Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2914213 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2865 on: January 30, 2020, 06:29:55 pm »

I uh... huh, not a df bug or question or whatnot but not sure where to even bring it up... anybody else seeing weird lines on parts of their bay12 forums pages?

zakarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: January 30, 2020, 06:35:22 pm »

This was probably answered before so if anyone has a previous answer by Toady I'd be more than happy to hear it.
Can dwarves change/adopt religion? Do sermons make dwarves more inclined to a different religion? Can dwarves lose faith in a god?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: January 30, 2020, 07:05:53 pm »

This was probably answered before so if anyone has a previous answer by Toady I'd be more than happy to hear it.
Can dwarves change/adopt religion? Do sermons make dwarves more inclined to a different religion? Can dwarves lose faith in a god?
At least world gen allows for new religions to spring up and recruit followers, which implies those characters can at least adopt religions, and megabeasts have attracted worshipers for a long time.
A post by Toady the other day said you could hold sermons as an adventurer, but that it was rather pointless (which implies that part doesn't do anything useful).
I've gotten the impression religion isn't that powerful in fortress mode yet (lack of time, as usual), but obviously, Toady is the one who knows what the state is.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: January 30, 2020, 09:02:27 pm »

At least world gen allows for new religions to spring up and recruit followers, which implies those characters can at least adopt religions, and megabeasts have attracted worshipers for a long time.
I'm amused by the way that some of the demon lords of hell have, after being unleashed and executing everyone in sight, adopted Dwarven religions.

Worldgen relationships question:
Lovers get married, but do childhood friends ever later become lovers? That seems like it should be a thing on occasion.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:28:35 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: January 31, 2020, 12:04:53 am »

Probably the last question from me for this month- When I was playing an escaped necromancer experiment I traveled around for a few days and didn't get hungry thirsty or tired, do escaped necromancer experiments not need to eat, drink or sleep?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: January 31, 2020, 01:38:31 am »

Probably the last question from me for this month- When I was playing an escaped necromancer experiment I traveled around for a few days and didn't get hungry thirsty or tired, do escaped necromancer experiments not need to eat, drink or sleep?

Well, necromancers don't, so I would assume the same thing applies.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: January 31, 2020, 02:53:35 am »

Necromancers have mastered the secrets of life and death and are now immortal, crazy, book writing, lich type things.
Failed experiments are poor folk who got turned into ugly beasts. Why would one equal the other?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2872 on: January 31, 2020, 03:00:18 am »

A post by Toady the other day said you could hold sermons as an adventurer, but that it was rather pointless (which implies that part doesn't do anything useful).
I've gotten the impression religion isn't that powerful in fortress mode yet (lack of time, as usual), but obviously, Toady is the one who knows what the state is.

Preaching doesn't seem to do much, no, except for attracting criticism (both positive and negative) from the audience.
If you ask them about the event afterwards they can say "it was according to my faith" if they are a fellow believer. Otherwise they mostly say "it was boring", even if they seemingly enjoyed your sermon while you were doing it, claiming "This preacher is good/promising/great.".
After greeting a person who (recently?) listened to you preach they end their greeting you with "Do you have wisdom to share, preacher?".

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: January 31, 2020, 03:24:32 am »

How does the new RANDOM_NEARBY_LOCATION interaction token argument work? That is to say, what checks are performed to determine whether a particular tile is a valid spawn point? Are creature characteristics (such as the ability to fly) taken into account with regards to summoning interactions using this? What happens if such an interaction were to be performed by a flying creature surrounded by nothing but open space when the unit being summoned is not a flier?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:42:33 am by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: January 31, 2020, 06:24:03 am »

Let me start by thanking you for this release! Even though it's early days with crash bugs and weary new mothers, folks are having a lot of fun!

I do have two common questions:

Are altars and dice meant to be adventure only, or for both modes? In fortress mode they can be bought at embark, made in the craftdwarf's workshop, and found in reclaimed worldgen forts, but altars at least cannot be built in fortress mode.

Are dwarf necromancers intended to openly arrive as regular migrants in fort mode? I've watched two very funny streams with multiple necromancer migrants, but they didn't end well.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 06:26:04 am by clinodev »
Team Bug Fix!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2875 on: January 31, 2020, 07:07:01 am »

What are the requirements for a non-player fortress/civ breaching the underworld? It has been observed to happen multiple times in the same fortress (link), but could this happen to the previously emerged demon civ, without any intermediate take-over?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: January 31, 2020, 07:16:52 am »

What are the requirements for a non-player fortress/civ breaching the underworld? It has been observed to happen multiple times in the same fortress (link), but could this happen to the previously emerged demon civ, without any intermediate take-over?
I'm looking at a world with 20 Circus breache (some at the same site). Two of those were caused by goblin civs (goblin civs that were both created by Dwarf circus breaches). They're different civs so kill each other and take over as you'd expect.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:22:04 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: January 31, 2020, 10:31:08 am »

Necromancers have mastered the secrets of life and death and are now immortal, crazy, book writing, lich type things.
Failed experiments are poor folk who got turned into ugly beasts. Why would one equal the other?

Because they're made by necromancers?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2878 on: January 31, 2020, 10:31:44 am »

Gotta get a couple more in before the opportunity closes:

How free-willed are the current intelligent undead? (I remember a long time ago you said one of the big essential things about them is that they could, in fact run off and start a farm, or bandit group etc)

Will we ever see any night creatures akin to a Ring Wraith? Eg a night creature or monstrous magical thing associated with certain artifacts who hunt the current user of it.

Why do the new ghouls and intelligent undead have [SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED:1000:0]

What does the [EXPERIMENT_ONLY]interaction token which always appears alongside  [I_SOURCE:EXPERIMENT]  do? You would think [I_SOURCE:EXPERIMENT] would be all thats needed here. So [EXPERIMENT_ONLY] must do something special.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:23:51 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2879 on: January 31, 2020, 10:33:28 am »

Because they're made by necromancers?

I don't think that's really how logic works. If a necromancer wanted and toady had implemented it a necromancer could totally create something that isnt undead even though it wouldnt be very thematic since they are associated with dead things. But its doable in any case. Theres no specific limitation there. Someone would have to confirm that no_sleep and no_eat etc. are tokens on these things, but it seems like it makes sense, experiments are technically undead right do they not have the NOT_LIVING tag?  But they could in fact still have to eat and such toady would def have to answer that or someone would need to do some raw checking.
For example , they could totally be able to die of old age, we wouldn't know until we look at the raws. Being made by a certain night creature does not automagically give you the tokens of that night creature.  Its easy to add interactions that dont do anything like that.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:42:37 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 391