Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850311 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2925 on: February 02, 2020, 11:25:59 pm »

The new necromancer towers are awesome looking.Thank you.
Any plans to make mummies build different looking towers?

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: February 03, 2020, 09:42:33 am »

Why don't statues in temples seem to curse me when I topple them anymore? Have you removed that for some reasom?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: February 03, 2020, 09:49:07 am »

Why don't statues in temples seem to curse me when I topple them anymore? Have you removed that for some reasom?

They only do so according to whether you worship the god or not, i can't remember the specific place but im very sure toady mentioned it in the fotf or devlog at some point. You can alternatively just poke holes in a vampire and lap up the blood yourself to quickly gain access to un-death.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2928 on: February 03, 2020, 10:28:31 am »

Yes, it was nerfed to avoid nonsense with religious persecution (02/06/2019).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: February 03, 2020, 10:30:47 am »

Yes, it was nerfed to avoid nonsense with religious persecution (02/06/2019).

It also by consequence creates a lot more localised night creatures amongst sites where gods are prevelant, so there will be a few historical vampires and were's stalking around particular towns, forts and cities.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: February 03, 2020, 08:26:16 pm »

I've noticed that, at least on my end, "yawn" and "baby" are both the same word in Dwarven: åm. Is this intended?

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: February 03, 2020, 09:54:41 pm »

Will we get a more better representation on how the Dark Fortress Civs Position system works? Modding wise, it seems to have become close to being unplayable as an idea for a "All Civs playable" type mods. With either Custom Offical positions, or newly created ones, causing crashes half the time, or every time. It seems that the new custom positions act like divine metals... They are either made during world gen or not.. and if they are, they seem to stop certain responsibilities being used with player custom positions, causing a further crash.

Will this be looked into with a better way of managing these positions for modders?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:56:43 pm by Fatace »
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: February 04, 2020, 08:40:54 am »

All current mega beasts are of animal intelligence, and so, presumably, breed the same way as animals, i.e. viable male impregnates viable female when opportunity arises. It's worked with the few cases I've had opportunity to try with captured pairs.

Intelligent semi mega beasts presumably use the same breeding model as other "wild" intelligent creatures (such as troglodytes), i.e. the animal breeding model. This can be seen when a group camps in a cavern. I don't know if anyone has tried to set up any breeding programs for intelligent semi mega beasts, though, but it has probably been done.

I figured as that is what my observations seemed to suggest but didn't want to presume, it is disappointing that they truly are nothing more then big animals, but not unexpected, most fantasy settings I know treat at least dragons as intelligent if not giants and ettins.  :(

Fully intelligent megabeasts or otherwise for 44.12 rely on marriage rules and it happens offscreen in w.g, only slow learners like 'Giants' rely on animal-level mating given the practices you can partake in to breed troglodytes and trolls by breeding them on a chain or in cages near compatible mates. Though its fully possible now on 47.01 that cyclopian family groups could be introduced to one another in fortress mode through controlled introduction to one another on a chain in the hopes of them becoming lovers, though its not much of a existance.

This answers my question, the intelligent ones do get treated like Civilised races its just hidden, this changes the question to why isn't this shown in legends in the same manner as civilised races?  ???

The purposes for breeding cyclopses would be a difficult lengthy process, that isn't nearly as productive as breeding trolls (putting in pits, slow down siegers, long lifespan for cage exhibits) for albiet a cyclops has much more potential (once a few years has elapsed) to be used as defensive failguard or guardian of a pit. Taking into account megabeast caps too.
  • The civilized concept of marriage not being applicable to megabeasts and uncivilized creatures and thinking about life-bond/relationship status of a mate -monogomy is a nice thought but probably warrants a suggestion thread instead

Its wasn't really a suggestion in my mind, you've got more of a suggestion then I do as I have no interest in capturing or breeding Mega or Semi-Mega Beasts, I personally prefer adventure mode, I'm really looking forward to a more complete adventure mode as I would prefer to play fortress mode in adventure mode with my character as the expedition leader/overseer and the other six of the starting seven can just be my party members, just requires the rest of the skills to be made functional in adventure mode.  :P

But I digress so back to the subject at hand, I just thought about how there are no details about them breeding only that they do and I wondered the hows and whys of it being like that, I mean they can breed and the semi-megas can talk and many animals can form family groups or life long pair bonds even tho they are "just" animals so it makes a kind of logical sense for the Historical figure Mega and Semi-Mega Beasts to have them, or at least be more detail then as just big hist fig animals, If a magpie can hold a grudge why not a Roc? if Elephants can grieve their dead family/herd members why not Giants?  ???

I thought my question was less of a "I think you should add this" and more of a "I wonder why you didn't add this?" it is why my question was worded as "would it make sense" and if "they(*'re) intended to not have such motivations?", but I can see how its can be taken as a leading question with suggestive undertones   :-[, I'll remove it. :)

At this rate none of my questions will last the month.  :D
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: February 04, 2020, 12:10:29 pm »

Rocs can probably hold grudges... We're just not able to see the thoughts of animals and non fortress members, but they do exist and can be viewed using DFHack scripts. Animal thoughts are usually fairly simple, though, but they do exist.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: February 04, 2020, 12:22:38 pm »

Will we get a more better representation on how the Dark Fortress Civs Position system works? Modding wise, it seems to have become close to being unplayable as an idea for a "All Civs playable" type mods.

It really is weird. Other site types can happily combine variable positions and raw positions from my testing, but dark fortresses can't. That's in addition to the CHAT_WORTHY crash (and I think the other one was two or more LAW_MAKING positions).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: February 04, 2020, 12:27:15 pm »

Rocs can probably hold grudges... We're just not able to see the thoughts of animals and non fortress members, but they do exist and can be viewed using DFHack scripts. Animal thoughts are usually fairly simple, though, but they do exist.

These kind of interactions were deliberately fixed in multiple issue reports already so aren't probably high priority to address as features. A parallel system of animals forming bonds we couldnt see may be confusing unless there were some sort of way to crack open the psychology of your pets.

Will we get a more better representation on how the Dark Fortress Civs Position system works? Modding wise, it seems to have become close to being unplayable as an idea for a "All Civs playable" type mods.

It really is weird. Other site types can happily combine variable positions and raw positions from my testing, but dark fortresses can't. That's in addition to the CHAT_WORTHY crash (and I think the other one was two or more LAW_MAKING positions).

'Risen' fortresses overtook by the underworld clowns are officially listed as 'Goblins' in the embark neighbour screen, rather than seperate so its most likely a conflict of identity where the risen fortresses must be generated with identical to goblin default raws, or be forced into only rising with no pre-made unique-demon towers (as other modders have shown recently by setting their sites to 0 and only having goblins emerge later with their clown masters in the genesis of their civ)

Im still checking it out, but even with the revised method of making goblins only emerge later in deep events, any infringement upon custom positions with CUSTOM_LAW_GIVER used in variable_positions: or attempting to overlap a existing one (which could be done safely in previous 44.12) immediately recieves a crash upon world generation to abort with no errorlog.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:45:18 pm by FantasticDorf »

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: February 04, 2020, 04:56:26 pm »

'Risen' fortresses overtook by the underworld clowns are officially listed as 'Goblins' in the embark neighbour screen, rather than seperate so its most likely a conflict of identity where the risen fortresses must be generated with identical to goblin default raws, or be forced into only rising with no pre-made unique-demon towers (as other modders have shown recently by setting their sites to 0 and only having goblins emerge later with their clown masters in the genesis of their civ)

Im still checking it out, but even with the revised method of making goblins only emerge later in deep events, any infringement upon custom positions with CUSTOM_LAW_GIVER used in variable_positions: or attempting to overlap a existing one (which could be done safely in previous 44.12) immediately recieves a crash upon world generation to abort with no errorlog.

Yeah we are aware, we have gone through it all in the Modded Forums.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: February 05, 2020, 12:48:12 am »

Thanks Toady for the FotF answers, and thank you for the recording of the UCSC talk back in November, I had forgotten to mention it. Enjoyed it very much.

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: PlumpHelmetMan
Just curious: why are failed experiments represented by the letter "H" in-game as opposed to the "Ñ/ñ" tile used for other night creatures?

Untrustedlife: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8083008#msg8083008
PlumpHelmetMan: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8083013#msg8083013

There should be a variety of letters.  I think it uses H for at-least-as-large-as-people humanoids?  This is of course confusing, and the whole reason we went with U instead of H for humans was to have less confusion.  But we are just out of letters now, and Ñ is also confusing because there are many different kinds of experiments in a given tower oftentimes, and they need to be distinguishable (as often as possible.)  The real night creature haunting DF may be the pigeonhole principle...

@PHM: the letter H represents the h in humanoid, and this applies for other possible experiments: Q for quadrupeds, H again for hexapods, b for the failed blobs, etc.; same rule as titan or FB symbols. Capitalization indicates size. For the colors: red for individual citizens, green for others (livestock, multitudes/"amalgamations", & any failed).

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: February 05, 2020, 10:31:45 am »

Thank you for adding new noble positions.

I'm guessing FIRE_SAFETY nobles will be more building inspector than firefighter; am I correct?

What will the MAINTAIN_ROADS/SEWERS/TUNNELS/BRIDGES nobles do? Just maintenance or travel network planning?

Will adding any of the new tokens to SITE and AS_NEEDED positions be a bad idea?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:40:52 am by Flying Teasets »
Not here at the moment

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2939 on: February 05, 2020, 11:02:46 am »

Speaking of noble positions.

There's a number of events in the legends.xml where it is kinda hard to tell what is going on. While .47.01 had some types missing (which right now look to be fixed, cheers!), there's also things like the new positions, where we can't tell what kind of new position so-and-so got, or for older stuff what kind of new job so-and-so got. Would these missing details need to go to the suggestion forum or to the bugtracker?

Edit: it seems https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3791 already covers most of these, so I guess that's answered somehow...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:10:41 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 389