Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851237 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3060 on: March 11, 2020, 02:19:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
'
My bad, I mis quoated.
I meant this one:
Has there been any talk about steam trading cards, custom chat emoticons, or profile backgrounds being available for the steam release?
Which swould probably be better asked on the Kitfox Discord, because they're handling the steam release.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: March 11, 2020, 02:25:54 am »

Oh, yes. That makes much more sense.  :)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: March 11, 2020, 02:31:59 am »

Oh!
How long have the development notes been updated with Steam stuff? Maybe just haven't been paying enough attention lately...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: March 11, 2020, 02:57:08 am »

- Standard Premium: The same functional code as the Commercial version, but without the extras.

Is that right? Releases on the site are gonna be like this, is classic gonna be done in parallel?
Sorry, "Standard Premium" should have been called "Classic Premium", where Premium is the next major release, and the "prefix" is the way it's distributed.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: March 11, 2020, 04:39:46 am »

'
My bad, I mis quoated.
I meant this one:
Has there been any talk about steam trading cards, custom chat emoticons, or profile backgrounds being available for the steam release?
Which swould probably be better asked on the Kitfox Discord, because they're handling the steam release.

I assure you it wouldn't be. The answer would be "We'll have to see what Tarn wants to do!" based on that being their answer for the last year for things like this. Toady's already spoken on cards in the past, it's just been a year ago in the AMAs before he was giving starting Premium any serious thought and the other portions of the question are entirely new. Kitfox is almost completely in a supporting role to do what they can to make things easier for Toady at this stage. Kitfox might well be the ones who get art made for them, (although I'd personally be totally down with crayon reward style trading cards,) but it'll be his decision, so he's the one to ask.

Example trading card suggestion:
Team Bug Fix!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: March 11, 2020, 04:53:53 am »

Sorry if this has been asked before but are you planning to remove the restriction that dwarves need orthogonal access to construction sites in order to build there? They can already build diagonally, so it seems weird to require that they be able to stand orthogonally.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: March 11, 2020, 04:59:27 am »

Sorry if this has been asked before but are you planning to remove the restriction that dwarves need orthogonal access to construction sites in order to build there? They can already build diagonally, so it seems weird to require that they be able to stand orthogonally.
But does it make sense to build a wall through a diagonal gap with no other access?

Yes, it's not consistent, but making things consistent and removing the diagonal wall-building restriction is not the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 05:00:58 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: March 11, 2020, 05:20:24 am »

But does it make sense to build a wall through a diagonal gap with no other access?
If you can walk through diagonal gaps, then yes.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: March 11, 2020, 06:00:49 am »

If that becomes allowed, then the cave in system may need to be changed for diagonals to grant support. Otherwise if you designate a perimeter wall around a platform and they happen to decide to build the corner first, it will collapse.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: March 11, 2020, 07:43:43 am »

Alongside the graphics upgrade, will the Steam/Itch release include the relative size of creatures being visually displayed?  If not, is there any plans for when a Bronze Colossus and a baby duck will take up different amounts of visual space?  Not even being able to have a clear indication of how big my own character is in Adventure Mode is pretty silly.  At least displaying the Size numbers in-game would help.  As is I really have no idea how big a "giant" dingo is, especially relative to other animals, without checking the wiki.  Giant dingos (341k), grizzly bears (200k), giraffes (1,000k), giant cougars (633k), and rutherers (3,000k) are all described as "huge" and represented as a single letter on a tile, despite being EXTREMELY different in size!  Literally millions of size units of difference, all described and displayed the same.

This is very very misleading for how dangerous they are.  Someone thinking a "giant cougar" is the size of a bear (when it's more than three times the size) won't be able to fight it appropriately.  Literally anyone who doesn't assume a ruther's "huge" is fifty times the size of a dwarf, easily bigger than your entire militia, instead of the mere four or five times the size of a dwarf (like a bear's "huge") is not going to understand what's going on when they are getting destroyed by one they provoked, that is simultaneously small enough to chase dwarves through narrow tunnels but SO MASSIVE it can't be stopped by bridges.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:01:52 am by madpathmoth »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: March 11, 2020, 08:28:33 am »

Yeah, that would be nice. Even roughly. "Several times larger than a dwarf". "About twice the size of an elephant.". "Slightly smaller than a small cat". A simple addition that really would help. It's in the suggestion forum already, so no need to repost there.

(It's not really graphics related. The graphics won't ever be able to show you that a demon is several times larger than Giant elephant).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:30:31 am by Shonai_Dweller »

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: March 11, 2020, 08:42:35 am »

(It's not really graphics related. The graphics won't ever be able to show you that a demon is several times larger than Giant elephant).

I know currently it can't, but never?  Has Tarn said he's never going to implement characters taking up more than one tile?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: March 11, 2020, 08:45:18 am »

I know currently it can't, but never?  Has Tarn said he's never going to implement characters taking up more than one tile?
Ok, sorry, not "never". But certainly not in time for the Steam release. User friendly text to make the game easier to grasp is a much more feasible upgrade for at least the next decade or so.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:47:39 am by Shonai_Dweller »

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: March 11, 2020, 08:53:10 am »

Ah, thank you.  That answers my question; "if ever, not any time soon" is acceptable.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: March 11, 2020, 10:12:44 am »

Ah, thank you.  That answers my question; "if ever, not any time soon" is acceptable.

It's talked about here and there in the old DFtalks, things like climbing a giant to be able to reach and attack it's head and such. So it's planned, but it's quite a large undertaking and not likely to happen for quite a few years (probably some time after boats are added since they will be multi-tile moving things that'll most likely need a lot of the same systems to work as far as pathfinding etc goes, which'll supposedly be before or after the economy gets re-added).

Also, there'll be different sized creature graphics to some extent with the steam release, though not much more than letting some things stretch into adjacent tiles or slightly more for the largest of creatures (example).
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 389