Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851177 times)

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3180 on: April 22, 2020, 04:26:26 am »

I believe the plan is for Toady to keep working on DF until he dies.
And what happens after? Would development stop or will someone inherit?
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: April 22, 2020, 04:28:20 am »

And what happens after? Would development stop or will someone inherit?
I think it's been said somewhere that the code will be open-sourced if he peacefully passes away. Not sure where though...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: April 22, 2020, 04:39:35 am »

Even the next few "decided" development arcs (subject to change at any time of course) have enough in them for another decade if not more of development (at the current pace).
Steam probably out 1Q 2021
Rest of 2021 to clean up Steam and finish off villains and improved Sieges (assuming improved Sieges isn't an 18 month rabbit hole in itself).
Big Wait, Myth Gen releases 2-3 years for the first, clean up, probably one or two more, so another a couple of years.
Law & Politics arc (starting scenarios). Same as Mythgen.
Moving Fortress Parts. Same again.

That's a good 15 years of work.
Oh gotta focus on the Economy at some point too. A whole new arc? Probably...

You get the idea.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3183 on: April 22, 2020, 05:05:49 am »

I think just about all of us use stairwells. And our dwarfs happily push wheelbarrows up and down them. I've tried this in real life and it's not quite as easy as it is for the dwarfs!  Any plan to encourage the use of ramps by making stairs very difficult for wheelbarrows?
”Questions” of this kind belong in the Suggestions sub-forum ;)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: April 22, 2020, 08:31:25 am »

He'll never die, He is the Toad Emperor of Dwarfkind.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 06:51:59 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: April 23, 2020, 01:43:58 am »

Actually, since the UI reshaping and new graphics etc. has been added, i have never been so optimistic about the future of Dwarf Fortress. So, yeah, 15 years and more of developping ! ☼Game of a life☼ !

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: April 23, 2020, 02:32:51 am »

Am I the only one who's not very excited for the Steam version? I mean I'll buy it just to support Toady more, but I'm so used to ASCII and the cruddy interface that I don't want to learn it again.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: April 23, 2020, 02:36:13 am »

I'll be happy to be able to use square ascii for the tiles and non-square for the interface, at least.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: April 23, 2020, 04:23:28 am »

Am I the only one who's not very excited for the Steam version? I mean I'll buy it just to support Toady more, but I'm so used to ASCII and the cruddy interface that I don't want to learn it again.
No need to learn graphics. Just play with an ascii tileset as you've always done. One which comes with the game, another one, whatever you like. That's kind of the point of having a customizable game.

Now the interface, yeah, will have to wait and see what's going to happen there. Not sure if retro-fitting the old version will be an option.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: April 23, 2020, 04:42:44 am »

Also if you're buying to support toady, buy the itch.io version. Steam takes a huge chunk out of the purchase price.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3190 on: April 23, 2020, 04:49:08 am »

I dunno, I'll sure be happy to have a unified inventory in adventure mode (Right now the inventory is verb-first, meaning the functionality is separated over w, i, I, r, d, p, x, e, and t). I just keep pressing the wrong button. Similarly for the v, t, and l buttons in fort mode.

I mean, there's no indication that these will be tackled, but they're pretty obvious candidates, so my hopes are high.

Steam tends to get in more revenue on the basis that it is has a much better payment system if you're not an American, so I wouldn't worry too hard where you buy.

EDIT: oh, I am somewhat excited for next week now. A good pixel art world map is always a boon, and the DF worldmap tends to get the short end of the stick in most graphic packs for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:56:02 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: April 24, 2020, 04:39:27 am »

Similarly for the v, t, and l buttons in fort mode.

Yeah, i agree. I think i'll play in ASCII mode because i'm used to it, and somehow like it this way. But the interface ....well, i think i'd really like a better military screen, and a better definition especially between v/t/l and "i/p" zoning, too, as well as the building options (which one is "w" which one is not), and some things like that.
A lot can be done.

In Arena mode, you can select your world. But i don't think it changes anything. Why is this option existing ?
 Another question (i hope it's not too suggestive), in Arena, too, we can create every type of creatures except the FB/Titans. I know it can be done otherwise by tweaking some options, but is it the way you wanted it, do you plan to change this ?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3192 on: April 24, 2020, 05:19:47 am »

Huh, I always thought that the different saves selected meant you could actually get results from the different raws in the save files, and for example access the generated raws as well. It doesn't do that?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: April 24, 2020, 05:21:01 am »

Huh, I always thought that the different saves selected meant you could actually get results from the different raws in the save files, and for example access the generated raws as well. It doesn't do that?
Pretty sure it does.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: April 24, 2020, 03:58:43 pm »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean ?
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 389