Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2919725 times)

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3165 on: April 13, 2020, 05:10:21 am »

Hah, did not expect this much discussion to follow my question. Well, ultimately the domestic animals all do come from nature, even if some of them may have evolved a bit since humans domesticated them (dogs being the most obvious example there, but others as well). So presumably it should be possible to find them in the wild. Even cats have wild counterparts in real life, and I for one think it would be very cool to find wildcats on some embark.

Anyway, if it still is the case that some of them not occurring in the wild would be the reason for them not having giant/animal people varieties, then I guess my question could become, will they appear in the wild later (and then be given those varieties)? And of course, for those that do already appear in the wild, my original question could hold.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:58:12 am by Whatsifsowhatsit »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: April 13, 2020, 12:49:55 pm »

Cats in the wild might risk a serious catsplosion in world gen which could be problematic.  I'm not sure how huge populations of off site critters are handled.  But embarking on such an epicenter of cats would surely be an issue.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: April 14, 2020, 04:02:05 am »

The dwarves finally crest the hill that blocks the way to the valley they are to build the fortress in,  but when they see it, its not the valley the were seeking but an ocean of cats that stretched on for many miles and the sounds coming from it were unimaginable and the dwarves could only imagine that this was what the HFS sounds like.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: April 17, 2020, 08:43:58 am »

Cats in the wild might risk a serious catsplosion in world gen which could be problematic.  I'm not sure how huge populations of off site critters are handled.  But embarking on such an epicenter of cats would surely be an issue.
Well, presumably this could be balanced a bit better than it was in the past. Also, the issue with catsplosions in the fort I think is that they are people's pets and so cannot be slaughtered without upsetting a lot of dwarves, but wild cats shouldn't be people's pets anyway, so I don't think they should be more of a problem than other types of wildlife.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: April 17, 2020, 12:14:22 pm »

I think just about all of us use stairwells. And our dwarfs happily push wheelbarrows up and down them. I've tried this in real life and it's not quite as easy as it is for the dwarfs!  Any plan to encourage the use of ramps by making stairs very difficult for wheelbarrows?
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

AnarchCassius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: April 17, 2020, 02:05:51 pm »

Not exactly. I've made dozens of worlds in the past few days to test creature distribution and aside from the handful who get tamed, join civilizations or become historic monsters there seems to be absolutely no changes in the overall populations of non-civilized species during worldgen. Numbers are the same range at 5 years and 250 years, which is notably not the case for civilized species.

Now once the game starts they do seem to change during off-site stuff and the worldgen could change with the new world generator (and it would be nice if it did), but as is, during worldgen at least, this wouldn't be an issue.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: April 18, 2020, 05:40:19 am »

What exotic pets may be pack animals? Why they don't in current version?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: April 18, 2020, 03:50:53 pm »

Where will the signs be for non-rectangle stockpiles? Will discontinuous stockpiles have more than one sign? Will stockpiles with sections removed still have a fence around the new perimeter? Will adjacent stockpiles have zero, one, or two fences between them? How will it look if I checker my stockpiles? (this is useful to get around the wheelbarrow limit for rock stockpiles).

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: April 21, 2020, 10:06:54 pm »

Can we expect sentient wild populations (like animal-people and satyrs) to be more fleshed-out later in the development cycle?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

MCipher

• Bay Watcher
  • The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: April 21, 2020, 10:13:56 pm »

This is my first time posting to FotF, so sorry if I mess something up, eheh...

What are the chances that there will be features pertaining to the end of the world in the Myth release? For instance, say the creation myth foretells of a time when a legendary monster consumes the world, or in a world that’s an un-hatched cosmic egg, a certain condition causes the egg to hatch, ending the world as we know it? And, as an extension of this question, would this post-end world be playable, a la FF6, or would it force the world into a ‘legends-only’ situation?
No longer at critical sig mass!
OOC: Hans Panda: Everyone's going to die. That's how they usually end.
OOC: Hans Panda: I try not to run them that way.
OOC: Hans Panda: But apparently when I'm the villain, I'm too efficient.
OOC: Hans Panda: Even when I monologue.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: April 21, 2020, 10:29:23 pm »

Can we expect sentient wild populations (like animal-people and satyrs) to be more fleshed-out later in the development cycle?
Not at all in this development cycle.
Later though, yes. Vague predictions of origins being fleshed out during Mythgen and perhaps more interesting societies in the society arc after that have been made.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:36:30 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: April 21, 2020, 10:33:30 pm »

This is my first time posting to FotF, so sorry if I mess something up, eheh...

What are the chances that there will be features pertaining to the end of the world in the Myth release? For instance, say the creation myth foretells of a time when a legendary monster consumes the world, or in a world that’s an un-hatched cosmic egg, a certain condition causes the egg to hatch, ending the world as we know it? And, as an extension of this question, would this post-end world be playable, a la FF6, or would it force the world into a ‘legends-only’ situation?
(Based on previous fotf replies as I recall them, not copy/paste):
Yes, world ending, or close enough apocalyptic events become possible with the map rewrite and so may be seen early in the Mythgen cycle. Prophets will also be used to predict oncoming disasters rather than just spouting random stuff like they do now.

The creation myth itself probably won't foretell anything though. It's called "Myth"gen, but it mainly deals with generating the actual creation of the world and all it's beings along with linking them logically to magic systems. So all stuff which happens before history generation (as we know it now) starts.

One interesting goal of Mythgen is for the player (and the world's villains) to effect actual change to the world. So even if a god is planning to hurl a fiery mountain at the land in the summer of 256 the player can manage to stop that from happening.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:39:48 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: April 22, 2020, 04:14:19 am »

Sorry if I'm breaking any rules, I'm new to this forum...

How long is the development expected to last, and will it continue developing once it reaches full version?
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3178 on: April 22, 2020, 04:18:55 am »

You're not breaking any rules, but the question has been asked and answered quite often: At the least another decade before 1.0 and yes, continuing development afterwards is also planned. A more honest answer is to say continued development until there's no more interesting things to add :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: April 22, 2020, 04:21:50 am »

I believe the plan is for Toady to keep working on DF until he dies.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 391