Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850888 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3075 on: March 11, 2020, 02:00:11 pm »

As far as I understand it from the graphics thread, the sizes will basically be:
- Smaller than a dwarf
- About dwarf sized
- Larger than a dwarf
- Oversize
where the last ones extend a few pixels into adjacent tiles. That will probably remain until multi tile creatures are tackled, as mentioned.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: March 12, 2020, 02:20:24 am »

Double post, but a different issue:

The latest dev log (03/11/2020) is probably rather cryptic for those who haven't seen your lastest FotF replies (or possibly info in channels I haven't seen).
If I understand it correctly, you're aiming at having menus and other text one size (or more than one?) and game tiles another, to allow for the larger tiles that are in development without blowing up the size of the text. I guess it might also allow for graphics to be zoomed without affecting text?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3077 on: March 12, 2020, 03:38:52 am »

Kind of a big request, but it's been bothering me for a long time, and pretty much all of my attempts at science (particularly worldgen-related science) have turned up fruitless.  You did mention a few in your last reply, but a full explanation would be really handy.

Any chance of giving an explanation of each of the personality traits and values, both in gameplay and how they impact the unfolding of events in worldgen?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: March 12, 2020, 03:46:00 am »

Double post, but a different issue:

The latest dev log (03/11/2020) is probably rather cryptic for those who haven't seen your lastest FotF replies (or possibly info in channels I haven't seen).
If I understand it correctly, you're aiming at having menus and other text one size (or more than one?) and game tiles another, to allow for the larger tiles that are in development without blowing up the size of the text. I guess it might also allow for graphics to be zoomed without affecting text?
I think it was a bit cryptic for anyone except maybe the artists (and whoever else witnessed whatever happened today).
Looking forward to the "layman's explanation" Steam devblog update.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: March 12, 2020, 05:03:20 am »

Based on the "Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions" thread, one reason for different size tiles is to better show the world map.  I haven't heard of much discussion around menu changes yet.  The impression I got was that there would be another tweaking / bug fixing pass once the artists have more to work with before the menus / UI gets more focus.

We are currently discussing the worldmap. Since 32x32 is a bit large, the idea is to use 16x16 tiles for it, to show more map at a time.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3080 on: March 12, 2020, 05:35:23 am »

Based on the "Steam DF tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions" thread, one reason for different size tiles is to better show the world map.  I haven't heard of much discussion around menu changes yet.  The impression I got was that there would be another tweaking / bug fixing pass once the artists have more to work with before the menus / UI gets more focus.

We are currently discussing the worldmap. Since 32x32 is a bit large, the idea is to use 16x16 tiles for it, to show more map at a time.

Indeed, Meph confirmed this on reddit:
Quote from: Meph248
Differently sized grids: The game is set up in a grid of tiles. Those determine the sprite size. 32x32 for the ingame world right now; while the UI (text) and the worldmap use smaller sprites.
Identifiers: Toady wants to add a little utility that makes it easier to identify what a tile is showing. Many items in the game don't really have nice IDs. For example when I was working with TWBT, trying to figure how to assign a sprite to a bookcase, the ID was "B:UNK_V42_2:Bookcase::"

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: March 12, 2020, 02:52:34 pm »

Will the premium release allow entities to appear to move smoothly between tiles?
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: March 12, 2020, 09:34:48 pm »

Just listened to your interview on Literate Gamer. Very interesting.
https://literate-gamer.zencast.website/episodes/172

You mention that you may need to dial back zombie invasions because vanilla worlds invariably die 600 years in. That's fair enough I think.
But are you able to make that moddable at all? Like a slider of zombie aggression or something? I ask because I'm having the opposite issue in my own modded worlds and I think it's mostly a result of having a whole load of anti-zombie civs (pretty much everyone except goblins), some of which are way too powerful. I fear that necromancers who don't try as hard won't ever get a chance to build a decent patch of evil, let alone take over the world.

Sure, that's pretty much entirely my problem and I should balance everything else to give the necros more of a fighting chance, but was just wondering what potential options you might add are.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #3083 on: March 14, 2020, 07:32:30 am »

What tileset stuff will be possible in premium version, in comparison to what community can offer (TWBT, DFHack)? Would appreciate a table if you know at this point. If not, save this question for a future post.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:34:43 am by darkhog »
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: March 14, 2020, 09:41:18 am »

What tileset stuff will be possible in premium version, in comparison to what community can offer (TWBT, DFHack)? Would appreciate a table if you know at this point. If not, save this question for a future post.

It's the same game. Graphics functionality is being added. The only difference between paying and not is that you get a tileset which takes advantage of that functionality from day 1 (and music, Steam workshop, etc). Everyone will be able to work with the new graphics functionality for whatever they want to do.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3085 on: March 14, 2020, 10:24:18 am »

It's the same game. Graphics functionality is being added. The only difference between paying and not is that you get a tileset which takes advantage of that functionality from day 1 (and music, Steam workshop, etc). Everyone will be able to work with the new graphics functionality for whatever they want to do.

The question could as well be "What isn't currently possible using TWBT, but will be supported in vanilla when the premium release comes out?".

I'm not too well-versed in TWBT, but overlapping objects/creatures, "paper-doll" creature sprites, direction-based ramp-graphics, and sprites larger than the tile they occupy, I believe are all not supported by TWBT/new as of the premium release. I think all the ones I mentioned are confirmed, but there might be others that are up in the air until Toady gets to them coding-wise to see whether they're plausible.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: March 14, 2020, 10:48:10 am »

The literate gamer podcast was very enlightening to the future of the game and helpful in aligning our questions I agree with Shonai.

A picqued bit i noticed, is that child-care got a unexpected special mention or rather the erm, lack of non-motherly child care/maternal instincts to direct the babies away from throwing them into spartan like dog-pit regimes until they grow to adulthood tooth & nail or try to deliberately/'accidentally' commit infanticide around large areas with spikes.

With kidnapping plots, people retrieval missions and insinuated possible places to drop off your babies like the kobold egg lair, will this likely create a kind of sub-focus target for villianous behaviours? Stealing someone's child to exort their parents later etc.

There's that i understand a considerable wealth of community suggestions made out of interest on the topic. Besides some likely faults when it comes to pass like does the dwarf carry away eggs, drag behind itself non-baby like larvae grub, or carry a baby that is 10x the dwarf's current size like a elephant-person? But those are mostly abtract things.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:59:30 am by FantasticDorf »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3087 on: March 14, 2020, 11:25:45 am »

Stealing someone's child to exort their parents later etc.
This already has a little basis in the legends, histfigs can request ransom for a kidnapped figure. It's not quite blackmail, but it's there...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: March 14, 2020, 11:55:18 am »

If you drain water into the underworld and make mud, cave moss grows in it. You can also grow crops too. However, trees and plants will never grow, even if you mod them to give them the same layer tokens as demons. How come? Is this just an edge case you never expected, or is it intended?

gregdaweson7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: March 14, 2020, 08:05:46 pm »

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong, it's my first post.

Will there ever be any big repercussions for killing off nobles, like investigation or punishment by the player civ.

Will there ever be any use for ruler type nobles like the barron? a political system? Things like embargos, tariffs, military aid and treaties with stipulations other than the elve's tree quotas.

Currently, there isn't much of a reason to keep many of the nobles around and I just want to know if there will be in the future.

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 389