Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850383 times)

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3645 on: November 17, 2020, 03:36:05 pm »

Will there be a fix of famously useless professions / workshop entries before Steam release? As far as I am aware it's only a matter of adding some entries in raw files so it should be really easy compared to all the bug-fixing.
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3646 on: November 17, 2020, 04:56:16 pm »

Will there be a fix of famously useless professions / workshop entries before Steam release? As far as I am aware it's only a matter of adding some entries in raw files so it should be really easy compared to all the bug-fixing.
Which are these? The alchemist profession? The liquid fire a mog hopper juice reactions? Asking out of curiosity, and as a clearer question will lead to a clearer answer as well.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: November 17, 2020, 05:15:18 pm »

Everything is really easy compared to hard things. Problem is there are thousands and thousands of them and some things (like making a UI) have to be prioritized over....whatever you're asking for here. Probably ought to clarify. Things that are "famous" to a niche portion of forum people likely aren't known through subtle hints to anyone else, including the people who make the game.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: November 17, 2020, 06:07:34 pm »

I think he's probably talking about stuff like fish dissection. I'm pretty sure most people who play the game have had enough legendary fish dissectors arrive and their fort to know how useless that skill is.

Honestly I'd rate the fact that migrants can waste their lives learning terrible skills that make even stuff like beekeeping seem good in comparison is probably more subtly impactful to the game's experience than a lot of stuff people complain about, and I'm sure that more players have started cursing and been frustrated at waves of legendary cheesemakers than the wagon despawning bug, or raid based crashing, or the age of goblins or any of bugs that seem bigger on the surface.

Its also probably not good for getting new players in if they see skills like animal caretaking and try to figure out what it does, not knowing that the answer is "pretty much nothing".
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: November 17, 2020, 10:02:08 pm »

But as long as the information is actually available, which is what this development arc is about, there's no need to change anything.

Step 6 of tutorial, Migrant Wave, "profession=highest skill, not an actual job the dwarf needs to do. Set them to work doing whatever you need".

That's quite a bit quicker than spending years on completing the professions arc before release, isn't it?

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #3650 on: November 18, 2020, 02:56:25 am »

regarding your latest blog post - will the "v-q-t-k look-and-do-stuff command set" be unified into one keyboard command? it's always tripped me up that they all do slightly different subsets of what feels like should be the same thing.

also, don't take this as a complaint or anything, i'm just curious - how often do you update the development page?

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: November 18, 2020, 05:44:19 am »

I think he's probably talking about stuff like fish dissection. I'm pretty sure most people who play the game have had enough legendary fish dissectors arrive at their fort to know how useless that skill is.

Honestly I'd rate the fact that migrants can waste their lives learning terrible skills that make even stuff like beekeeping seem good in comparison is probably more subtly impactful to the game's experience than a lot of stuff people complain about, and I'm sure that more players have started cursing and been frustrated at waves of legendary cheesemakers than the wagon despawning bug, or raid based crashing, or the age of goblins or any of bugs that seem bigger on the surface.

Its also probably not good for getting new players in if they see skills like animal caretaking and try to figure out what it does, not knowing that the answer is "pretty much nothing".

Yeah, don't mind me...FTFY?

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: November 18, 2020, 08:43:53 am »

I think he's probably talking about stuff like fish dissection. I'm pretty sure most people who play the game have had enough legendary fish dissectors arrive and their fort to know how useless that skill is.

Basically I meant extending extracts made in various workshops - https://www.dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Extracts is very empty.

On a similar note, making cooked foods cost less and paper industry products cost more would also be a simple fix, but one that prevents severe imbalance that leads to either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard gameplay experience without any reason whatsoever.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:49:39 am by ror6ax »

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: November 18, 2020, 09:50:54 am »

Can we have a separate thread for Steam achievement ideas?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3654 on: November 18, 2020, 10:09:15 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175041 It already exists. ;)

Basically I meant extending extracts made in various workshops - https://www.dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Extracts is very empty.

On a similar note, making cooked foods cost less and paper industry products cost more would also be a simple fix, but one that prevents severe imbalance that leads to either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard gameplay experience without any reason whatsoever.

These are reading more and more like suggestions. Put them over in the suggestions forum for better handling (especially if you have more).

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: November 18, 2020, 02:04:52 pm »

These are reading more and more like suggestions. Put them over in the suggestions forum for better handling (especially if you have more).

My apologies to all, then, for trying to help - it just seems to be what happens when you try to include proper context to the original question, hence the limegreening on my part.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: November 18, 2020, 04:16:01 pm »

My apologies to all, then, for trying to help - it just seems to be what happens when you try to include proper context to the original question, hence the limegreening on my part.
Your original question then was, "Will you expand the workshop extracts system for Steam release (as it seems incomplete)"?

Likely no. Toady's previously answered that the focus of this release is not to add new content unless absolutely necessary (to fit with the new UI, replace the hated labour system, etc). The more new stuff is added, the more likely it is to break everything else. Better he spends the bug fixing phase fixing UI bugs than something he's accidentally broken elsewhere (often happens in as complex a simulation as this that things which seem unrelated all effect one another and break down terribly).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 04:19:12 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: November 18, 2020, 05:13:04 pm »

Just curious, is there an integration test suite or every release gets manually playtested for not introducing bugs?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: November 18, 2020, 05:27:15 pm »

Just curious, is there an integration test suite or every release gets manually playtested for not introducing bugs?
Playtested by whom? Scamps?

I don't mean crash bugs (Toady has a set of tools for testing his new features, yes). I mean "adding mugs to the game causes cats to die of alcohol poisoning" bugs. How would an automated system ever know to look for that. Which leaves you with letting Zach and Scamps test the game, or thousands of players. And previously he tried the "closed set of playtesters" thing and bugs were found by the thousands of players anyway. Delay with zero result.

(Steam release will apparently get some closed playtesting anyhow - we'll see how effective that is...).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 05:32:12 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: November 18, 2020, 05:52:36 pm »

Playtested by whom? Scamps?

I'm starting to feel like I'm upsetting people by asking questions to what is supposed to be a AMA thread.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 389