Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850935 times)

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3030 on: March 03, 2020, 11:17:57 am »

I'm not sure - the one angle I can think of is creatures with spheres.  They should get the secret

I don’t think this is actually true.  Modding secrets and various megabeasts, demons, and other creatures with spheres and power and supernatural tags, they don’t actually ever write down or teach or use as bribes their secret knowledge or even ever seem to use their secrets to do anything, so I don’t think they get the secret knowledge at all.  Should this go in the bug tracker?  It might be a moot point, since the magic system will get reworked anyway after the steam premium release...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:20:04 am by Scruiser »
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

High_priest_of_Ru

• Bay Watcher
  • Sacrifice that you might - gain great power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: March 03, 2020, 01:33:03 pm »

Will you ever fix morale system in adventure mode, which currently forces most of NPC, including military and nobility, to run around aggressor and not respond the player's aggression with weapon?  Honestly, it makes almost impossible to fight someone in versions after 0.34. You can just start the game as peasant and come to the capital, trying to hit with bronze knife High lady-vampire with over 9000 victims and she with her dozens of retinue and military guards will just try to run from the player, leaving her throne and treasures to single psycho... Not to mention poor peaceful bandits, of course.
We all have a place among the divine. We have only to accept it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: March 03, 2020, 01:38:13 pm »

Will you ever fix morale system in adventure mode, [...]
Yes. Bugs will be fixed eventually.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

High_priest_of_Ru

• Bay Watcher
  • Sacrifice that you might - gain great power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: March 03, 2020, 01:42:35 pm »

Yes. Bugs will be fixed eventually.

There are 6 years already passed since 0.40 release with this morale system as single major bug in adventure mode.
Not to complain. I'm just asking will this mode will ever become playable again or remain casual and bugged as now)))
We all have a place among the divine. We have only to accept it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: March 03, 2020, 04:53:18 pm »

Will you ever fix morale system in adventure mode, which currently forces most of NPC, including military and nobility, to run around aggressor and not respond the player's aggression with weapon?  Honestly, it makes almost impossible to fight someone in versions after 0.34. You can just start the game as peasant and come to the capital, trying to hit with bronze knife High lady-vampire with over 9000 victims and she with her dozens of retinue and military guards will just try to run from the player, leaving her throne and treasures to single psycho... Not to mention poor peaceful bandits, of course.
A couple of posts above yours, Toady said the fear system should be fixed.
2. Yeah, you are definitely noticing a defect.  Everybody relevant in a fight feels terror (ie, not a ghost, not berserk, etc.), but the amount of terror is moderated by fearlessness and by the opposed strength of the sides.  But the strength calculation isn't great, and larger beings do get a bit of an advantage there.  It looks like the equipment/skill calc here is especially bad or even not happening at all - even the off-screen fights during raids do better equipment checks (which is good in a way, since it actually impacts the outcome there.)  Should certainly be improved to better account for party equipment/skill/rep, and enemy equipment/rep at least, if not skill once you test it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:55:46 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: March 03, 2020, 05:44:57 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady!
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: March 04, 2020, 11:52:31 am »

Are cave crocodiles based on the "sewer alligator" urban legends?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: March 04, 2020, 04:14:29 pm »

Or real cave crocodiles?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: March 04, 2020, 05:02:09 pm »

I don't play with graphics usually, but I always swap the curses tileset for a more pleasing to my eye ASCII-ish set (Taffer set usually) and a pleasant colour scheme that suits my monitor better than vanilla.

I assume there's a chance that Premium development is going to include big changes that will, for the first time, make even non-graphical tilesets no longer "plug-and-play" with the new release. Are you going to be releasing anything (whether a set of guidelines or a test version when the game is ready and started beta testing) for people who make such tilesets to get started on updating their sets, or am I going to have to switch to Curses if I want to play on day 1?

Yeah, I mean I'll buy the premium version anyway so will play the graphics version too of course, but I imagine I'll want to turn them off fairly soon. (At least in fortress mode anyway. Excited for non-crashing graphical Adventurer).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:09:11 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: March 05, 2020, 10:29:33 am »

Excellent as always.  Something that's been on my mind for a while now; Can you say how difficult it would be to add new world sizes?  I find 'Small' (65x65) is too small to support a high number of civs & interesting events, while Medium (129x129) gets super laggy after a mere ~200 years.  Maybe a 90x or 95x?
Can't you define these as you like in Advanced worldgen?
Oddly, no you can not.  If you enter a size outside the default parameters, it defaults to the closest one.

Edit: Was not aware you could mix the sizes of each axis.  Seems like a good workaround at least.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:31:50 am by Immortal-D »

alessar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: March 06, 2020, 06:26:44 am »

Hi guys! A question about necromancy, I have a world without towers (and Necromancer I suppose). Could that arise during fortress/adventure normal games in years?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: March 06, 2020, 06:51:36 am »

Hi guys! A question about necromancy, I have a world without towers (and Necromancer I suppose). Could that arise during fortress/adventure normal games in years?
Coloured that for you.

(At a guess, I'd say it's possible if you actually have a necromancer as it might be as simple as founding a regular site. Without them, hard to say).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:53:15 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: March 06, 2020, 09:44:06 pm »

Or real cave crocodiles?

Cool link, containing an interesting typo:

They look very close to the Dward Crocodile, (Osteolaemus tetraspis), however, they differ by several points.

Osteolaemus tetraspis
's correct name is the Dwarf Crocodile. So real cave crocodiles are descendants of the dwarves...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:50:54 pm by Pillbo »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: March 07, 2020, 12:25:33 am »

Or real cave crocodiles?
Those are neat, but their discovery post-dates the existence of cave crocodiles in DF by a few years.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: March 07, 2020, 12:37:07 am »

Or real cave crocodiles?
Those are neat, but their discovery post-dates the existence of cave crocodiles in DF by a few years.
Because Dwarf Fortress really happened...

--edit
Oh, you mean as a reason Toady couldn't have used them as inspiration. Well, yes, DF cave crocs are massive.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:39:58 am by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 389