Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850350 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2955 on: February 07, 2020, 09:23:04 pm »

Now that people can open the circus, will wee see adamantine artifacts during w.g ?
No. At least not in the many, many worlds I've made since 47.01 hit.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2956 on: February 08, 2020, 03:10:57 am »

I just checked out the ingame manual again for once in a long while, and just noticed again the cool symbols you've got set and unused for magical items.

Will you still be using these particular symbols once magical items are properly introduced?
I mainly ask because this line has been in the manual for a very long time now, i think, and it would be super easy for anyone to forget! I was a little surprised in retrospect that books with strictly-magical secrets don't get those symbols yet, as they currently are.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: February 08, 2020, 04:22:10 am »

I just checked out the ingame manual again for once in a long while, and just noticed again the cool symbols you've got set and unused for magical items.
[snip]
I mainly ask because this line has been in the manual for a very long time now, i think, and it would be super easy for anyone to forget! I was a little surprised in retrospect that books with strictly-magical secrets don't get those symbols yet, as they currently are.

Well i imagine that Toady will have to make a bunch of other UI & AI responses to discriminate, there's also the distinction over whether a object is inheirently magical for a given reason (the sword was made this way), imbued with a magical improvement, or could be mundane with a magical property (like divination dice) that might need a whole new set of symbol configurations.

Putting your sword that catches fire when picked up in the middle of the stockpile of wooden swords (without stockpile settings) by accident for instance being a likely nessecity as to why its unused.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:24:09 am by FantasticDorf »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: February 08, 2020, 07:19:04 am »

Note that magical items will be introduced after the Premium arc (i.e. in the Myth & Magic one), and the Premium release is intended to replace the 8 bit character set currently used with a larger one for the character tileset (which will be included the non commercial DF version as well) if I understand it correctly, so the character selection(s) can presumably be made from a larger set when the time comes. Thus, I expect the decision to be made when it's needed.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: February 08, 2020, 12:03:17 pm »

@Shonai_Dweller : i noticed too ! Hence the "will" !

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2960 on: February 08, 2020, 01:48:05 pm »

The new interaction options offer up many fun possibilities for magical secrets and modding in "high fantasy" worlds, but as far as I can tell, they still seem to be heavily tied to necromancer towers.  I've tried adding teachable, researchable secrets that can be bestowed with minor/medium blessings in the hope that this would result in creatures being taught the secrets during worldgen and then spread them around by writing books or taking apprentices, but this doesn't seem to work; in the rare instance that someone acquires a non-necromancy secret from a slab, they rarely if ever write books or take apprentices, so the secret dies with them.  Is there any way of "seeding" the world with modded secrets in such a way that they will be spread around reliably in worldgen, without making them variants of necromancy?  And if not, are there any plans of making one before the next Big Wait?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: February 08, 2020, 09:05:05 pm »

Little while back, ThreeToe posted *We need your help with game ending stress*.  Has the feedback there been helpful at all?  Have you been able to investigate, if not actually work on, the root problems in the code of Dwarven psyche?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: February 08, 2020, 09:38:04 pm »

Yeah, but *will* can mean between now and 2050 in the current development schedule. So, "yeah, probably, no specific timeline" will be the only possible answer.

Toady mentioned not having gone into the subtleties of "what is adamantine" this time when it comes to circus breakthroughs, so I imagine nothing has changed yet.

I imagine stuff like if worldgen dwarves are allowed to make stuff from candy, then surely goblins unleashed through a big layer of candy will have access to it too. And should they know how to use it? And should they plot to kidnap and enslave dwarves who do? Will that be too much Fun to be attacked by a demon lead wave of candy-clad gobbos? And how about those humans who move into abandoned candy mines? And Kobolds? Lots to think about, hopefully see something, but not unexpected if we don't just yet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:43:03 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2963 on: February 09, 2020, 03:22:48 pm »

Looking through legends, I see a lot of histfigs failing at getting assets and eventually succeeding. How do histfigs gain the relevant skills in worldgen? Is it abstracted by them just gaining a lot more experience for each relevant action they take compared to the equivalent an adventurer or dwarf would need to do? Or do histfigs actually have to indicate they're practicing this skill?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 05:37:06 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: February 09, 2020, 04:33:25 pm »

Yeah, Shonay, it's more the reflexion of Toady i want to hear (read). More than the actual answer. So this is a perfect comment.

AliceRed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: February 09, 2020, 04:39:01 pm »

I noticed while obsessively pouring over your old Mythgen pictures that there's a few "secret" and "destroyed" cities as separate pips on the mythgen. If it's not too much of a problem, do you think you could explain how you envision these pips ideally manifesting via worldgen - could we say, find the lost ruins of an ancient mythgen era civilization, or could the hidden cities lead to hidden underground or jungle-bound societies? I'm curious how you envision such things!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: February 09, 2020, 06:59:24 pm »

I imagine stuff like if worldgen dwarves are allowed to make stuff from candy, then surely goblins unleashed through a big layer of candy will have access to it too. And should they know how to use it? And should they plot to kidnap and enslave dwarves who do? Will that be too much Fun to be attacked by a demon lead wave of candy-clad gobbos? And how about those humans who move into abandoned candy mines? And Kobolds? Lots to think about, hopefully see something, but not unexpected if we don't just yet.

Risking sounding boring and mundane, i might pipe up with the trivia that typically this kind of (scurry for newly discovered resource through the disaster, or disaster waiting to happen) can be typified for any kind of material carrying [DEEP_SPECIAL] as much as you might say that a certain amount of espionage, kidnappings, plots, post-siege looting or co-operation can mean that other [SECRET] tokened metals and inorganics like steel can end up elsewhere. ((detailed somewhere on the devleopment plan that is in more detail than mentioned))

I remember far back Toady talking about knowledge systems near the beggining of when he was working upon libraries, and that scholars would embark upon putting their new contraptions of which there were only a set number of discoveries that could be made in the world into use in fortress mode as well as guarding knowledge they had obtained already, things being lost and taken by force accounted for. Discoveries do happen as momentous events hailing the writing of a new book, like subjects on toxicology for medicine, but they have no mechanical meaning other than being good reading.
  • So to pipe up about some mentioned examples there's no feudal-cyberpunk gear-operated prosthetics (sourced from one of threetoe's stories, i believe short of the arm, migration, plots & religion has already delivered us there) or astrology tracking machines just yet. (i forget but its a named discovery subject)

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: February 10, 2020, 04:20:26 am »

Will SUMMON_UNIT interaction effects be getting special support for applying syndromes to the summoned creatures, like how the ANIMATE effect has? The new feature is really cool for modding, but the lack of that limits its potential :(

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: February 13, 2020, 08:14:55 pm »

Will the poor ability of dwarfs in making friends be tweaked before moving onto the Steam release?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: February 13, 2020, 08:22:12 pm »

Will the poor ability of dwarfs in making friends be tweaked before moving onto the Steam release?
Work is going to happen in parallel. There are lots of issues which need to be fixed as part of Steam development arc. This, most likely being one of them. So....no....and yes, depending on what you mean.
Are we likely to see an interim release with fixes for stress/friendship and so on during Steam development, or are we going to have to wait until everything is done?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:25:50 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 389