Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850890 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3705 on: December 04, 2020, 12:55:44 pm »

Probably been asked before but will magic be able to use components? so the 50 barrels of dragonfly blood that the traders keep trying to pawn off on me will have some real (non Armok-related, of course) use?
Yes. Not sure which materials/items will be up for picks though. I think all the materials in the mythgen demos we’ve seen were procedurally generated, but those demos are far from representative of the final product.

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: December 04, 2020, 01:15:49 pm »

Oh ok, good to know.  :D
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

mgsicko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: December 07, 2020, 03:28:13 am »

how much are we, as players, going to be able to influence myth gen? will it have its own section in advanced world generation to determine things? E.g if i really want a world which is bound to fall during an apocalypse, is that something i will be able to generate on purpose?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: December 07, 2020, 06:25:40 am »

how much are we, as players, going to be able to influence myth gen? will it have its own section in advanced world generation to determine things? E.g if i really want a world which is bound to fall during an apocalypse, is that something i will be able to generate on purpose?
The prototype Toady demonstrated was all controllable by text raws so seems like it's to be developed that way, yes. Plus a fixed world editor is to be part of one of the releases in the arc, so you'll have full control over what Mythgen pulls up (amongst other things). Of course, issues might crop up, changing any of this once the work begins in a couple of years.

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: December 08, 2020, 05:55:50 am »

1. Any chance we get a GOG release?

This has been addressed elsewhere by Kitfox Games, who have been engaged to handle these sorts of details.

They said basically that they weren't opposed to the idea, but already had extensive connections with itch.io and Steam, but none with GOG.

I like GOG myself, as I'm a fan of retro games they often sell for cheap, but I don't really care where I buy DF. Is there any particular reason you have for wanting to buy it from GOG that I could pass on to Kitfox?
I buy my games preferably on GOG because I like em DRM free. There is no guarantee what happends to my library if steam goes bankrupt or will be bought by somebody else. Unlikely but possible.

2. Will it be visually perceptible if a creature is hurt or will it be shown what body parts are injured/missing?
We have already seen footages of guts so yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LaVZn2QKuA&list=PLcOt9GXNrkgiejOzLVHGU8ra8VwAv0Knw&index=3&ab_channel=Blind

Thank you!
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: December 08, 2020, 06:38:22 am »

This has been addressed elsewhere by Kitfox Games, who have been engaged to handle these sorts of details.

They said basically that they weren't opposed to the idea, but already had extensive connections with itch.io and Steam, but none with GOG.

I like GOG myself, as I'm a fan of retro games they often sell for cheap, but I don't really care where I buy DF. Is there any particular reason you have for wanting to buy it from GOG that I could pass on to Kitfox?
I buy my games preferably on GOG because I like em DRM free. There is no guarantee what happends to my library if steam goes bankrupt or will be bought by somebody else. Unlikely but possible.

2. Will it be visually perceptible if a creature is hurt or will it be shown what body parts are injured/missing?
We have already seen footages of guts so yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LaVZn2QKuA&list=PLcOt9GXNrkgiejOzLVHGU8ra8VwAv0Knw&index=3&ab_channel=Blind

Thank you!
Game will still be free at Bay12Games when that happens.
And likely approaching 70% complete by then.  :)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: December 08, 2020, 06:44:38 am »

Buy from Itch then. They're DRM free, same as GOG.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: December 08, 2020, 10:20:56 am »

Thank you!
Game will still be free at Bay12Games when that happens.
And likely approaching 70% complete by then.  :)
No.
The Premium version contents would probably not become available on Bay12Games just because the (currently) biggest outlet folds, and there's no reasonable data available to predict when any particular supply model obsolescence or company practice may result in a decision to take the money and run (but Steam and it's Epic clone wannabe have given themselves the rights to do so whenever they feel like it in their EULAs, no questions answered).

However, it seems Itch.io doesn't reserve themselves the right to remove the game from your hard disk (I haven't read their EULA carefully, though).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: December 08, 2020, 11:05:47 am »

It does not have the ability to remove the came from your disk because they don't have DRM of any kind and also you don't need the launcher in order to download the game. It gives browser downloads by default, with the launcher being optional.

LordL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: December 08, 2020, 04:35:34 pm »

Will myth generator make "Adam and Eve" for each civ (or maybe even each species)? That would be very logical. It's strange to see some historical figures born on like year -80 in current
version

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: December 08, 2020, 05:01:01 pm »

Will myth generator make "Adam and Eve" for each civ (or maybe even each species)? That would be very logical. It's strange to see some historical figures born on like year -80 in current
version

Written history begins in year 0. Why is it strange that people exist before written history begins?

Besides, it's a fantasy game myth generator. Dwarves created from clay, elves created when the clay mates with the moledog of Elestior, etc. Read some fantasy to see how "logical" it tends to be.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: December 08, 2020, 05:56:44 pm »

version

Written history begins in year 0. Why is it strange that people exist before written history begins?

Besides, it's a fantasy game myth generator. Dwarves created from clay, elves created when the clay mates with the moledog of Elestior, etc. Read some fantasy to see how "logical" it tends to be.
Or just read any real world creation myth (like the one about Adam's second wife Eve)...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: December 08, 2020, 09:28:56 pm »

Logical? I don't think so. Two isn't a stable breeding population for any animal, they'd soon die off. And if the start of the world can make two beings, why not more?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

LordL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: December 09, 2020, 02:10:19 am »

version

Well anyway it would be good to do something with people being born before year 0. Right now there is just no real explaination.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3719 on: December 09, 2020, 02:26:48 am »

I wouldn’t put off the concept entirely, while it is biologically implausible, remember this is meant as a part of mythgen, simulating fantasy and thereby RL myths. Myths don’t need to be plausible, and only a few individuals being the precursors of an entire population (or all of creation) is a popular theme in RL religions.
E.g. the abrahamitic religions have it twice for the humans, and once for the animals, and norse myth also has it twice for the humans. And then there’s the entire deal with (un-)coupled earth and sky beings, often leading to the birth of all gods from a singular source.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 389