Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850281 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3360 on: July 28, 2020, 10:54:52 am »

Migrants themselves, yes, seem to be hardcoded to being dwarves (or whatever your main race is). But you can make non-dwarf visitors into citizens already so mechanically everything is in place. Just needs switching on.

Bringing in members other than your race might slightly undermine future dwarf hold activities. Topical dwarven subjects like artifacts (if nobody produces them, there are no internal familial disputes or explicit reprecussions) and guilds (dwarves usually live enough to be masters or legendary leading to big guilds, while a human will be lucky to be a expert and not die of old age or in a war) 

There's also plenty of sources of non-migrant joiners that don't exactly work. Like economic links offering no requests, and patricklundell will vouch for the many issues currently with the only non-fortress tamable & joinable creature of the gremlin in vanilla DF (and the pseudo-modded situation of whether semi-intelligent/tame full intelligent is purely defined as slavery)

Visitors for instance are notoriously hard to breed, ontop of the fact that they won't divorce if their partner is not present in the fortress, which you'd think would come naturally if you've moved a significant measure of distance apart to apply for citizenship but not extended visa to your family.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:57:53 am by FantasticDorf »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: July 28, 2020, 02:03:29 pm »

Are there any plans for non-dwarven (or fort race) migrants that exist in your civ and mixed civs?

I've been wanting to play a fortress thats kinda like Dorwinion and has a dichotomy between two different species of sentient people working in harmony, but I'm wondering if mechanically that's something that's going to be in the works.
As mentioned by others, you can bring in other races by accepting petitions from visiting scholars and performers, and with luck you may be able to get enough breeding pairs to get a generic base for one or more other races. The luck factor is important, though, because it seems the set of visitors available to your fortress gets determined at the embark, and they're not replaced when they die of old age and foolishly trying to enter the fortress when there's a full necro siege ongoing.
Successful breeding of other races more or less requires that you check the visitors (using Legends Mode info) for spouses that might migrate to the fortress as well, or, for the bachelors, that they're actually willing to commit to hetero marriages (using DFHack, as most won't). Avoid mercs and monster slayers, as they'll never become citizens, and definitely stay away from the bugged performance troupes (which is where most/all elves and goblins are found).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: July 28, 2020, 04:22:10 pm »

Are the icons sliders and other graphical parts of the interface that you're adding locked to the official tileset? I'm just wondering how the new interface will work for anyone who doesn't buy the Steam version. Or indeed in Steam's curses tileset, is that Curses plus graphical icons? Different icons to match the ASCII style? Presumably all the new rectangle drawing tools and such will be fully functional?

I guess it'll make more sense once we see the screenshots later.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 04:29:16 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: July 29, 2020, 01:45:38 am »

Are all new UI elements and any changes to current ones supporting keyboard only input?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: July 29, 2020, 09:59:33 am »

You mentioned in the dev blog that we're now able to set designations during unpaused play. Does that accompany some control over the play speed during play? Everything happens awfully quickly at 100FPS and awfully slowly at 5 FPS, will we have some ability to set min/max FPS during play?

I have to say that not having to pause the game to make any changes when things are running slow sounds like a great feature, I think I spend more time paused than running in older forts.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #3365 on: July 29, 2020, 11:55:58 am »

min/max FPS

setting a minimum framerate wouldn't really do anything, though. if the game needs more time to compute everything going on, well, it's going to take that time. it can't skip things.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: July 29, 2020, 12:37:36 pm »

@Buttery

We currently have this:
Alt =   and   Alt -  adjust the maximum FPS while playing.
Or you can change the keys to whatever you like while playing by ESC, Key Bindings, General, Increase FPS Limit (or Decrease...)
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: July 29, 2020, 06:05:17 pm »

In one of the recent dwarf fortress talks you mentioned a spell where the user sacrifices a bit of their flesh to bruise their target. Seeing a spell no one in their right mind would use made me wonder; in addition to the other myth generation configuration settings would how balanced magic is be another possible setting we could configure when generating the myth for a world? Like at one end is very underpowered the the other end is very over powered?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: July 29, 2020, 06:19:28 pm »

In one of the recent dwarf fortress talks you mentioned a spell where the user sacrifices a bit of their flesh to bruise their target. Seeing a spell no one in their right mind would use made me wonder; in addition to the other myth generation configuration settings would how balanced magic is be another possible setting we could configure when generating the myth for a world? Like at one end is very underpowered the the other end is very over powered?
Would that even be possible? The magic in the vanilla game right now is nowhere near balanced. Necromancers can make nightmare beasts, intelligent magical lieutenants and go on zombie horde rampages while other civs....can't. Is Mythgen really going to be able to judge how "Balanced" all it's systems are while generating them? Do we even want it to?

Not much magic vs lots of magic is about the best we can expect probably.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: July 29, 2020, 06:53:02 pm »

Spoiler: big quote stack (click to show/hide)

Whether or not it's possible to make will depend on whether Toady applies a numerical value to effects and costs, possibly through their syndromes severity and duration. It would then allow him to adjust the base values of those and make the power slider apply a variable modifier to determine how much stronger/weaker the severity and duration of effects are compared their costs.

So I bet toady could do it, but he'll have to make that an intended feature. They'd of course need to be tested and adjusted
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:58:11 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: July 30, 2020, 06:39:45 am »

Seeing a spell no one in their right mind would use

A do-damage-to-something-but-more-to-yourself attack has applications depending on the situation and how desperate you are. A little imagination is all you need to think of a situation where you'd be willing to knock someone out for the price of losing an arm if there's no other way for you to manage it and you feel that you really really need to get it done. Even something as weak as bruising for the price of flesh could have use, but it's situational usefulness depends a lot on what sort of flesh you're sacrificing and whether you can grow it back. Would you lose your earlobe to bruise your opponent's eye if you've decided that you can't beat them in a fair fight? Maybe. If it's a fight to the death, then probably.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: July 30, 2020, 05:37:35 pm »

Is the public going to get access to the Myth Generator program at some point? If not, why?
It seems like something you've already completed that doesn't seem to have much reason to not let people use, and it seems pretty cool and fun.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:51:47 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: July 30, 2020, 05:48:57 pm »

Is the public going to get access to the Myth Generator at some point? If not, why?
It seems like something you've already completed that doesn't seem to have much reason to not let people use.
Does it only work for the dev version of df or something?

I'm pretty sure that what he's using in the talk is a stand alone program that doesn't work with any version of DF.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: July 30, 2020, 05:51:19 pm »

Is the public going to get access to the Myth Generator at some point? If not, why?
It seems like something you've already completed that doesn't seem to have much reason to not let people use.

I'm pretty sure that what he's using in the talk is a stand alone program that doesn't work with any version of DF.
So why isn't it released? It sounds pretty fun and it seems usable.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: July 30, 2020, 05:55:07 pm »

So why isn't it released? It sounds pretty fun and it seems usable.
Because it would raise possibly false expectations for the final product.

The Mythgen prototype works on imagination. The actual envisaged product has Mythgen define how DF worlds actually work. The lore of your world from environments, magic, races, innate powers, random weirdness, HFS, everything. There will be a gap, and that won't be known until programming starts.

("False expectations" is from a previous fotf somewhere).

Edit:

Quote from: KittyTac
Would you consider releasing a version of your standalone myth generator prototype, like you showed off at GDC? I imagine that people would appreciate something to check out during the Big Wait.

I'd prefer not to do this.  I think it both has the bar too high in some places (effect lists, at least for release one, probably) and too low in others (most everything else.)  It's not reflective enough of what I want to do, and I don't want expectations to coalesce around it overmuch.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:29:09 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 389