Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850938 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3570 on: October 14, 2020, 05:09:29 am »

Not numbers, just the same 7 smiley / frowny face types from the UI but for each dwarf.  That would be my suggestion, but I'm more curious as to if the individual stress condition of the dwarves is accounted for.  I suppose it does border on suggestion territory.

So a big spreadsheet/list of smilies, akin to what the health screen is to wound descriptions? That comparison having been made, it would be strange if the mental health/stress screen doesn’t require some sort of ”noble” when the physical health screen does. The already designated consolers (expedition leaders/priests I believe?) perhaps?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: October 14, 2020, 07:19:23 am »

Again, I don't want to suggest how to make that information available.  I'm more curious as to if it will be available.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: October 15, 2020, 10:39:21 pm »

1) Relating to a question in the recent DF talk but maybe less severe: Will there be any way to let Goblins or other non-undead non-drinkers enjoy some food and booze just to sate their intemperance while they live at the fort?

2) If you make enough sweet, sweet, steam money will you keep the graphics artists working on to expand the graphics that make it into the steam release? For example making more complicated animal people images, more available parts for generated creatures, or making cool effects for magic?

3) You talked about improving military commands in the near future, as well as enemy armies doing things like building humiliating statues at your fort. Do you have any plans for armies to show up only planning to capture the single well-armed squad you send out to face them? How about having night trolls showing up to fulfill their kidnapping desires?

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: October 15, 2020, 11:04:31 pm »

I have a small question.  Will part of the future military/armies update also include things like rebalancing bows and crossbows?  Fixing how slow they are, fixing how dwarves will run up and start smashing enemies with their crossbows unless they have no direct path to them, and other such quirks.  Okay, two questions.  Would this also include making Throwing less ridiculous?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:13:58 pm by madpathmoth »

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: October 18, 2020, 09:07:13 am »

So far, there's only one type of attack and it is only per one creature, AFAIK. Caves of Qud has swipes, jabs, hook-and-grabs, dismembering, bloodletting etc. Shooting enemies with crossbows also may have variations - pinning, blinding, kicking back, suppressing return fire, etc. Would something like this be present in DF? Would you make such "abilities" tied to level of weapon mastery or would it be some other skill tree of sorts?
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3575 on: October 18, 2020, 10:05:34 am »

So far, there's only one type of attack and it is only per one creature, AFAIK. Caves of Qud has swipes, jabs, hook-and-grabs, dismembering, bloodletting etc. Shooting enemies with crossbows also may have variations - pinning, blinding, kicking back, suppressing return fire, etc. Would something like this be present in DF? Would you make such "abilities" tied to level of weapon mastery or would it be some other skill tree of sorts?

Dwarf Fortress has blunt attacks, sharp attacks, projectile attacks, grabs, throws, choking, gouging, shaking enemies by your teeth, and firebreathing, at the very least. Most of these can also have various properties and creatures can definitely use more that one type.
This will be expanded upon sometime, though, according to the development page:
  • Combat flow
    • Notion of stance/guard, with varying bonuses/penalties
    • Ability to jump up on and ride opponents if they are large enough (can happen to you too of course)
    • Not being able to hit a giant in the head, hitting a dragon in the head as a reaction when it attempts to bite
    • Notion of overall wrestling position (who is on top of or controlling whom, etc.)
  • Combat styles
    • Combat styles involving weapons or natural attacks with associated stances and moves
    • Ability to learn moves, etc. from others with whom you have a high enough reputation
    • Certain moves may only be available as specific counters, while others might just be regular attacks
    • Ability to create new moves/styles when highly skilled

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: October 18, 2020, 10:06:47 am »

So far, there's only one type of attack and it is only per one creature, AFAIK.

That's not accurate.  Even an untrained dwarf can make light, normal, heavy, wild, or precise attacks with their fists, nails, and teeth.  There's also wresting, which has pinches, joint locks and strangleholds.  Weapons usually have multiple types of attack options, and things like blinding, dismemberment, and bleeding are all direct repercussions of damage.  If you want to make something bleed, you don't need a special attack for it.  Aim for a part that bleeds; use a weapon that cuts and swing hard at a spot not well armored.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: October 19, 2020, 06:05:56 am »

Wow. I've attempted playing adventurer a couple of times but I was not aware of any of this. I thought combat is simply "arrowing" into an enemy.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: October 19, 2020, 07:29:26 am »

Wow. I've attempted playing adventurer a couple of times but I was not aware of any of this. I thought combat is simply "arrowing" into an enemy.

press 'shift+a' to open the attack menu - tons of options. Your statement is valuable, though - as you're certainly not the only person who missed the very complex combat system in DF. Hopefully the new UI will highlight this stuff easier.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 05:49:16 pm by delphonso »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: October 19, 2020, 02:45:47 pm »

press 'a' to open the attack menu - tons of options. Your statement is valuable, though - as you're certainly not the only person who missed the very complex combat system in DF. Hopefully the new UI will highlight this stuff easier.

It's Shift+A by default.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: October 19, 2020, 03:01:05 pm »

It's kind of weird how the entire base of the melee combat system is bound to Shift+A of all things.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: October 19, 2020, 05:49:51 pm »

It's Shift+A by default.

Good catch - edited my post.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: October 20, 2020, 06:52:12 am »

Adventure mode feels like a broken game - and this is coming from a fan of "walking simulators"!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: October 20, 2020, 07:03:36 am »

Adventure mode feels like a broken game - and this is coming from a fan of "walking simulators"!
Shhhhhhs kid! Don't conjure terrible, dark and ancient forces upon youself!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: October 20, 2020, 07:55:07 am »

"The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep. They are coming."
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 389