Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2906363 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3090 on: March 14, 2020, 08:59:30 pm »

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong, it's my first post.

Will there ever be any big repercussions for killing off nobles, like investigation or punishment by the player civ.

Will there ever be any use for ruler type nobles like the barron? a political system? Things like embargos, tariffs, military aid and treaties with stipulations other than the elve's tree quotas.

Currently, there isn't much of a reason to keep many of the nobles around and I just want to know if there will be in the future.

The big development arc planned after Mythgen is on society, politics, your fortress' (and other site's) purpose in the world. It'll be addressed then. Although that's still several years off yet, so specifically what will be addressed is probably not yet clear

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: March 15, 2020, 02:50:21 am »

If you drain water into the underworld and make mud, cave moss grows in it. You can also grow crops too. However, trees and plants will never grow, even if you mod them to give them the same layer tokens as demons. How come? Is this just an edge case you never expected, or is it intended?
You may have noted that while breaching caverns allows the plants to spread to muddy/soil in your fortress, they never spread to other caverns, i.e. caverns are locked to support only the plants "native" to them in the wild. If you look at the underworld, you'll note that it does not have any mud, and so does not provide any support for native plant life. The first part is a technical quirk of DF, while the second is a logical argument which may or may not match Toady's thoughts.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: March 15, 2020, 03:42:45 am »

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong, it's my first post.

Will there ever be any big repercussions for killing off nobles, like investigation or punishment by the player civ.

Will there ever be any use for ruler type nobles like the barron? a political system? Things like embargos, tariffs, military aid and treaties with stipulations other than the elve's tree quotas.

Currently, there isn't much of a reason to keep many of the nobles around and I just want to know if there will be in the future.

Some of these are easy enough to address that political matters outside your fortress are pretty much only to do with 'relation hits' if there is a witness or absence of them coming back. Its not the best, barons of your own are meant to do more regarding hill-dwarves and a few bugs like the low frequency of hillocks settling near you & other economic sites like pits, hamlets & tree-retreats settling near you in large numbers that 0% respect the barons authority to turn over their land or workers kind of make the system further redundant.

Later in the game site leaders (your landowner noble, mayor or expedition leader depending on settlement status) can hold meetings & recieve diplomats to sort out tree quotas, peace deals petitions & trade agreements, so i can't really know if your personal experience of playing is that progressed or if your question is 'more of that kind of stuff'.
  • Toady has previously expressed he isn't thrilled with the archaic state of outpost -> metropolis system, and hopes to address the 'direction' of each fort founded by fort-scenarios so you could alternatively start as a temple with a subset of buildings etc & pilgrim monks then progress to the end tier and be respected as such in the world. Or a prison colony, etc etc, a lot of it was discussed in the latter half of the literate-gamer podcast

More into it may be seen in the 'Law Arc' which will a expansion upon the politics of the world and requires some consistuent parts for least after 'The Big-Wait' to go ahead before some basic stuff Toady might be able to pull off before then into magic & the map re-write to overhaul the old world-generation & map code.
  • Notable mentioned examples on the podcast which he has discussed before, include visualisers for offsite activities as per Army Arc for peace + war so you can helplessly watch your diplomats insult elves then be siezed by guards & addressing the gameplay loop to make invaders locked outside way-out-of-the-way have more disruptive behaviours. etc.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: March 17, 2020, 07:01:50 pm »

Edited to remove background details which might be confused for suggestions.

How are you planning to tackle the necromancer visitors bug? Just removing them altogether or by fixing the game-breaking parts of their behaviour and still allowing them to visit? (Secretly or otherwise, not sure if their openness is a separate bug).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:36:47 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: March 17, 2020, 08:03:33 pm »

I know you've said in the past that it's a bug,

[...]

However, all that said, it's a whole lot of fun. Are you really going to remove it "because it's a bug" and rely on players creating necromancers the old fashioned way with adventurers and books planted in the library? Because it seems it just needs a small amount of brushing up to be a usable feature.

Off the top of my head, rarer necromancer visitors, the dangerous loyalty issue of invaders and animals and maybe have necromancers take away the undead who haven't petitioned to join the fortress (they do that) when they leave and you could call it done (at least until Mythgen rewrite of course).

Much like stress problems, necromancer visitors are less "interesting" for those of us who play vanilla games with unmodded dwarves. Necromancers and intelligent undead taking over forts and then turning on the fortress as a result of a tavern scuffle is a regular topic of concern.

Perhaps you could just make a necromancer mod and offer it to those who are interested, rather than petitioning to keep game breaking bugs?

Regardless, I think perhaps you meant to post this in Suggestions. It's clearly not a FotF question, as you admit in the first line you already know it's been answered.
Team Bug Fix!

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: March 17, 2020, 08:47:30 pm »

Much like stress problems, necromancer visitors are less "interesting" for those of us who play vanilla games with unmodded dwarves. Necromancers and intelligent undead taking over forts and then turning on the fortress as a result of a tavern scuffle is a regular topic of concern.

Perhaps you could just make a necromancer mod and offer it to those who are interested, rather than petitioning to keep game breaking bugs?

Regardless, I think perhaps you meant to post this in Suggestions. It's clearly not a FotF question, as you admit in the first line you already know it's been answered.

I see Shonai's question as questioning whether its really is a game breaking bug or if it might possibly be an unintended feature, it could definitely use tuning but making it impossible for necromancers to visit at all could be seen as an over correction, DF is a fantasy world simulator and outright forbidding necromancers from being able to visit at all seems like an arcade/gamey thing that I personally dislike.

IMHO the reason DF is great is because its take a simulationist approach not an gamist based one, but I think that Arma is a better FPS then CoD or Battlefield so I'm biased.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:57:27 pm by JesterHell696 »
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: March 17, 2020, 08:57:47 pm »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:37:46 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: March 17, 2020, 09:01:38 pm »

I think perhaps you meant to post this in Suggestions.

This. There's no point steering newbies in the right direction if regulars ignore the Suggestions forum. It seems that a reply from Toady, even a vague and non-committal one, is just too seductive an affirmation.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: March 17, 2020, 09:10:11 pm »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:38:03 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: March 17, 2020, 09:17:29 pm »

Must have been my imagination.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: March 17, 2020, 10:33:40 pm »

Fine, not even sure what a "seductive affirmation" from Toady might look like (or why he wouldn't be allowed to do one) but I'll edit the above to a more straightforward question.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: March 18, 2020, 12:51:09 am »

How are you planning to tackle the necromancer visitors bug? Just removing them altogether or by fixing the game-breaking parts of their behaviour and still allowing them to visit? (Secretly or otherwise, not sure if their openness is a separate bug).

I for one think necromancers visiting secretly would be pretty cool, to share my opinion on such a thing. Could perhaps work them to covertly steal bodies from fortress tombs and crypts in the future, or something similar.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: March 18, 2020, 10:57:05 pm »

I for one think necromancers visiting secretly would be pretty cool, to share my opinion on such a thing. Could perhaps work them to covertly steal bodies from fortress tombs and crypts in the future, or something similar.

Now that sounds like a good idea
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: March 19, 2020, 02:39:17 pm »

Current events have got me thinking...

Are pathogens (apart from werebeasts) part of the roadmap? Have they ever been considered?

Seems highly interesting both mechanically and thematically. Pathogens could mutate randomly, altering a variety of straightforward statistics, e.g. what species they effect and how severely, mechanisms of spread (e.g. blood, prepared meals, shared mugs/goblets, close contact [e.g. having a conversation, meeting, dance, training, etc.], etc.), symptoms (e.g. personality/behavior changes, physical injuries, even beneficial traits, etc.).

Granted, this would be another thing that could just wipe out entire species/civilizations in world gen, making for somewhat less interesting worlds to play in. Though, containing a viral outbreak within your fort could provide a pretty darn interesting challenge in Fortress Mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: March 19, 2020, 06:05:39 pm »

Current events have got me thinking...

Are pathogens (apart from werebeasts) part of the roadmap? Have they ever been considered?

Seems highly interesting both mechanically and thematically. Pathogens could mutate randomly, altering a variety of straightforward statistics, e.g. what species they effect and how severely, mechanisms of spread (e.g. blood, prepared meals, shared mugs/goblets, close contact [e.g. having a conversation, meeting, dance, training, etc.], etc.), symptoms (e.g. personality/behavior changes, physical injuries, even beneficial traits, etc.).

Granted, this would be another thing that could just wipe out entire species/civilizations in world gen, making for somewhat less interesting worlds to play in. Though, containing a viral outbreak within your fort could provide a pretty darn interesting challenge in Fortress Mode.
Disease and plague are mentioned in the Dev notes a few times yes. Especially in the larger version with the far off plans.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html

Although gods smiting the land with plagues would be a fairly reasonable thing for Mythgen, I guess along with the natural disasters previously mentioned.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 391