Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850859 times)

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3630 on: November 12, 2020, 08:54:33 am »

Oops. I forgot to ask you about the next equation Toady! :'( I suppose I'll do it now.

2. M >= (aSY/wSY + (A+1)*aSF/wSF) * (10 + 2*a_quality) / (Sha * w_quality)

Where does this equation come from? I went on a wild goose choose through the Internet to try and figure this one out, but to no avail. On the plus side, I learned a lot about fracture mechanics.

Here is the link to my original question, also: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8192435#msg8192435
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:59:50 am by Mim »
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: November 12, 2020, 11:48:49 am »

1. Have you considered opening an official DF swag shop? It would surely put a few coins in the piggybank...
:
Well, your promise promises a gross income from such a shop, but unless you can make a production on demand deal with no minimum volumes or deal setup costs, Toady is going to have to take a risk by putting money into making deals and getting stock, so there's no guaranteed positive economic outcome.
In addition to that, Toady doesn't seem to be the type that enjoys contractual and financial negotiations left, right, and center, and, finally, any time spent on managing a shop is time not spent on DF. If management could be offloaded to a trusted third party you'd be down to just the financial risk.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: November 12, 2020, 02:06:00 pm »

There are loads of services that allow one to simply upload a .jpg and put a paypal account email in - all the rest is covered by the service. I am not suggesting an actual shop with all the logistics and fuss.
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

Ketsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: November 12, 2020, 02:37:19 pm »

Will this new tileset be easily modable ?

I'm not convinced with what I saw.

missing depth and perspective, colors looks washed, total lack of character.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3634 on: November 12, 2020, 03:35:13 pm »

Yes. Afaik many of the existing graphics sets (at least those using TWBT) will be updated to match Premium as well, so soonish after the release there will be alternatives to the vanilla graphics.

Multi-level view will be supported, but if you want anything with yet more "depth and perspective" than the top-down view of the vanilla graphics, you'll have to use third-party visualizers like Stonesense or Armok Vision.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: November 12, 2020, 03:59:34 pm »

Yes. Afaik many of the existing graphics sets (at least those using TWBT) will be updated to match Premium as well, so soonish after the release there will be alternatives to the vanilla graphics.

If you want anything other than a slice-by-slice 2D view though, for more "depth and perspective", you'll have to use third-party visualizers like Stonesense or Armok Vision.

Do you mean multi-level view is no longer going to be supported?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: November 12, 2020, 04:02:06 pm »

I think is still a thing in the game.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: November 12, 2020, 04:24:01 pm »

1. Have you considered opening an official DF swag shop? It would surely put a few coins in the piggybank...

Toady's talked about not wanting to deal with this in the past, and when asked, Kitfox has also seemed disinterested, at this time at least.

I think it's unfortunate, because looking at the number of stolen art tshirt scammers alone we remove on /r/dwarffortress, and the enthusiastic upvoting we see for them, there are certainly many people convinced there's money there.

[snip]
[snip]
If you want anything other than a slice-by-slice 2D view though, for more "depth and perspective", you'll have to use third-party visualizers like Stonesense or Armok Vision.

They've made major design choices based on multilevel view being in the game, and Meph's commented relatively recently on the implementation of it, so I'm fairly certain it's still going to be supported. I don't think they've announced any graphics features that will be exclusive to Premium except the art itself.
Team Bug Fix!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3638 on: November 12, 2020, 04:31:44 pm »

That was poorly worded. No, it will be supported, now natively (pretty sure multi-level view before/currently was/is a DFhack feature?).
I was talking about isometric and true 3D view, as I've seen people asking about them before (in relation to Premium), and Ketsa mentioned "more perspective", something you won't get from simple tile-swaps.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: November 12, 2020, 05:34:50 pm »

Oh I see. That would require either a engine rewrite or some serious plugin with A LOT of work.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: November 12, 2020, 06:14:56 pm »

Armok Vision to the rescue! :D
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: November 12, 2020, 07:19:41 pm »

Isometric, from what I've read, isn't outside the realm of possibility, but definately won't be in the first graphical release.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: November 15, 2020, 02:54:00 am »

Why RAISED_GHOST interactions are currently removed from the game?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: November 15, 2020, 04:04:56 am »

Why RAISED_GHOST interactions are currently removed from the game?
Too many bugs.
(That's if it's related to raising intelligent ghost lieutenants. Toady mentions it in the devblog somewhere).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: November 16, 2020, 12:21:41 am »

2. M >= (aSY/wSY + (A+1)*aSF/wSF) * (10 + 2*a_quality) / (Sha * w_quality)

You do the dimensional analysis on it and find that it's basically just unitless nonsense creating a "good-enough" value that allows for all of quality, material and sharpness to matter. The left-hand side is in units of MLT-1 and the right-hand side is, as far as I can tell, dimensionless; obviously aSY/wSY and aSF/wSF are dimensionless, but sharpness, too, is dimensionless, being relative to a given value, and contact area is... well, maybe unitless, it could also be united, in which case you've got MLT-1 = L2, which, no it ain't.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 389