Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851721 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3045 on: March 07, 2020, 03:52:49 pm »

Real cave crocodiles didn't exist until Toady wrote the raw/objects for them.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: March 07, 2020, 06:08:37 pm »

Has there been any talk about steam trading cards, custom chat emoticons, or profile backgrounds being available for the steam release?

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: March 08, 2020, 09:43:00 am »

How will images for procedural creatures be handled in the steam version?  The image would have to be assembled from different body parts of varying sizes.  Will we have just a generic procedural creature image?

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #3048 on: March 08, 2020, 03:39:11 pm »

How often do you take suggestions from the suggestions section into consideration?
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: March 08, 2020, 05:24:56 pm »

How often do you take suggestions from the suggestions section into consideration?
Depends on what you mean by "take into consideration".
- All suggestions are read.
- I assume interesting/good ones can result in notes being taken.
- I'd also assume suggestions relating to things that are to be addressed in a non trivial way are revisited.
- I wouldn't be surprised if reasonably simple ones might become candidates for parallel updates during the Big Wait and onward when the easy things planned and reasonably easy bug fixing has been done, but it will be some time before we get there.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: March 08, 2020, 05:46:38 pm »

Depends on what you mean by "take into consideration".
- All suggestions are read.
- I assume interesting/good ones can result in notes being taken.
- I'd also assume suggestions relating to things that are to be addressed in a non trivial way are revisited.
- I wouldn't be surprised if reasonably simple ones might become candidates for parallel updates during the Big Wait and onward when the easy things planned and reasonably easy bug fixing has been done, but it will be some time before we get there.
And (in case it's not obvious) there's no guarantee Toady will implement anything if it doesn't fit with his vision of the game.

How will images for procedural creatures be handled in the steam version?  The image would have to be assembled from different body parts of varying sizes.  Will we have just a generic procedural creature image?
In this thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173474.0
the tileset creators for the premium release have been discussing putting together different body parts to create the procedurally generated creatures. But last time it was mentioned, Toady hadn't started work on the new graphics functionality so exactly what was possible was unclear.

Hopefully we'll hear more by the end of the month if enough progress has been made.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 05:50:45 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: March 09, 2020, 02:35:19 am »

Are cave crocodiles based on the "sewer alligator" urban legends?
Or real cave crocodiles?
Those are neat, but their discovery post-dates the existence of cave crocodiles in DF by a few years.

...You know animals exist before they're discovered, yeah? They lived before 1400.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: March 09, 2020, 03:55:36 am »

Are cave crocodiles based on the "sewer alligator" urban legends?
Or real cave crocodiles?
Those are neat, but their discovery post-dates the existence of cave crocodiles in DF by a few years.

...You know animals exist before they're discovered, yeah? They lived before 1400.
I believe the statement was referring back to "did Toady base cave crocodiles on giant sewer alligators" to which the counter was "how about actual cave crocodiles?" to which this answer states that Dwarf Fortress predates the discovery of cave crocodiles (in 2008), therefore no.

Yeah, confused me too...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:58:14 am by Shonai_Dweller »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: March 09, 2020, 11:49:08 pm »

This would probably be better answer on the Kitfox Discord server, since they're the one mainly handling the Steam side of things.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: March 10, 2020, 01:27:06 am »

This would probably be better answer on the Kitfox Discord server, since they're the one mainly handling the Steam side of things.
Toady and only Toady is doing the coding (unless he gave up and called in help already). Kitfox are just publishing and paying the artists.

(Question mistakenly says "in the Steam version", but it means "once the new graphics functionality the game is getting has been added".)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:46:24 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: March 10, 2020, 02:25:18 am »

Toady and only Toady is doing the coding (unless he gave up and called in help already). Kitfox are just publishing and paying the artists.

(Question mistakenly says "in the Steam version", but it means "once the new graphics functionality the game is getting has been added".)
Premium isn't Steam, but:
- Commercial Premium: Premium with official graphics pack and some minor things. Planned to be available via Steam and Itch.io.
- Standard Premium: The same functional code as the Commercial version, but without the extras.
- Steam Premium: Commercial Premium via Steam. Same DF functionality as Commercial, but with Steam specific things (might be workshop, trading cards, achievements).
- Itch.io Premium: I don't know if that will exist, but expect it will, in which case it would be Commercial plus vendor specifics (might be workshop, trading cards, achievements, but presumably not compatible with the Steam implementations, as I'd expect Steam to make compatibility as difficult as possible for commercial reasons).

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: March 10, 2020, 03:11:49 am »

[...]

- Itch.io Premium: I don't know if that will exist, but expect it will, in which case it would be Commercial plus vendor specifics (might be workshop, trading cards, achievements, but presumably not compatible with the Steam implementations, as I'd expect Steam to make compatibility as difficult as possible for commercial reasons).

If you buy the game on itch.io, it's "Premium Dwarf Fortress" as with Steam, and to cover the lack of Steam Workshop access, they give you a Steam key as well.

Screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the sort of hardcore Grandmaster Waxworkers and Cheesemakers who read FotF replies in full, though, it's worth noting Toady gets more money from itch, but the free Steam key is different than a normal Steam key for reviews and promotion within Steam.

[Edit: Cheers to Bumber who fixed my link!]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 03:46:35 am by clinodev »
Team Bug Fix!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: March 10, 2020, 03:44:47 am »

Premium isn't Steam, but:
- Commercial Premium: Premium with official graphics pack and some minor things. Planned to be available via Steam and Itch.io.
- Standard Premium: The same functional code as the Commercial version, but without the extras.
- Steam Premium: Commercial Premium via Steam. Same DF functionality as Commercial, but with Steam specific things (might be workshop, trading cards, achievements).
Yes, regardless, how graphical body parts are put together to form procgen beasts is entirely Toady, not Kitfox. Because the game is the game regardless of where it is or what it's called.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: March 10, 2020, 11:19:43 pm »

Is that right? Releases on the site are gonna be like this, is classic gonna be done in parallel?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: March 10, 2020, 11:24:34 pm »

Is that right? Releases on the site are gonna be like this, is classic gonna be done in parallel?
It's the same game, so why not?
Steam gets you access to a tileset, music and workshop not some other game.

Having said that, that's not been confirmed yet. Other games with similar publishing patterns (Unreal World for example) release on Steam slightly earlier despite being the same product.

Would seem to make more sense not to do that for DF (at least after the initial Steam release) as players, generally ones on this forum, are the ones coming up with bug reports, but who knows. Perhaps Steam's beta version options are enough to keep things running smoothly).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:26:51 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 389