Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850217 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3000 on: February 25, 2020, 09:08:54 am »

The orientation token doesn't seem to affect affairs and the like from what I've seen in my worlds - got most civilized creatures set to be only interested in commited relationships, yet I still see people becoming lovers with someone while already married to someone else.

Got a question myself - what defines a creature as an experiment? By that I mean, the mutants created from the "horrible experiments" event type, with names like "Hand of Dastot" or "Eye of Urist". I've noticed [NIGHT_CREATURE_NIGHTMARE] is a token, but I didn't see something like [NIGHT_CREATURE_EXPERIMENT] or [NIGHT_CREATURE_MUTANT].
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:13:06 am by ZM5 »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: February 25, 2020, 11:45:00 pm »

Rumor is that the first ARM MacBook is coming out first half of 2021. Do you think ARM Macs will ever get builds of Dwarf Fortress?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3002 on: February 26, 2020, 02:11:53 am »

The orientation token doesn't seem to affect affairs and the like from what I've seen in my worlds - got most civilized creatures set to be only interested in commited relationships, yet I still see people becoming lovers with someone while already married to someone else.

Did you try modifying LUST_PROPENSITY?  Just a guess.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: February 26, 2020, 04:11:06 am »

1. Is it possible to create a custom experimental creature using non-procedurally generated interactions? The living night-creature type, not the ghoul type. I've looked into the raw examples but unless it's BOGEYMAN_POLYMORPH and I just don't understand how it works I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that.

2. How exactly is fear calculated? I've been running around in adventure mode and it seems that even hearthpeople and mercenaries will run away from larger monsters even if they're something my party could defeat? I guess it's not that important given I can control them manually now but I'm curious what factors go into threat assessment if there's any besides size and the discipline skill.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: February 26, 2020, 05:35:13 am »

The new aquifers are still confusing. The pre embark info displays Light (new trickle ones), Heavy (old, open pipe ones), and the odd "Varied" description, which, if I understand it correctly doesn't exist as an actual discreet aquifer variant. I've seen increasing the embark rectangle from one to two tiles covering one Light and one Heavy tile has resulted in "Varied", which makes sense, but there's also areas where single tile embarks are displayed as "Varied", which I guess could result from one Light layer and one Heavy layer, or from two biomes being present on the same single tile embark, with different kinds of aquifers on each part.
1. What is DF's definition of a "Varied" aquifer?
2. How does DF determine what type of aquifer(s) a tile will have (of interest to tool makers and world designers)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: February 26, 2020, 07:51:30 am »

Id say a mix of love and lust propensity, I have a dwarf who drifts between relationships through their job as a Tavern keeper and copious amounts of alcohol being in contact with very open and very drunk dwarves a lot. Though for the more conservative players its a pity there's no additional controls on a creature or entity level to encourage/discourage relationship couplings.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3006 on: February 26, 2020, 09:00:12 am »

Id say a mix of love and lust propensity, I have a dwarf who drifts between relationships through their job as a Tavern keeper and copious amounts of alcohol being in contact with very open and very drunk dwarves a lot. Though for the more conservative players its a pity there's no additional controls on a creature or entity level to encourage/discourage relationship couplings.
I still have to try the lust/love propensity edits out a bit more.

Eh, despite being fairly conservative myself I don't have much of an issue with cheating and the like being depicted since its just one of those bad things that happens regardless - my issue in this regard is with modded races that are known for being loyal still cheating, divorcing and having children out of wedlock at the same rates as races that don't care much for loyalty or love (I admittedly still don't entirely understand why loyalty is only a civ value, rather than also being a personality trait, but I digress) - comes across as jarring, to say the least.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: February 26, 2020, 12:32:45 pm »

Since my question was answered by intervening releases I send my (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1  ;).

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: February 28, 2020, 03:04:47 pm »

With the switch to graphics coming up in the steam release I have some questions regarding the graphical representation of creatures:
1. Will scars appear on creatures graphically and if so in the proper places? On a similar note will dismembered creature's sprites properly represent their lack of certain limbs?
2. With the main races at least(dwarves, humans, goblins and elves) there is a lot of physical description detail generated- how much of that will be represented on the sprite?
3. When it comes to generated races like escaped necromancer experiments will each generated combination have it's own sprite or will you generalize a sprite for escaped necromancer experiments in general?
4. When the myth and magic update finally comes around will magical corruption be represented on a creature's sprite? If so how detailed would the visual representation of the progression of this corruption be(referencing an old threetoe's story the dwarf who was cursed by elves slowly turned into a tree person starting with her hair)?

FrankVill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: February 28, 2020, 03:26:16 pm »

Whereas, within the animal kingdom, a dwarf is a mammal and a bird is an oviparous being ...
1) How does DF interpret the species "eagle man"?
2) At the time of having children, would they lay eggs or become pregnant?
3) Could there be different combinations (60% human, 40% eagle) for each created world? (I have mentioned the eagle man so far only as an example).
4) Are mythological creatures (such as dragons, forgotten beasts ...) somehow included in the animal hierarchy?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: February 28, 2020, 03:57:42 pm »

1) A humanoid body covered in feathers with an eagle's head, 2 arms, 2 legs (with talons on the feet,) and 2 wings.
2) They lay eggs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:05:02 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: February 28, 2020, 04:14:20 pm »

Whereas, within the animal kingdom, a dwarf is a mammal and a bird is an oviparous being ...
3) Could there be different combinations (60% human, 40% eagle) for each created world? (I have mentioned the eagle man so far only as an example).
4) Are mythological creatures (such as dragons, forgotten beasts ...) somehow included in the animal hierarchy?

1,2,3 :Animalmen aren't really hybrids between an animal and a human but rather anthropomorphized(wow that's a mouthful, huh?) animals. so all the biological characteristics that apply to their mundane counterparts also apply to the animalmen variants, in addition to being "intelligent" and "humanoid".
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3012 on: February 28, 2020, 08:19:09 pm »

I've been plumbing the depths of the material templates definitions and found these tokens in THREAD_PLANT_TEMPLATE:
Code: [Select]
[SHEAR_YIELD:600000] used cotton
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:600000] used cotton
Do you remember where you sourced these numbers? The only other materials defined in the raws that match these characteristics at first pale are things like steel and adamantine, and plant thread has precipitously low attributes in every other characteristic.
Is it a typo in the form of an extra 0, perhaps? I can imagine it might be due to the fact that every [SOFT] armor present in the game also has [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD] attached, which reduces both the values to a much more sane (if a bit meager) cap, which lends me to believe that those values were the intended ones for cloth materials.

I've mainly been mulling over this because I've had a hard time finding good sources concerning fabric resistance on the internet myself, and I've been trying to make a neat little mod to add in "gambesons" as armor types, but noticed that they were seriously over performing against all edged weapons if they were allowed to use the thread templates' default values.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3013 on: February 29, 2020, 04:48:14 pm »

Good question. Current Dwarf Fortress doesn’t really have any notion of what an animal is; it does have the [MUNDANE] creature token marking RL creatures, but it only affects the age name. By that merit dragons etc. are not animals, and humans are.

Looking forwards though, some implementation of it is clearly planned. After all, the mythgen demos had ”the animals” as an existing actor, distinct from primordial forces and the intelligent races. Considering the supposed variability of the mythgen system it would be nice seeing some worlds where certain ”mythological beings” e.g. dragons were considered a subcategory of animals. I don’t think they would always be, though.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: February 29, 2020, 05:00:09 pm »

Good question. Current Dwarf Fortress doesn’t really have any notion of what an animal is; it does have the [MUNDANE] creature token marking RL creatures, but it only affects the age name. By that merit dragons etc. are not animals, and humans are.

Looking forwards though, some implementation of it is clearly planned. After all, the mythgen demos had ”the animals” as an existing actor, distinct from primordial forces and the intelligent races. Considering the supposed variability of the mythgen system it would be nice seeing some worlds where certain ”mythological beings” e.g. dragons were considered a subcategory of animals. I don’t think they would always be, though.

Dragons are also [FANCIFUL] along with a handful of other creatures, in which without present examples to speak about or never existing in history they're known and distinct. The way the Mythological generator could possibly generate these can feasibly be different to mundane creatures with special mentions like a god taking careful attention in making them, or bronze collossi (not a animal but a animated being) being discarded nails used to forge the world granted life, or forgotten weapons of war for a heavenly battle in a alternative but still credible genesis story.

Stretch of your imagination kind of stuff alongside the kind of scenarios Toady might add.
  • Dragons particularly are subject to Toady's interests about adding subspecies with different abilities/looks/personalities to properly emulate fantasy conventions, with a bit of random generation or prefixture
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:42:19 pm by FantasticDorf »
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 389