Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851599 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2940 on: February 05, 2020, 10:05:40 pm »

Is there a way to make summoning not summon or only summon creatures of a specific creature class? If not, why not?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

boxxu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: February 06, 2020, 04:06:41 am »

I've been generating a lot of worlds in the new version, and I've been noticing that Dwarven civilizations are having a really hard time at sticking around,especially in longer histories. The new digging too deep and greedily events, Powerful necromancers and other civs having infinite lifespans seems to be really taking a toll. Are there any plans to buff dwarfs during world gen? Perhaps unique dwarven events that are positive?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: February 06, 2020, 05:12:06 am »

I've been generating a lot of worlds in the new version, and I've been noticing that Dwarven civilizations are having a really hard time at sticking around,especially in longer histories. The new digging too deep and greedily events, Powerful necromancers and other civs having infinite lifespans seems to be really taking a toll. Are there any plans to buff dwarfs during world gen? Perhaps unique dwarven events that are positive?

Dwarves are getting pulled into a lot of wars via the alliance system and subsquent beatdowns vs big-bads meaning that artifacts are being deployed (and occasionally lost) in world-generation battles* , even if there is rarely a peacetime long enough for their religious dispora to seed artifacts across the world and a large casualty rate making pockets of hillocks rather than kingdom's of Dwarves.
  • More of a question of when these events get rebalanced we should hopefully see the world as a bit more dynamic, or momentarily finding ways to prohibit dug-deep events from happening altogether in the current version by some modding means.
Dwarves are already quite strong but clowns are unfathombly testing for civs to fight, im not personally sure if buffing dwarves is a nessecary action, but improving worldgen combat-balance and keeping post-gen combat consistent will make the decline so steep.

*(i have a 200 dwarves to 20 clown casualty rate battle on one of my generated worlds where two artifacts were used in a detailed post  over on the 47.01 announcement thread)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 05:15:03 am by FantasticDorf »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: February 06, 2020, 05:30:17 am »

Is there a way to make summoning not summon or only summon creatures of a specific creature class? If not, why not?

Per the last set of answers:

For summons, for specific creatures, according to this code you should be able to send in "[CREATURE:<creature token>:<caste token>]".  Using "ALL" or "ANY" or "DEFAULT" for the caste token lets all of the castes in.  But you can't currently use this tag more than once per effect.  So you can do something at least, though it can be improved.  And there is not class support currently.  The flags usually refer to the creature/caste tokens that don't have arguments, and it supports about 180 of those for castes, which should be most of them, but doesn't include anything complicated that involves a number or string (like a class.)

I would guess that either Toady didn't add it yet because he didn't need it for the summoning interactions he wanted, or because it would take more time than he was willing to spend when he was already feeling crunched for time.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

AliceRed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: February 06, 2020, 10:01:28 am »

The new necromancer minions with magic abilities had me wondering - do you think in the future you might add a more magical alternative to the FBs, with crazier/more unnatural appearances like, say, a wheel covered in eyes like some accounts of biblical angels, with more magic based instead of biology based powers? Likewise, do you think depending on how magic is generated per world, that Demons could become even more of a threat - like, say, the classic wall strategies becoming useless due to Demons sometimes having the ability to teleport or become intangible? Just this small taste of magic is making me so giddy for the future!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: February 06, 2020, 10:16:33 am »

The new necromancer minions with magic abilities had me wondering - do you think in the future you might add a more magical alternative to the FBs, with crazier/more unnatural appearances like [SNIP]

Likewise, do you think depending on how magic is generated per world, that Demons could become even more of a threat - like, say, the classic wall strategies becoming useless due to Demons sometimes having the ability to teleport or become intangible? Just this small taste of magic is making me so giddy for the future!

Specifics outside of a broad range will probably warrant a 'Probably' or 'Hadnt thought about it' response from Toady. With the Magic arc there will be a wider variety of creatures humanoid and otherwise (with some generated examples) with the extent of magic powers (and how that originates & manifests). Players can also already add in pseudomagic interactions (dragons interact to breathe fire, there's also a nifty illusionist trick someone developed on modding forum), but adding them to FB's might be a specific question that can be greenied by itself or took to suggestions forum.

Devlog and previous FotF replies are also good places to source what Toady thinks the projective outlook of the Magic arc (quite a way away, ever stretching further)

Demons themselves are said to be subject to more controls in the future as to the conditions where they spawn and how the spawn, including certain conditions making them finite or least partially immortal (such as reincarnating back in the underworld or plane) but that'll probably run alongside what Toady's expressed plans on sliders & creation myths.
  • More demons with more power to them when the world combines the right factors definitely sounds threatening, while on another generation they might be semi-mortal and a bit more scaled back for whichever given in-world generated reason, such as being punished or starved of empowerment
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 10:18:29 am by FantasticDorf »

AliceRed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: February 06, 2020, 11:22:40 am »

Interesting, interesting! I almost wonder if, in some worlds, demons would end up closer to spirits or ghosts like some portrayals rather than tangible entities.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2947 on: February 06, 2020, 11:42:55 am »

Have you read any of the big threetoe stories? There is a recurring demon character who i think is really awesome and I hope the concept gets in the game. They are more like the usual demon portraly. An entity that tempts people and gives them powers for prices (eg their soul) and can teleport around and talk to people in their head (like a spirit) and speak through animals. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_story.html
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2948 on: February 06, 2020, 11:43:37 am »

Interesting, interesting! I almost wonder if, in some worlds, demons would end up closer to spirits or ghosts like some portrayals rather than tangible entities.
Meant to quote you above ^

If you havent i HIGHLY recommend it.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: February 06, 2020, 02:02:56 pm »

Is USAGE_HINT:MAJOR_BLESSING a thing, and if so, how can you make one happen to your adventurer?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:33:57 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: February 06, 2020, 03:41:13 pm »

Is USAGE_HINT:MAJOR_BLESSING a thing, and if so, where can you find it?

DF folder => Raw => Interaction Examples

If you have any more technical questions relating to files, or general gameplay stuff, DF Gameplay Questions or DF modding is a really great place to look for answers.

Most of the time, the questions Toady is best at is to do with devleopment & stuff players and forum-ite lurkers can't see behind the scenes like hidden descriptions or tokens without digging purposefully in string-dumps. Major blessing themselves happen whilst using divination dice with the [TOOL_USE:DIVINATION] tool token (and the faces to activate based on outcome, i suppose you could make a book that divinates you every time you read it by comparison)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 03:42:52 pm by FantasticDorf »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: February 07, 2020, 06:52:07 am »

They're asking where it shows up in game. It should also be noted that there is no major blessing in the interaction examples.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: February 07, 2020, 09:38:16 am »

I_EFFECT:CREATE_ITEM can't be used on CONTEXT_LOCATION, just CONTEXT_CREATURE, and even on creatures, it only creates the item at their feet, not in their hands. Is there a reason for this beyond you just didn't around to doing it?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: February 07, 2020, 10:05:20 am »

Is USAGE_HINT:MAJOR_BLESSING a thing, and if so, how can you make one happen to your adventurer?
Based on my findings, major_blessing is not a thing at all currently - and there really wouldn't be a mechanic for them to be granted, at the moment.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: February 07, 2020, 10:12:18 am »

Now that people can open the circus, will wee see adamantine artifacts during w.g ?
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 389