definitely be interesting if we were able to intercept a criminal network operating out of our fortress, and decide against dismantling them, instead directly negotiating terms with them and/or sponsoring certain operations if we deem their goals or needs useful.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2827 on: January 29, 2020, 10:20:33 am »

In regards to the new summoning interaction, is there a token for summoning a specific creature (or creatures with a specific creature class) or is it only random and token-based for now? Similarly for the summoning area - Teneb noticed that with the random location parameter the summoned creatures tend to fall from the sky and occasionally take damage as a result.

They also seem to poof out of existence when they walk too far away from the summoner, is there a way to prevent that?

Also, what arguments does IE_ITEM_QUALITY in the shrine effects interaction take besides ARTIFACT? Same question in regards to IE_ADD_WEATHER besides THICK_FOG.

Thanks for the update! I'd be a tad disappointed if there isnt a way to summon specific creatures yet, but the new healing tokens, item summoning, edged ranged interaction attacks and the propel abilities definitely open up a lot of exciting possibilities!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 03:25:08 pm by ZM5 »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: January 29, 2020, 10:45:01 am »

New version is out ! v47 !
It's out !

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: January 29, 2020, 10:52:07 am »

Calm thyself brother. And praise the toad.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2830 on: January 29, 2020, 02:02:24 pm »

Anyway to add summon interactions for specific creatures? IE by defining a new CREATURE_CLASS ?

Instead of just deciding based on presence or absence of tags?

The below doesn't work:  It doenst error out but it doesn't avoid spawning mammals.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If not (or even if so) what are the limitations? Can it use any token or just certain tokens, etc?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:51:28 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2831 on: January 29, 2020, 03:38:48 pm »

What does "all creatures w/ spit + animal people variation get it" (line 24) in the new file changes file mean? Is it describing which creatures get the pet interaction?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: January 29, 2020, 03:48:31 pm »

What does "all creatures w/ spit + animal people variation get it" (line 24) in the new file changes file mean? Is it describing which creatures get the pet interaction?
yeah
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: January 29, 2020, 03:56:19 pm »

When dwarves talking to each other is working what does that look like in the game?
If you play adventure mode you could see it. Its very in depth, they even do small talk about the weather. (And yes all the same conversations happen in fort mode as in adventure mode, or rumors wouldn't spread the way they do)

Those adv mode conversations were more or less the inspiration for the question. I guess another way of asking my question would be: is the way people talk in adventure mode the exact same way they talk in fort mode? Since I've not seen any way to record or observe that these conversations are happening in fort mode I didn't know if they happen the same way or in some a simplified/abstracted way. What are the future plans for how the player will be able to interact with or observe talking in fort mode?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2834 on: January 29, 2020, 05:12:32 pm »

You can enable conversations to show up in the announcements via the announcement.txt file, they're virtually the same as the adventure mode convos. (With the exception that dorfs can actually make friends this way, and I am not sure if adv. npcs actually make friends if you leave them alone long enough. They didn't in .44 at the least.)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 389