Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850735 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2880 on: January 31, 2020, 11:45:12 am »

You can enable conversations to show up in the announcements via the announcement.txt file, they're virtually the same as the adventure mode convos. (With the exception that dorfs can actually make friends this way, and I am not sure if adv. npcs actually make friends if you leave them alone long enough. They didn't in .44 at the least.)

Oh cool, I never knew you could do that, thanks for the info.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: January 31, 2020, 12:35:33 pm »

Probably the last question from me for this month- When I was playing an escaped necromancer experiment I traveled around for a few days and didn't get hungry thirsty or tired, do escaped necromancer experiments not need to eat, drink or sleep?

Well, necromancers don't, so I would assume the same thing applies.
Necromancers have mastered the secrets of life and death and are now immortal, crazy, book writing, lich type things.
Failed experiments are poor folk who got turned into ugly beasts. Why would one equal the other?

Because they're made by necromancers?

I don't think that's really how logic works. If a necromancer wanted and toady had implemented it a necromancer could totally create something that isnt undead even though it wouldnt be very thematic since they are associated with dead things. But its doable in any case. Theres no specific limitation there. Someone would have to confirm that no_sleep and no_eat etc. are tokens on these things, but it seems like it makes sense, experiments are technically undead right do they not have the NOT_LIVING tag?  But they could in fact still have to eat and such toady would def have to answer that or someone would need to do some raw checking.
For example , they could totally be able to die of old age, we wouldn't know until we look at the raws. Being made by a certain night creature does not automagically give you the tokens of that night creature.  Its easy to add interactions that dont do anything like that.

Even if it's not a logical requirement that things made by necromancers don't have the needs of living organisms, it still makes sense that it would be one of the first things a necromancer would remove assuming they have the ability IMO. After all, what's more efficient than a servant that never needs to eat, drink, or sleep?

At the same time though, it probably doesn't make sense that every last one of them would have this trait if they are indeed failed experiments.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2882 on: January 31, 2020, 12:59:41 pm »

Probably the last question from me for this month- When I was playing an escaped necromancer experiment I traveled around for a few days and didn't get hungry thirsty or tired, do escaped necromancer experiments not need to eat, drink or sleep?

Well, necromancers don't, so I would assume the same thing applies.
Necromancers have mastered the secrets of life and death and are now immortal, crazy, book writing, lich type things.
Failed experiments are poor folk who got turned into ugly beasts. Why would one equal the other?

Because they're made by necromancers?

I don't think that's really how logic works. If a necromancer wanted and toady had implemented it a necromancer could totally create something that isnt undead even though it wouldnt be very thematic since they are associated with dead things. But its doable in any case. Theres no specific limitation there. Someone would have to confirm that no_sleep and no_eat etc. are tokens on these things, but it seems like it makes sense, experiments are technically undead right do they not have the NOT_LIVING tag?  But they could in fact still have to eat and such toady would def have to answer that or someone would need to do some raw checking.
For example , they could totally be able to die of old age, we wouldn't know until we look at the raws. Being made by a certain night creature does not automagically give you the tokens of that night creature.  Its easy to add interactions that dont do anything like that.

Even if it's not a logical requirement that things made by necromancers don't have the needs of living organisms, it still makes sense that it would be one of the first things a necromancer would remove assuming they have the ability IMO. After all, what's more efficient than a servant that never needs to eat, drink, or sleep?

At the same time though, it probably doesn't make sense that every last one of them would have this trait if they are indeed failed experiments.

Someone just posted some extracted raws on the modding forum,
looks liek expermiments do have  [NO_DRINK] [NO_EAT] but do not have [NOT_LIVING], they also do not have [NO_AGING] and lack a maxage so they dont die of old age.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175437.75
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: January 31, 2020, 02:02:19 pm »

I don't know how often this persists, but in most worlds I generated in 0.47, other races replaced primary races that built those structures. Most hillocks, for example, are full of goblins, to the point where in my last world, most of them had no dwarves at all, which seems to have caused the problem with no innkeepers spawning in them. Do you plan to introduce harsher restrictions on race immigration? Perhaps xenophilia-xenophobia could be a good civ value as well.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2884 on: January 31, 2020, 02:32:25 pm »

I am not sure if dwarven hillocks always have tavern keepers. You need to make sure to find a drinking mound, at the least. And proper taverns with sleeping places and such are typically only in the big sites (towns/big forest retreats/mountain fortresses/dark forts).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2885 on: January 31, 2020, 02:37:43 pm »

I am not sure if dwarven hillocks always have tavern keepers. You need to make sure to find a drinking mound, at the least. And proper taverns with sleeping places and such are typically only in the big sites (towns/big forest retreats/mountain fortresses/dark forts).

They definitely didnt have tavern keepers in the previous version and drinking mounds didnt even have alcohol.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: January 31, 2020, 06:15:26 pm »

Here's a bonus question because I wanted to experiment: I played as a necromancer in the new update and raised a pale stalker, the pale stalker then killed me, is this a bug? If not how do I get my undead lieutenants to obey me?

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: January 31, 2020, 06:16:23 pm »

I wonder if there's a new age name for a world with only necromancers and their undead slaves alive
The new necromancers are capable of corrupting an entire pocket-sized world so it should be possible

FAA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: January 31, 2020, 06:20:40 pm »

They definitely didnt have tavern keepers in the previous version and drinking mounds didnt even have alcohol.

I’m always attempting to play the adventure mode with each new release and I’m always utterly confused and eventually turned off completely. Truly hope that buildings will soon stop being empty husks with no furniture and become a living, plausible environment. The shallowness of sites is in such a terrible contrast with the absolutely great world gen, and unfortunately much more visible to the player. :/

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: January 31, 2020, 06:49:51 pm »

Are player adventurers able to assume identities from necromancer groups? I have been on a quest to find the creator of a created race as that race but when I assume an identity I can't pick the group that the necromancer belongs to.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: January 31, 2020, 07:10:16 pm »

I’m always attempting to play the adventure mode with each new release and I’m always utterly confused and eventually turned off completely. Truly hope that buildings will soon stop being empty husks with no furniture and become a living, plausible environment. The shallowness of sites is in such a terrible contrast with the absolutely great world gen, and unfortunately much more visible to the player. :/

Some buildings do have furniture (particularly in human towns), but it's still not arranged in a terribly realistic or aesthetically-pleasing manner. It sucks, I agree, but unfortunately the situation is a bit complicated at the moment. In game development terms there's a rather fine balance to strike between functionality and aesthetics, and Toady generally prefers to lean towards the former. He does acknowledge that the architecture is currently a bit lacklustre though and plans on getting around to a rewrite at some point (perhaps around the time he does maps?)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:13:54 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

janxious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • buy me a coffee
« Reply #2891 on: January 31, 2020, 10:25:59 pm »

Thx for the new release! Lots of things that seem fun!

Given you've very recently changed the screen for temples, can you please add two pieces of information to it? Specifically:
  • What are the god's spheres?
  • How many worshippers of the god are in the fort?
I can get that information from the new location menu but not from the established location menu and it drives me crazy.
so many orthoclase blocks

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: January 31, 2020, 10:54:06 pm »

Loving the new release and looking forward to the Steam release.

Given that you're going to be selling DF Premium commercially on Steam and have a professional publisher I feel the need to ask, have you or Kitfox given any thought to how you will implement adventure mode romance, relationships and reproduction?

I'm asking this because one of the things I've seen either added in the based game of damn near every RPG or game with RPG-ish elements is the romance options/companions, Mass effect, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, The Elder Scrolls, Fable, Stardew Valley, Divinity: Original Sin, Crusader Kings 2, The Guild, The Sims 1-4 etc.

I just can't help but feel that there is going to be a clamouring for that option once DF goes mainSteam.

For the record my vote is for the Sims style "Woohoo" but only because I know the very real risks with anything more.... detailed...
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: January 31, 2020, 11:40:21 pm »

Loving the new release and looking forward to the Steam release.

Given that you're going to be selling DF Premium commercially on Steam and have a professional publisher I feel the need to ask, have you or Kitfox given any thought to how you will implement adventure mode romance, relationships and reproduction?

I'm asking this because one of the things I've seen either added in the based game of damn near every RPG or game with RPG-ish elements is the romance options/companions, Mass effect, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, The Elder Scrolls, Fable, Stardew Valley, Divinity: Original Sin, Crusader Kings 2, The Guild, The Sims 1-4 etc.

I just can't help but feel that there is going to be a clamouring for that option once DF goes mainSteam.

For the record my vote is for the Sims style "Woohoo" but only because I know the very real risks with anything more.... detailed...
Probably in exactly the same way as Fortress Mode (as far as the sex part goes anyway). That is, invisibly. Easily managed while passing time while in the company of a spouse/lover in Adventurer or while retired.

As for actual romance and such, Toady has threatened bad poetry recitals and there are pages of suggestions over in the suggestions forum on procgen cultural courting rituals.

While it's in the dev notes, it's all so far in the future that it's not likely to have been considered in such great detail yet.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:41:59 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: January 31, 2020, 11:43:42 pm »

Yes, by the time adventure mode romance is implemented it's likely to be against a backdrop of full myth, magic, and law frameworks.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 389