Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850566 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3150 on: April 09, 2020, 03:12:56 am »

It would make sense for the map rewrite to lay the groundwork for terraforming activities (natural and supernatural), but I wouldn't expect fortress usage of it to be the top priority for what's going to be implemented in the first passes.
Moving soil to build up mounds and fill up holes makes sense, while solid rock, glass, metal, etc. would either require magic or some extension of the obsidian casting method. In principle it should be possible to fill out a volume with shattered rock, but the current DF abstraction of rock "boulders" clashes with the real world pile of chunks of varying sizes, which might require a change of the DF implementation that might not be good for the normal game play situations.

MalroktheIII

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: April 10, 2020, 11:38:42 pm »

I don’t know how relevant these are to the army update (or how many times these have been asked), but:

1 Will we actually be able to domesticate animals on a civilization wide level?

2 If we can, will enemy exotic mounts and war animals be more common?

3 Will our dwarves be able to use mounts?

4 Going a bit further ahead, will magical procgen tamable animals and mounts exist with the magic update?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: April 11, 2020, 01:44:06 am »

I don’t know how relevant these are to the army update (or how many times these have been asked), but:

4 Going a bit further ahead, will magical procgen tamable animals and mounts exist with the magic update?

1. I see no connection to planned activities here. It's logical as a long term goal, though.
4. Logically yes, if you use the liberal interpretation of "with the magic update" to mean "enabled by the Myth & Magic work". It's highly unlikely this would make it in the competition for features in the first Myth & Magic release arc, though.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: April 11, 2020, 02:34:26 am »

3. While mounted combat is already in Fortress Mode (I was attacked by horse-mounted dwarves just recently), actual management of a player's Fortress Mode cavalry would be a pretty big upgrade as it implies stables, training areas, new tactics and AI (get on horse, charge, attack, get off horse lead horse to stable - it's much easier for invaders who already start mounted).

So, there is time scheduled after Steam for better sieges, but I expect it mostly be focussed on better enemy AI (and perhaps some improvement to crossbow dorf life expectancy if we're lucky).

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3154 on: April 11, 2020, 05:36:45 am »

Domestication is something that weirdly enough won't be tackled for a very long time. The prime reason it didn't get in into the last animal taming pass is because entities (civs) don't understand how to update their available resources (the available creatures on the embark screen in this case). This is also one of the big things that is necessary for the economy. And an entity rewrite, which would include making them a little smarter about this, isn't planned until after the myth and magic stuff has settled a little. So we'll see exotic magic procgen beasties before we'll see full domestication of them.

The army stuff is sure going to change the way people play. Not just the potential digging, but also the standing armies. Not to mention actually doing stuff with the mercenary companies... And all that just to keep things interesting... Though the villains stuff really does need polishing.

- Right now infiltrators have a very easy time flipping dwarves. In legends mode I often see that friends try to prevent position holders from becoming corrupt. Do you think the easy flipping is because dwarves are really bad at making friends still, or is it because of missing features?
- Will the digging invaders (if they get in) be on all armies like climbing is?
- Given the map rewrite is going to lead to various bits of DF understanding 3d better, do you think flier pathing is also going to improve?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3155 on: April 11, 2020, 05:48:48 am »

I imagine exactly what will be included in the army arc has not been decided upon yet, though the development page has some outlines. At some point these kinds of questions are better fit for the suggestions forum.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: April 11, 2020, 05:50:33 am »

I'd expect digging invaders to have to use picks to dig with (it would be cool with suitable critters digging with their claws, but that's probably tricky), in which case we'd have to exclude monster attacks (although giants have the smarts to use picks...), weres, and necro sieges without intelligent undead. However, necros can build towers using regular undead as their work force, so maybe they'd be able to order zombies to use picks as well?

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: April 12, 2020, 07:48:47 pm »

Is there a reason for the absence (if the DF wiki is to be believed) of giant and animal people versions of the domestic creatures (chickens, ducks, goats, geese, etc.)? And if so, is that reason one of design (so they won't be added later), or of convenience (there was some difficulty, but they will be added at some (presumably unspecified) later date)? I know it's a bit of a silly question, but I was listening to old DF talks and in episode 10, you talk about the addition of chickens and how there must be giant chickens as well at that point.

Quote from: DF talk 10 transcript
Capntastic:   Do you have chickens now man?
Toady:   Yeah. Chickens. And enlarged chickens. I guess it's kind of obligatory that we put giant chickens in the game, we have some other giant animals, you can have giant chickens. We need a Night of the Lepus or whatever the rabbit movie with giant rabbits ... giant chickens. And we'll have giant pigs.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: April 12, 2020, 07:52:48 pm »

Is there a reason for the absence (if the DF wiki is to be believed) of giant and animal people versions of the domestic creatures (chickens, ducks, goats, geese, etc.)? And if so, is that reason one of design (so they won't be added later), or of convenience (there was some difficulty, but they will be added at some (presumably unspecified) later date)? I know it's a bit of a silly question, but I was listening to old DF talks and in episode 10, you talk about the addition of chickens and how there must be giant chickens as well at that point.

Toady:   Yeah. Chickens. And enlarged chickens. I guess it's kind of obligatory that we put giant chickens in the game, we have some other giant animals, you can have giant chickens. We need a Night of the Lepus or whatever the rabbit movie with giant rabbits ... giant chickens. And we'll have giant pigs.
Domestic animals currently don't have biomes, so they don't appear in the wild, so giant and animal person versions wouldn't appear even if they were in the game.

Because what biome is "domestic chicken" after all?
Hopefully will be a thing someday.

(There are, sadly, no giant chickens in the raws currently).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:16:48 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: April 12, 2020, 08:56:15 pm »

Maybe plains, if we assume they escaped from a human settlement.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: April 12, 2020, 08:58:00 pm »

Geese certainly seem like they should show up in the wild. And just imagine the terror of meeting a giant goose in the wilderness!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: April 12, 2020, 09:17:13 pm »

Maybe plains, if we assume they escaped from a human settlement.
Humans settle in mountains, jungles, swamps and deserts too.
Much better to add a mechanic to have them adopt their local biome and start breeding wildly after escaping than set a fixed biome. Which is probably why it hasn't been done yet. It's not as simple as polar bear=someplace cold.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:20:20 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: April 12, 2020, 11:51:25 pm »

Domestic animals currently don't have biomes, so they don't appear in the wild, so giant and animal person versions wouldn't appear even if they were in the game.

It is false that domestic animals sui generis don't have biomes.  From the wiki page on turkeys:
"Turkeys are a species of domesticated creature who can be brought on embark or found in the wild, inhabiting temperate wetlands."
And this is experience I have had in the game, having encountered several domestic animals in their wild versions.
I'm surprised you have never seen this!

Whatever the answer is to the question, it is not this...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: April 13, 2020, 12:29:24 am »

It is false that domestic animals sui generis don't have biomes.  From the wiki page on turkeys:
"Turkeys are a species of domesticated creature who can be brought on embark or found in the wild, inhabiting temperate wetlands."
And this is experience I have had in the game, having encountered several domestic animals in their wild versions.

What is cat's biome? It doesn't have one. Open up the raws, read for yourself. How many wild cats have you encountered, none, right?
Turkey, peafowl and rabbit are the only animals in creature_domestic with biomes.

So, yes, for consistency, giant turkeys and bunny girls should be roaming the countryside and would be able to if they were added.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:37:29 am by Shonai_Dweller »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: April 13, 2020, 01:11:38 am »

What is cat's biome? It doesn't have one. Open up the raws, read for yourself. How many wild cats have you encountered, none, right?
Turkey, peafowl and rabbit are the only animals in creature_domestic with biomes.

So, yes, for consistency, giant turkeys and bunny girls should be roaming the countryside and would be able to if they were added.

Wrong again.  Seen ducks in the wild (in game).  And the wiki confirms it.  Also seen many others like water buffalos, yaks, (one of) alpacas/lamas - always mix them up , and so on. 

That a few domestic creatures lack a biome is frankly irrelevant here since I didn't say all domestic creatures have biomes but merely that the reason for the non-appearance of giant and animal people versions of the domestic creatures was not because of a lack of biome.  (Happy to be corrected if anyone has seen giant turkeys or duck-men in game.   ;) )
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 389